Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
For everyones information my N900 is used 24/7 and is NEVER off, so i think i have the right to say its actually been bench tested especially after this time since flashing BUT the only thing i did not do was overclock because quite frankly your asking for big trouble as the N900 neither has vent or fan capabilities and in time the heat will damage the pcb especially around the cpu area.
Now as i am probably about the 100+++ or so people that i have actually read myself on this forum that reported never had problems with the leaked fw then i think thats fair comment for all you know it all's OK?.
The problem is, that you concluse from, lets say 20 people to everyone. If you're not using the parts that are still buggy, lucky you. But that does not mean, that this firmware is 100% usable (which it is not) or doesn't cause any harm.
Before the pcb is being damaged by the heat of the CPU the N900 shuts itself down, Mr. Sir Engineer. Didn't you know that?

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@zehjotkah: it's ok dude... i've checked his character card.. .and in the statistics, turns out he's impervious to reasoning and common sense...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sophocha View Post
Motherboards can withstand a LOT of heat....my main PC is 2.0@2.8Mhz for the past 6 years with a scortching hot northbridge without a fan!....so don`t worry so much about destroying your device....the phone is not even hot to the touch when it`s at 100% cpu @ 900Mhz....it will shorten the life of the cpu but until the cpu dies you`ll be buying an N3000!.....ahaha
do you think there might be a logical explanation why N900 isn't warm and heatsink of your mobo is warm?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
do you think there might be a logical explanation why N900 isn't warm and heatsink of your mobo is warm?
My point is that hardware are made to last for at least 10 years or so....now if we overclock we shorten this timespan, but it won`t die on us in a month ( if we are careful of course.... don`t go out in direct sun for hours and expect it to be fine)....use common sense and the phone will be fine.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
I do not overclock it constaltly. I found cpufrequi to be much better, I only overclock it for specific functions. Like psx4all, maybe vgba, youtube on microb etc. But from my experience it doesn't get hot a lot, even when playing for an hour @ 900mhz.

Now wi-fi on the other hand gets my N900 very hot. If I browse for an amount of time, the device gets very hot. So if the N900 was designed to withstand the heat of wi-fi (at least I hope it was), I am sure that heat won't be a major issue for the processor.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
I do not overclock it constaltly. I found cpufrequi to be much better, I only overclock it for specific functions. Like psx4all, maybe vgba, youtube on microb etc. But from my experience it doesn't get hot a lot, even when playing for an hour @ 900mhz.

Now wi-fi on the other hand gets my N900 very hot. If I browse for an amount of time, the device gets very hot. So if the N900 was designed to withstand the heat of wi-fi (at least I hope it was), I am sure that heat won't be a major issue for the processor.
After playing Spotify music for 30 minutes over WiFi, my N900 was hot. Almost hot enough to make me not touch it. I don't overclock at all so I'd say this is all about energy output.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
How much damage overclocking does or running leaked firmware does is a matter of carefully accumulating evidence. It is not a matter of yelling HA HA every time someone has problems. That is called being rude.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by sophocha View Post
Motherboards can withstand a LOT of heat....my main PC is 2.0@2.8Mhz for the past 6 years with a scortching hot northbridge without a fan!....so don`t worry so much about destroying your device....the phone is not even hot to the touch when it`s at 100% cpu @ 900Mhz....it will shorten the life of the cpu but until the cpu dies you`ll be buying an N3000!.....ahaha
The difference between your pc and the N900 is the N900 does not have a heatsink attatched to the cpu nor an internal fan nor a venting system, so the heat generated will in fact go straight to the m/b so in the end you will end up with dry joints and that alone will cause no ends of problems.
PS Heat is the biggest killer of all electronic equipment. (but am sure some know it all will argue that even!)

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
The difference between your pc and the N900 is the N900 does not have a heatsink attatched to the cpu nor an internal fan nor a venting system, so the heat generated will in fact go straight to the m/b so in the end you will end up with dry joints and that alone will cause no ends of problems.
PS Heat is the biggest killer of all electronic equipment. (but am sure some know it all will argue that even!)
I'm no know-it-all, but I believe you're completely wrong on this point. Leak is the #1 killer on electronic equipments. They let the smoke out, which is what these devices run on.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
I have a 1994 Honda with a main relay with dry joints and it took it 15 years for the joints to become dry It was a designers fault of hooking the relay really close to the heater!....you are correct....dry joints will cause problems, but as all of us know next year we`ll be salivating for the N1000 so the argument of destroying our device will not be valid