Hi everyone,

I just was thinking what kind of operating system if it.

Would this by as Maemmo an operating system only for smal devices or will it be an operating system for every king of computers like Ubuntu or Windows?

Someone knows?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by acano View Post
Hi everyone,

Would this by as Maemmo an operating system only for smal devices or will it be an operating system for every king of computers like Ubuntu or Windows?

Someone knows?
It's focussed on portable devices - tablets, phones, netbooks, that type of thing - but there's no real reason you couldn't run it on a desktop as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
I guess the focus is on internet based devices as opposed to the traditional desktop.
When it is linux you'll see it everywhere soon.
Quite sure MeeGo will be no different.

The Following User Says Thank You to amarjyoti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Hi everyone,

Someone knows?
The focus is on small devices like smartphones, tablets, Connected TVs and In-Vehicle computer systems.

The Following User Says Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
So, could it be to the level of Ubuntu or will be it no so powerful.

It's Linux.. so go from there.

The biggest difference is going to be the interface design and layout... Ubuntu is for mice and accurate clicking... MeeGo and other mobile OS's are more for Finger-friendliness.

So if you don't mind expanded 800x600 buttons on your desktop monitor I'm sure you'll be fine
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Ubuntu and other similar distros come prepackaged with every thing you need for making a standard PC work. For example, it comes with drivers for CD/DVD drives, etc. MeeGo will not. On the other hand, it won't be too hard to add those missing bits. It is Linux underneath after all.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
It's Linux.. so go from there.

The biggest difference is going to be the interface design and layout... Ubuntu is for mice and accurate clicking... MeeGo and other mobile OS's are more for Finger-friendliness.

So if you don't mind expanded 800x600 buttons on your desktop monitor I'm sure you'll be fine
I am already fine when using my N900 connected to the BIG TV of my home. That would not be a problem.

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Ubuntu and other similar distros come prepackaged with every thing you need for making a standard PC work. For example, it comes with drivers for CD/DVD drives, etc. MeeGo will not. On the other hand, it won't be too hard to add those missing bits. It is Linux underneath after all.
And this support would available easiely like the "zypper" for OpenSuse or apt-get for debia, or it would be more difficult to obtain (I mean, find .rpm files and install them manually).?