I was readily able to install Python-2.4 on my 770 last year from the Maemo Repository, but when I recently tried to upgrade to Python-2.5 through the same repository, it couldn't be done because there is apparently a dependency missing -- Osso Thumbnail (or something). Has anyone else had this problem, or been able to upgrade on the 770? Or is Python-2.5 only able to be installed on the N800?

No, I installed it on my 770 after upgrading to 3.2006. Do you have the latest version ?

I don't recall any problems with the apps manager. Than again maybe I was in Red Pill mode...

Fpp: I myself upgraded to 3.2006.49.2 several days ago, and it is on that version that I'm unable to successfully install Python-2.5., because of the missing Osso Thumbnail dependency. Maybe your Red Pill mode had the missing Thumbnail. Anyway, thanks for your response. At least I now know that it can be done, somehow.

I seem to remember that I did it the lazy way, from the new Applications tab on maemo.org, with the "one-click-on-the-green-arrow-install", right here :
http://downloads.maemo.org/product/python/

Is that failing for you ?

Fpp: It's all very strange. The "repository.maemo.org" is in my Application Manger's Application catalogue, but when I "refresh" it only shows python2.4-runtime as being available, but the web site you pointed me to shows that python2.5-runtime can be downloaded. I did then download that version to my pc and copied it to my 770 using the usb cable, but then the Application Manager wouldn't even TRY to install it when I sought to "open" it (which is the usual way I've installed applications to my 770). My Maemo repository in my application catalogue is listed as "free," "non-free" and "free non-free," just to cover all the options. It still doesn't seem to contain (or download at least) any python other than the 2.4 version. I'm stumped.

Fpp: I finally managed to get python2.5-runtime installed. I copied the following source list to my application catalog, refreshed, and there it finally was on the list of applications which could be installed. In which specific repository it was lurking, I don't know. Anyway, thanks again. Jim

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Applicati...riesSourceList

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Noblesville, IN USA
I have only had Python 2.5 on my n800 because I have only had it for several weeks. I have hit a number of applications that are uninstallable with the explanation that the apps are dependent on Python 2.4. The one I really want to install is Shisen-Sho. Shouldn't apps that were developed for 2.4 work on 2.5? Should I install 2.4 instead, if possible?

-- rhackenb