Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
I know that carriers/frequencies on the next Maemo device is something that is far from being determined at this point. However, since there are Nokia employees on this forum, I'd like to throw in my vote that the next Maemo device also support T-Mobile's 3G on 1700 MHz, just like the N900 supports. If the Maemo 6 device supports provisioning for MfE and 1700MHz 3G, I'll buy it as soon as its available for pre-order.

As further support for 1700 MHz, Wind is a new carrier in Canada with the same 3G frequencies as T-Mobile USA, so more reason to support it.

I'd also like to thank Nokia for the Maemo platform and all the hard work they've put in to it. Its better than the iPhone and Android in my opinion. Anything which has apt-get, python, and other Linuxy goodness is a phone is awesome in my book!

The Following User Says Thank You to rjzak For This Useful Post:
3G upgrades would of course be nice, but I'm more interested in integrated 4G with new Maemo devices. 4G is the new mobile Internet, and it's already available in my area and I would move to it if I just had hardware with it integrated. I'd rather not use a dongle sticking off the side of my phone, it'd be silly.

Lets hope that a simple chip with HSDPA for 850/900/1700/1900/2100 support will be available by the time of the N920 (or whatever they call it).

If thats the case then a simple version of the phone will be able to cover the whole globe.

As of LTE/4G is still too early to discuss it.
If you refer to WiMAX that Sprint calls 4G is NOT 4G so it is out of discussion as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to nMIK-3 For This Useful Post:
I think at CES there was this new thing that could efficiently run GSM and CDMA (well the next CDMA Verizon is moving onto) frequencies without significant power drain (the reason why you don't see all devices having all of them besides expense in passing regulations).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by nMIK-3 View Post
Lets hope that a simple chip with HSDPA for 850/900/1700/1900/2100 support will be available by the time of the N920 (or whatever they call it).

If thats the case then a simple version of the phone will be able to cover the whole globe.

If you refer to WiMAX that Sprint calls 4G is NOT 4G so it is out of discussion as well.
I would like to echo this sentiment, though I'll be honest and admit that I slightly more selfish in that I really only care about 850/1700/1900/2100 (i.e. the 3G bands used in the US).

I would also like to humble request that there be multiple (at least 2) SIM slots, so that the very rich among us (there are some right?) can subscribe to multiple data plans and have the very fastest coverage everywhere!!!

Oh, I forgot, Motorola reportedly has a chip that does AT&T and T-mobile 3G in the works, slated for release in handsets later this year, so...it's totally within the realm of possibility.

Last edited by iamNarada; 2010-01-10 at 00:07. Reason: That Moto tidbit

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Please elaborate, thanks.

Indeed. Stockholm, Oslo and i belive Helsinki are getting some LTE love this year from TeliaSonera. Stockholm already having the LTE up and running. 2010 won't yet be big year for LTE(I mean China and India are just building the 3G infracture ), but i'm sure Nokia with Nokia Siemens Network will be one of the first ones to offer LTE phones when the coverage is enough and they can start making money

WiMAX is just faster Wi-Fi that is designed to cover large cities. Nothing more nothing less. It's just Wi-fi technology and NOT a cellular standard completely different. The only recognizable 4G mode from the related associations is LTE.

The whole 4G/WiMAX fiasco that Spint is advertising is nothing more than false marketing.

The whole 4G/WiMAX fiasco that Spint is advertising is nothing more than false marketing.
Sorry, I had to reply to this... "False marketing" is the most interesting statement I've heard in a while

Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
Sorry, I had to reply to this... "False marketing" is the most interesting statement I've heard in a while
Glad you liked it