I just bought a new Nokia N9, after two more thn two years of the N900, and I'm concerned about the battery. I've had the phone for over a week, and the battery never seems to last more than 24 hours, of doing nothing.

I haven't done anything to the phone yet, installed Wazapp and a couple of games, and nothing more.

A "top" in the terminal doesn't reveal anything consuming and excessive amount of CPU, nothing goes over 1% of cpu usage.

I have it on minimum brightness. Network mode on GSM only (I have perfect signal in here).

I have it constantly connected to WIFI and Wazapp is in background (which by the way is the last coderus version nightly34).

The firmware is: PR1.3 (40.2012.21-3_PR_006). And I think that's all... Is WiFi connection really that consuming. When it goes on power saving mode it lasts more, but in the way I have the phone, I don't know what else that does apart from disconnecting WiFi.

Is there anything I can do to keep it going as much as possible?

UPDATE: This update is after post #9

I disabled smartsearch through
Code:
chmod -x /usr/bin/smartsearch
and rebooting. I also disconnected WiFi and battery consuming went done a lot. It's taken like 2-3 hours to drop 3-4% (I didn't write it down but it's that more or less), which gives around 2.5-4 full days of battery. I thought I had closed Wazapp too but it was open, so I guess I can cross that out of the list. It was either the connection or smartsearch. I will try again after another charge cycle to go with WiFi connection and see what happens:

Question: Does it take more battery to keep the phone constantly connected to the internet through 3G or GPRS or WiFi. I heard that generally WiFi is better because as it's usually faster everything will be done faster and less battery will be consumed, but I hardly browse or download anything, I'm asking about the connection itself.

Thanks.

Last edited by Ferfer93; 2013-09-07 at 23:05.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Power saving mode helps. If you don't need to receive calls during night, you can put flight mode on. You might want to try disabling smartsearch if that has any effect for you.

I don't know if Wazapp could be a culprit, but you can of course try not running it as a test.

Thanks for the reply. I will try a few tests with Wazapp and internet connections.

I will first try smartsearch as a lot of people complains, and then I will go for the rest. I will be updating.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
Wazapp running drains the battery.

Yeah leaving Wazapp running will drain the battery a bit faster. Though not as fast as for the OP.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
I may be wrong, but wazapp probably uses less battery than Skype or the integrated facebook chat (not that the latter appears to be working at the moment.

profilematic is an excellent app to help you manage your profile, sounds and things like internet and chat connections which will in turn give you more battery efficiency.

Thanks for the answers. I will try profilematic, but I don't use skype or facebook. Or nothing like that, plus when power saving mode goes on, it doesn't close Wazapp, it just disconnects it from the internet by closing all connections and whatever else it does, and the difference it makes is very big.

Right now, I have disabled smartsearch, rebooted. It's connected to wifi and wazapp is on, and the battery screen of settings says: 88% of battery and 19 hours of time left. State of battery: Good. Is this normal? I will try closing wazapp and disconnecting from wifi without turning power saving mode on.

Last edited by Ferfer93; 2013-09-07 at 18:45.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
"Good" is normal, there isn't a better condition. Not sure if this will help, I wrote it many moons ago http://nokiaindependent.com/2012/05/...battery-power/

Originally Posted by jpfsn View Post
"Good" is normal, there isn't a better condition. Not sure if this will help, I wrote it many moons ago http://nokiaindependent.com/2012/05/...battery-power/
Thanks, it was useful.

Originally Posted by Ferfer93 View Post
I disabled smartsearch through
Code:
chmod -x /usr/bin/smartsearch
and rebooting. I also disconnected WiFi and battery consuming went done a lot. It's taken like 2-3 hours to drop 3-4% (I didn't write it down but it's that more or less), which gives around 2.5-4 full days of battery. I thought I had closed Wazapp too but it was open, so I guess I can cross that out of the list. It was either the connection or smartsearch. I will try again after another charge cycle to go with WiFi connection and see what happens:

Question: Does it take more battery to keep the phone constantly connected to the internet through 3G or GPRS or WiFi. I heard that generally WiFi is better because as it's usually faster everything will be done faster and less battery will be consumed, but I hardly browse or download anything, I'm asking about the connection itself.

Thanks.

Hey, just FYI, I just got my recently bought N9 turned into my new main phone yesterday and get about 3-4 days worth of standby time according to that Battery thing in Settings.

I also got Wazapp (0.9.22) installed and running, am on wifi and have 3G activated, but mostly I've been on Wifi so far. Also, my facebook feed updates every 3 hours, mails every hour on peek time. Weather updates happen I don't know how often.

However, I did not mess around with smartsearch or anything else. The phone was factory reset before I started using it, so I suppose in general it's turned on. I have, however, not really put a lot of data into the phone's memory except around 400 contacts and one song. So far it seems it didn't affect my battery life as much as it did affect yours.