Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Not everyone is interested to contributing to the browser, even though there have been significant outside contributions, as with the document viewer. On the other hand there are closed components with a lot of enhancement requests (messaging UI, lockscreen, email client, calendar,...) where I think contributions would be very likely - or are even already kinda happening via patches.
Sure, but I guess my hidden point is that open sourcing things isn't the solution for everything and people will suddenly drop all their projects and work on Sailfish.

The browser in particular is a hot hate target (see other TMO threads) and yet not many people bother with it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Sure, but I guess my hidden point is that open sourcing things isn't the solution for everything and people will suddenly drop all their projects and work on Sailfish.

The browser in particular is a hot hate target (see other TMO threads) and yet not many people bother with it.
Not to mention there are a number of native alternatives:

https://github.com/llelectronics/webcat
https://github.com/Dax89/harbour-webpirate
https://github.com/tworaz/quicksilver

All the native apps are replaceable, if you don't like them then write a replacement.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
[OT]I for one don't bother because I have alternatives that work better. Not so much for Phone or Messages.[/OT]

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Who the heck holds a phone like that?
That is nice and comfortable way compared to the way I hold my Jolla. Dropped it last week. It was third time I dropped it in a way that broke glass.

First two time just gave a broken line each time. This lastest drop created a screen with few dozen broken lines. Now it is like a jigsaw puzle of pain peeling the skin of my fingers. No spare parts left, said the official repair shop.

The dream is dying. To be honest it already died on Elopcalypse. Jolla just gave me few more years to dream.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I'm changing tempered glass protectors on every serious drop, but the screen is still fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I'm changing tempered glass protectors on every serious drop, but the screen is still fine.
How many times has your phone (seriously) dropped?

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
No spare parts left, said the official repair shop.

The dream is dying. To be honest it already died on Elopcalypse. Jolla just gave me few more years to dream.
grab a new Jolla for €169 or get a NEXUS5 to extend the dream

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
as intex told me on twitter:

The product is coming in the month of December / January. for more information stay tuned.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by asa View Post
I'm interested. What's the easiest way to put SFOS to the Nexus? Can a beginner do it? Sorry for offtopic
reading through the HADK. Am currently trying to port to Nexus 5x with no luck.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
...and it runs Android apps?

The community ports are starting to get pretty good but without an Android layer, Sailfish is not viable for many.
nope no android, although some are getting closer to getting it to work, but that's no guarantee.

But theres some cool stuff happening like Tworaz's work on getting the Chromium engine to work on Sailfish. The showcase browser works better than all the currently developed browsers.

I think his work + Dax's UI would make something special.

If anyone does check it out, its best to install all the packages and then restart phone. also theres no UI back button, its just a left or right swipe.(cant remember which side.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
but is it just a browser? how is it related to android support? in a similar way of cromeos

Tags
jolla bolla