Notices

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Serbia
Originally Posted by Mc_mice View Post
TMarki, in landscape mode I cannot see the volume control button ( on the lower left side) It is hidden under the progress bar, i guess. I can see /use the button in potrait mode.
Thanks, I suspect this is an issue with the theme you have.

Watch out for the next release, I'll add different button sizes, as well as the button grouping/hiding that will surely solve your problem.

Originally Posted by Mc_mice View Post
Also the volume control bar hides when using it, should it be like this , or hide it after not used for sometime?
It hides after a few seconds, regardless of use.

The Following User Says Thank You to TMarki For This Useful Post:
Hi

I downloaded TomAmp today but it just keeps freezing. Any help welcome, thanks.

Originally Posted by Sylviajeanni View Post
I downloaded TomAmp today but it just keeps freezing. Any help welcome, thanks.
You'll need to give a little bit more info than that...

What are you trying to play?
What file format?
Does it freeze in the same song, maybe on the same position?
What version of Maemo 5 do you have installed?
Do other applications/players freeze too?
Any other factors you think might be releavant (overclocking, software, etc)?

Thanks

Nice how TomAmp continues to play without stuttering when the screen goes into powersave mode (other players like EasyPlayer and Symfonie have problems here).

A problem is when you have many files lacking embedded metadata.
The Artist and Album columns become empty, and in the Title column every line looks like "/home/user/MyDocs/.sounds/Foo/blahaha.ogg", which is too long to fit.
Perhaps better if the common prefix /home/user/MyDocs/.sounds was skipped from all of these, and Foo was presented in the Artist column.
(should there be another directory level below Foo, it could be presented as Album)

Last edited by drhex; 2010-09-08 at 14:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to drhex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TMarki View Post
You'll need to give a little bit more info than that...

What are you trying to play?
What file format?
Does it freeze in the same song, maybe on the same position?
What version of Maemo 5 do you have installed?
Do other applications/players freeze too?
Any other factors you think might be releavant (overclocking, software, etc)?

Thanks
Firstly thanks for replying I'm not an techie just an end user very keen to have a decent mediaplayer for my N900 and TomAmp looked good. I'm quite a novice (sorry!) so please bear with me.

I cant get it to import my music (about 2500 songs) it just becomes unresponsive and I only have the option to close the application. I have Maemo 5 version 10.2010.19-1.203.1. I had mediabox & Instinctiv installed - they didnt freeze but no more user friendly than the pre-installed mediaplayer (it doesnt freeze either). I've uninstalled both players also. File format is mp3. Could it be as simple as I'm trying to get it to import too many songs at a time? It will import small folders.

Thanks again

Originally Posted by Sylviajeanni View Post
I cant get it to import my music (about 2500 songs) it just becomes unresponsive and I only have the option to close the application. Could it be as simple as I'm trying to get it to import too many songs at a time? It will import small folders.
Definitely. Tomamp is not a media-library-type application (though in the future it might get such a feature).

It is meant for small to medium size playlists (I successfully use it with 3-400 songs), but since each song adds up a little to the memory usage, and the n900 doesn't have a lot of memory to begin with, it can become a problem with large playlists.

<technical>What you are experiencing is swapping - the available RAM gets all used up, and the system tries to use the lot slower storage space for program memory. This is what appers to be freezing, when in fact the system is busy swapping things between RAM and virtual memory. You might see this with other memory hungry applications, or if you run multiple demanding apps at the same time.</technical>

I'm planning to do memory optimisations in the future to reduce the memory consumption by the playlist items, but until then I'd advise you to use smaller playlists, only add the songs/folders you want to listen to at the moment. Maybe create a few smaller playlists from your collection, and save them (Save playlist), that would enable easy switching between portions of your collection.

Thanks for your comment!

I'd like to announce version 0.4, which features the suggested button set toggle for the toolbar (show one set of buttons at a time). Button size is also selectable now.

I also managed to implement a popular request, an equalizer.

See the first post for screenshots.

The package is in testing-devel, I'll try to promote it in the next few days if no serious bugs show up.

I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMarki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Hi Tmarki - just installed the latest version. My findings:

1. Eq doesn' seem to work. changing bars makes no change to sound, and changes are not saved when exiting (and reentering) eq.
2. headphone toggle seem to toggle no matter initial state, so if headphones are inserted while playing music via speakers, music is paused.
3. When entering options, it switches to portrait mode.

Wishes:
1. Would be nice if the headphone toggle could trigger on Bluetooth headset being disabled.
2. Is it possible to get Bluetooth controls (prev, next, play, pause)?
3. show/hide track bar when pressing track time (same idea as the volume button toggle)

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
1. Eq doesn' seem to work. changing bars makes no change to sound, and changes are not saved when exiting (and reentering) eq.
This is strange, and indictes that it doesn't find the eq phonon effect object for some reason.
Can you tell me what version of Fremantle do you have, maybe the Qt and libphonon versions too?
I only tested on my phone, where it did work (and save) fine.

2. headphone toggle seem to toggle no matter initial state, so if headphones are inserted while playing music via speakers, music is paused.
3. When entering options, it switches to portrait mode.
Both of these are intentional (and not ideal, I admit), I'll try to fix them in a future version.

1. Would be nice if the headphone toggle could trigger on Bluetooth headset being disabled.
2. Is it possible to get Bluetooth controls (prev, next, play, pause)?
3. show/hide track bar when pressing track time (same idea as the volume button toggle)
Thanks!

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia
The eq is working for me. Everything on newest version and things from devel. Living on the bleeding edge.

Don't know if it's possible, but could you make the scrollers snappy. Like when close to some values it automatically puts it there. For example the 0 gain, when you want to reset one of them.
Also it would be nice if you could put the frequencies above/bellow corresponding scroller, and a button to reset the whole eq.

One other thing not related to eq.
It would be good if, like the built-in player, the hardware volume keys would work while the player is working and the phone is locked.
I use it when changing transportation. Going with bicycle and when walking I like to listen it on a little higher volume, because don't need to hear my surroundings that much.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post: