Posts: 73 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris
Some days ago (right after I enabled community SSU and tweaked the transitions), contacts disappeared from the desktop, and I can't seem to get any of them back...
At first I though something was wrong with those contacts, but I tried adding any other one, it doesn't work, no error, just nothing happens.

I tried both ways, from the desktop, and from the contact record itself, nope, nothing.. o_O

(I do can "add shortcut" and "add widget".)

Has anyone experienced the same behavior ?
Where would the directory corrsponding to the "desktop" be ?

Last edited by xaccrocheur; 2011-08-15 at 22:04. Reason: typos

Really ? I'm the only one here who cannot "add contact" to desktop ? Come on, hildon Gurus, please point me in the right direction ! I already launched syslog to check if some error was fired, like a writing rights problem, but the system is not complaining. Where else can I look for errors ? Come on, my wife is used to see her picture on my phone, now my couple is in dire straits !

Banned | Posts: 32 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Aug 2011
Dont know.. But I dont think it has something to do with CSSU.
Try restarting ur phone.
Or removing the desktop where you put the contacts.
For example, I got my contacts on desktop 3.. I'll go to manage views and cancel 3rd desktop.. then bring it back and try again.
Maybe its the transitions..

Just checking so please don't flame this suggestion: have you got editing the desktop enabled in the CSSU settings? If it's not you won't be able to add anything (or remove for that matter).

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I've had this problem, and I think I might still. I don't remember when this started (I have 9 desktops for the same of having free space - they're all blank, I'm a minimalist like that and having desktops, even if they're blank makes me feel FAR less 'trapped' in the device vs Windows 7, Blackberry, and iOS devices. Android is the only one I don't feel as trapped in, but still there. Never touched WebOS so I can't say...).

Point is, one day I was messing around with widgets so I went to add a contact to my desktop. Contact didn't appear on desktop, but did disappear from the add-contact-to-desktop menu. So yeah. Definitely a bug, and there definitely was desktop editing enabled. I know I had CSSU at this time, but I can't say for sure it's linked to it, or linked to it alone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
(...) So yeah. Definitely a bug, and there definitely was desktop editing enabled. I know I had CSSU at this time, but I can't say for sure it's linked to it, or linked to it alone.
Ah, thank you, I though I was going crazy. Now where do I go from there ? I'm not going top re-flash just for that, partly because the very idea of flashing frightens me yellow, and partly because I'm not sure of the cause of the problem...?

Is CSSU de-installable ? (is CSSU - so far - *only* about transitions ?? Because if yes, I can't see why I would keep it - for now)

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by xaccrocheur View Post
Ah, thank you, I though I was going crazy. Now where do I go from there ? I'm not going top re-flash just for that, partly because the very idea of flashing frightens me yellow, and partly because I'm not sure of the cause of the problem...?
I don't know where to go from there, because I never fixed it on my device. Reflashing, though, is not bad. I know how you feel, and I felt the same way when I first had to reflash my N900, but I assure you it's very painless. What's bad is restoring everything the way you had it, if you don't have backupmenu installed (and if you just unpack the backupmenu backups, you could easily bring in whatever file/code/setting was breaking the contacts-on-desktop shortcuts to begin with).

Originally Posted by xaccrocheur
Is CSSU de-installable ? (is CSSU - so far - *only* about transitions ?? Because if yes, I can't see why I would keep it - for now)
It's uninstallable but I don't think it would be easy and a reflash would be the only way I would do it - i.e. I know it's doable without reflashing but I wouldn't really undertake that effort myself.

And no, it's almost nothing to do with transitions (though if you count portrait-mode support as part of transitions then I suppose it's got a decent amount of transitions stuff); CSSU provides open source replacements for a few of the built-in packages, it provides for a bunch of advanced options in hildon-desktop (i.e., what Ctrl+Backspace does, whether or not Ctrl+Shift+Key or Ctrl+FN+Key send out dbus signals which you can then tie with dbus-scripts for other stuff, etc). There's a decent amount of minor bug fixes ported from upstream, including some major ones, like Qt apps not segfaulting when launched in portrait mode, and some minor ones like dark gray showing up correctly as a color in X-Terminal.

But if you didn't notice these things by now, you probably aren't affected by them much anyway. *Shrug*

so, did anybody else have/solve this bug? would love to be able to add contacts to the desktop again.