Active Topics

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Install FM Radio latest version from devel. Click on icon... nothing happens. Probably many more packages have such behaviour (maybe PR 1.2 app?) but on WIN I would instantly start an AV soft and download another to perform a check, just to be sure (which will never be oh well). -devel allowing apps to run as superuser is just another vector of attack. N900 is super easy for malicious devs to attack, only thing that is helping is lack in numbers (but this as security through obscurity is dumb defense at best)
I think that there should be warning if app tries to use root, something like

"Warning! This app tries to use superuser privileges. You can allow it, but you shouldn't do it unless what you are doing."
This should be possible to save (you give permission ) or just a single time permission.

Extras builder if detects sudser, rootsh or something should warn the developer that such warning will appear and that he should remove it. When too many apps do something like that the user might just ignore the warning as it's with danger of -devel.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Smells like Cyanogen mod and android
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Smells like Cyanogen mod and android
I don't know whether it's good or not, that it smells so, but I start to change my mind about Android having known Cyanogen

What do you think about that idea?

Seems quite unnecessary - allowing to downloads from -devel, you also "agree", that You're using stuff that may cause problems. Yet, almost everyone use it, due to broken Q&A system and/or unmaintained, yet useful, packages in repos.

Such question about root permission wouldn't change much - everyone would just accept it (or program in question won't work), if they installed it anyway.

Off topic, but I also know cyanogen mod, and it didn't changed my mind about Android - if so, only into worse side. It's a huge *mess*, that took me 2 days to setup properly on my mother's xperia x10 mini pro, due to messy documentation (stating plain wrong informations), builds mess (main cyanogenmod site downloads for this model gives You downloads for other model using the same visual design!), and all after all, it turned out that half things doesn't work (despite version being marked as "stable"), so I ended up with MiniCyanogenMod after all, at day 3, (which turned out to be *real* stable version of CyanogenMod for Xperia mini series). And "rooting" it, what a mess it was...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Seems quite unnecessary - allowing to downloads from -devel, you also "agree", that You're using stuff that may cause problems. Yet, almost everyone use it, due to broken Q&A system and/or unmaintained, yet useful, packages in repos.

Such question about root permission wouldn't change much - everyone would just accept it (or program in question won't work), if they installed it anyway.

/Estel
Too bad, indeed.
It'd have to be really in packages that require it. And many devs would just ignore the warning. At least there can be an install time.
information for the user that this package uses root.

Off topic: should I upload MeeGo's Nokia Binaries to extras-devel (with changed names if present in )? Applauncher depends on some and I'm unable to build applauncher as free package - if I shouldn't, then only non-free approach can be done

For sure You can, if license permits it, and using name convention that won't collide with anything.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
For sure You can, if license permits it, and using name convention that won't collide with anything.
I read the license, and I'd need to ask Nokia for permission.
Can the Council talk with Nokia to permit us to upload the Nokia Binaries to extras-devel as non-free

There is a rule of thumb, that components belonging to Nokia can be re-used/re-distributed if used non-profit for benefit of Nokia devices owners. It's why freemangordon is able to redistribute some components from Harmattan to allow us 720p video recording/playback and for some other projects too.

So, you should be ok.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
There is a rule of thumb, that components belonging to Nokia can be re-used/re-distributed if used non-profit for benefit of Nokia devices owners. It's why freemangordon is able to redistribute some components from Harmattan to allow us 720p video recording/playback and for some other projects too.

So, you should be ok.
Did he ask for some permission? As at first he did a script extracting some files from N9 FS.

See this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...65&postcount=4

If You're afraid of license monster, just put this disclaimer into license file/comment/whatever.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-