Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post

Let's hope Jolla going down this road.
OMFG , dear lord this is ..huh woah!

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
OMFG , dear lord this is ..huh woah!
The interface looks like MS tiles, they'll be sued out of their pants!

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
The question of community site for Mer derivatives was raised, and there was no consensus whether such thing is needed. What do you think?
I think that it's a quite good idea to try to establish now a single point where to concentrate all discussions, etc.
Of course if at the moment there is not enough 'talk' about Nemo or Jolla (and I mean serious developer-level talk, not "I wish Jolla-phone has capability X") there might not feel a need for such forum, but I'm afraid that if this kind of things gets delayed, Jolla will build its own site, and Mer/Nemo its own, and Cordia its own, and the chance to unify the talking arena will be gone.

Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
Well, no one outside jolla/mer knows the bigger picture of that whole mer / jolla / nemomobile / other derivates thing. Kinda hard to make decissions with non existing facts.

A community driven effort would be best, but only if the community has a break even size where most stuff got handled by the community itself.

If it's only a small community, a commercial driven platform (with community support of course) would be best.
Well, Mer folks basically said they won't make it themselves, but I hope they can probably help out with information if the community will start such a thing. Also, don't mix up Mer and Jolla. While some Mer devs work in Jolla, Mer is really related to all Mer derived systems, not only to Jolla alone.

Originally Posted by minimos View Post
I'm afraid that if this kind of things gets delayed, Jolla will build its own site, and Mer/Nemo its own, and Cordia its own, and the chance to unify the talking arena will be gone.
Yes, that's exactly what concerns me. Them making their sites is OK (i.e. for distinct products), but spreading the discussions and info resources all around is not so good. So what do you think will work. Should we cooperate with Opentablets folks? I think this kind of effort should involve all interested people. (I started a thread there: http://opentablets.org/topic/70-call-for-collaboration/ ).

Mer however already has a site, but it's probably not reasonable to host all Mer derivatives related stuff there (like developers and user forums). At least that's what I understood from Stskeeps. Mer site will concentrate on the core only, which mostly pertains to Mer vendors (such as Plasma Active, Jolla, Nemo architects and designers and so on).

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-08-30 at 23:28.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Silence. No ideas it seems?
You want a site that essentially bans me? Pardon my silence.

I want a constructive site for developers and users who might come for help. Something akin to a community site like Mozillazine:
http://forums.mozillazine.org
http://mozillazine.org

It's moderated. And it's really helpful to users and developers alike. Off-topics and non constructive stuff are given a separate section there, so it doesn't distract from the content.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-08-30 at 23:33.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

The question of community site for Mer derivatives was raised, and there was no consensus whether such thing is needed. What do you think? Should be there a community site (something similar to TMO but without trolling and with moderation in development forums ) for developers and users who are related to Mer derived systems like Jolla, Nemo, Plasma Active, Cordia and etc.? Is there a point in one site (http://opentablets.org may be?). TMO will become history at some point, so a new place is needed. But we don't want to end up in situation which existed with jumping between Meego.com forums, TMO forums, Nokia developer forums and etc.

Basically Stskeeps said this should be a community initiative. I.e. if community won't make such effort - the mess will ensue and no one will care to make such unified resource.
There is a community initiative with a scope to include Maemo and all of its derivatives called Hildon Foundation. We have a promise from Nokia that maemo.org will be transferred and a contact point in Nokia for hosting, the trademark, the contract with Nemein, and the transition of maemo.org from Nokia. There was a suggestion from Reggie that we can keep the forum if Nokia handed over maemo.org and we're trying to get further details from Reggie on how we do that. There are still a lot of loose ends, but there is an effort.

For a start, if you want to be inclusive using the TMO site itself, may be someone can create a Mer related section (with subsections like Plasma Active, Nemo, Jolla and etc.) here on the forums at last? Jumping around Competitors section and some various threads about Mer and Nemo in Meego/Harmattan buried behind Harmattan stuff is really annoying. I personally don't use Maemo per se, and interested rather in Mer derivatives. But there is no dedicated subforum for it here.

I.e. I propose to add such dedicated subforums (if forums support such level of hierarchy):

Talk > OS / Platform > Mer > Plasma Active
Talk > OS / Platform > Mer > Nemo
Talk > OS / Platform > Mer > Jolla

Thanks.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-08-31 at 02:59.

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I already made a similar proposal for such changes along with classification of applications in this thread.

However, I didn't receive many feedback and nothing has yet been implemented.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
New article about Jolla in finnish http://www.tekniikkatalous.fi/ict/jo...lkalla/a833455

Somewhat slightly interesting new stuff:

-Jolla organisation has no fixed structure. They arrange new team structures every month on the basis of what needs to be done. Everyone working for Jolla has the same basic salary + plus bonuses according to how well the teams have operated. Says that this system has worked very well so far.

-Mentions Valve as an example of corporation that Jolla has taken inspiration from for management style.

-They have started hiring marketing people. Could mean something about release getting close, on the other hand maybe it doesn't.

-Price point for Jolla phone is going to be such that everyone who wants one will be able to get one. Possibly marketing BS, but my guess has been that it will be mid-price device all along anyway.

-Funding situation good. Have funding for manufacturing the first product. IIRC before they were saying only about having money for finishing the development and design of the first product.

Last edited by Rauha; 2012-08-31 at 12:06.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla