Posts: 73 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris
Hi everyone.

This evening I was going out for a walk, took my trusted N900 out of my pocket, but it would not let me type my unlock code, just one key, and erratically. Wow. This is new.

I reflashed it (Fiasco rootfs only, should I go further ?) ; This was the first time ever. I managed to connect it to my wireless because the screen registers a tap or two now and then (and could enter the WPA key because the keyboard works flawlessly) but then again ssh-server is no longer installed so I can not ssh into it anymore. Apparently I can't receive phone calls either. Yikes.

I have this phone ever since it was out in the medina around here parts, and have been living a true love story. If it's really dead I'm going to buy as many machines as I can find, because this is my idea of a phone.

Is this "dead screen" issue known ? I saw a lot of related messages on this board but the info is really scattered.

What can I do to exactly diagnose what is going on ? Please help. The sky is blackening.

Last edited by xaccrocheur; 2013-04-17 at 20:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to xaccrocheur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 270 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina

The Following User Says Thank You to dzano For This Useful Post:
So my screen is really dead ? After a while I can get though apps, but it tends to freeze, so maybe it's not (only) the screen after all ? What kind of (simple, unit) tests can I run to be sure ?

Originally Posted by dzano View Post
or you can buy new digitizer.
Can I, really ? Where ? The first hit for Amazon's customer review says :

Originally Posted by Amazon
Grooves for frame projections milled in wrong places. Piece of plexiglas treated badly. Even worse, the device does not work. Chinese junk, in the worst sense of the term.
Is there a safe place where I can buy from and get the real thing ?

Last edited by xaccrocheur; 2013-04-17 at 21:34.

I have access to genuine N900 digitizers, but all are used, so condition varies. Do you expect one to be in absolutely state (if yes, you can only hope to buy fakes)? How big is your budget for this task? (inc. shipping - you're living in France, right?) Having that informations, I may check if I could arrange something appropriate for your needs.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much for your answer, Estel. What I want is :

- To know as closely as exactly what the PB is with my phone's digitizer
- To buy a digitizer that will get my phone back to normal

Is there really a market of fake N900 digitizers ? Wow. Are some any good ? I do live in France. Did you get that from my spaces in front of ? Well no, but it's where it's simpler to ship anyway. So what's your price ?

Last edited by xaccrocheur; 2013-04-17 at 22:14.

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
This brings to mind the battery testing thread and the list of "good" batteries and suppliers. Perhaps we need such a general hardware thread where users report purchases and suppliers with rating?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xaccrocheur View Post
Thank you very much for your answer, Estel. What I want is :

- To know as closely as exactly what the PB is with my phone's digitizer
Well, it just died. Probably, something pressed too much on it (could get destroyed even without visible damage), or, in very, very rare cases, it could die on it's own.

Is there really a market of fake N900 digitizers ? Wow. Are some any good ?
Yes, and a quite big market, to say at least. As for fake digitizers, quality varies much - people report some of them to be "worse input than PDA's from A.D. 2000), while others seem to be acceptable. None of them is as good (pressure sensitivity resolution and touch area resolution) as original ones. If I would have to decide "perfectly looking good quality fake", or "original with some scratches", I would take the latter, personally. Fortunately, i have personal stock of spare ideal condition original ones, so it's a win-win situation (thankfully, had to use spare one only once)

I do live in France. Did you get that from my spaces in front of ?
i'm temped to say "yes", but in fact, I took it from "Location: Paris" on top of your posts...

. So what's your price ?
I'm taking those digitizers from local phone repair & used phones shop - they're scavenging various parts from mortally malfunction devices, too, including N900's. From time to time, you get a digitizer in ideal condition (protected by foil) from a non-working N900 for very good price, but it is very rare, so I keep those for myself

The thing is, that I can't give you price, as they vary very much depending on condition and, as it seems, random ideas of shop staff (divided, somehow, by for how long they can't sell said part ).

So, if you would give me your absolute maximum, I would subtract cost of shipping such small package to France (need to check it first), and see, what they have in that price range, at the moment - then, inform you about possible options.

Don't worry, if it turns out to be cheaper than your maximum, i'll still tell you real price Consider it as my Community help, I'm not making any money on those digitizers.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Is this "dead screen" issue known ? I saw a lot of related messages on this board but the info is really scattered.
I had problems with the touchscreen with my N900 as well. One day I could no longer put my pin in the lockscreen. In my case it was most probably moisure in the contacts of the digitizer, since the solution turned out to be: disassemble the digitizer, clean the contacts, and assemble back. The really hard part for me was taking the tiny screws out :-( So if you are attempting that, first go find some good A00 tools and search for the N900 service manual in this forum.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@xaccrocheur - if you have screen protector, remove/replace it to see if it helps

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Estel, what do you think of this ?

Can you match this price ?

Tags
digitizer, nokia n900, screen dead