Active Topics

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
Today at DigiExpo (Helsinki) I got the chance to "feel" the N810.

+ feels great in hand, nicely designed.
+ keyboard feels bigger than it seems in pictures
+ GREAT screen
+ youtube's videos , in a watchable-way.

* I would like to have the fullscreen button on keyboard though.

In Finland you can pre-order from verkkokauppa.com ( 469€ ), I asked one guy from Nokia about the possible price for this and he said it's gonna be likely 550€ from Nokia's store 2x the N800's price right now.
Had a chance to feel this baby too today, at the What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision Show, London, UK.

I had concerns over the full-screen button too, although confident I'll adjust.

Didn't manage to win one at the show, so did the next best thing. I pre-ordered one from Micro Anvika who Nokia had partnered with at the show, offering a 5% discount off their £299.99 list price, down to £284.99, free delivery & 2 GB card thrown in. Not too bad.

Nokia quoted a release date of 28th (or 26th?), although the Micro Anvika sales person advised I should expect delivery in approx 1 week.
When I queried this with Nokia their response was along the lines of, "typical sales people."

As a bonus I got to chat with the star of the N810 promo video too!
He even took a pic of my N800... but only because he was impressed with the Proporta Alu-Leather case. So I took a photo of him taking the photo, of course!

Like I've said in multiple threads, the software is near final release, but there remain some kinks to work out. If it's available at the end of November, that would be quite soon. I think everyone here can say they'd rather have a solid product, and undoubtedly we don't want to release anything less than our best. This testing process is quite thorough.

Originally Posted by prosthetic View Post
Like I've said in multiple threads, the software is near final release, but there remain some kinks to work out. If it's available at the end of November, that would be quite soon. I think everyone here can say they'd rather have a solid product, and undoubtedly we don't want to release anything less than our best. This testing process is quite thorough.
Got a look at the 810 at the What HiFi/Stuff Magazine show in London yesterday. The staff at the Nokia stand were quoting "end November" as a delivery date. Which is about what I was expecting. They were offering 5% off retail, free delivery and a free 2Gb card for orders placed at the show with Micro Anvika.

I have to say I was impressed with the 810. I had my 770 with me for comparison and the 810 was a bit smaller (about the size of the 770 without the silver cover) and a heck of a lot lighter. The keyboard also wasn't as jammed up against the rest of the device as I thought it would be, quite usable.

WillS

People are now able to buy these in the USA. So when does the rest of the world get to play?

C'mon Nokia! I have money that I want to give you. The very least you can do is give us an idea when I can do that.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
People are now able to buy these in the USA. So when does the rest of the world get to play?

C'mon Nokia! I have money that I want to give you. The very least you can do is give us an idea when I can do that.
++

seiichiro0185 who just sold his Sharp Zaurus to get an N810

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Paderborn / Germany
Any news in Europe?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Quim Gil says:

We are silently working to get all the exact dates you are waiting for.
We will communicate them as soon as they are confirmed.
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail//ma...er/012897.html

This doesn't shed much light on the subject in the meantime, except to say that the Maemo team recognise it as a real problem.

Most of Nokia's products come out first in Europe, partly because they're a European company and partly because Europe is their biggest market.

However, from what I understand the tablets completely reverse the situation, they seem to be much more popular in America than in Europe, so it makes sense that the US gets them first (especially with Christmas just round the corner).

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
This doesn't shed much light on the subject in the meantime, except to say that the Maemo team recognise it as a real problem.
If the release version of the N810 is already on sale in America, then it sounds like European availability is out of the Maemo team's hands. AFAIK they just do the design work, they're not responsible for actually manufacturing and distributing it.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
If the release version of the N810 is already on sale in America, then it sounds like European availability is out of the Maemo team's hands. AFAIK they just do the design work, they're not responsible for actually manufacturing and distributing it.
Indeed, but I also seem to remember this situation at the launch of the N800: end-users were getting devices before the discount codes would work.

Although the Maemo team will have no responsibility now, they're the best point of contact we've got to try and sort it out - or at least communicate clearly what the situation is.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
And from what Texrat said in another thread, the tablet that are going to be shipped from on-line orders are flashed right before shipping. So this might well mean that we can get a newer firmware (by "we" I mean whoever gets it on-line from the Nokia online store).