Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Nipple usage instructions are included in mammalian firmware out-of-the-box.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Nipple usage instructions are included in mammalian firmware out-of-the-box.
That's just it though, there's an entire career based on helping newborn mammals learn that usage, so "intuitive" is a tough sell even there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I don't think multitasking would be to hard for the people who use the iPhone. Rather it's the OS itself and application market that's not designed around multitasking that causes the problems.

Once Apple releases their revolutionary multitasking feature on the iphone you'll see people multitasking.
It's also the decision to use serial tasking that allows the applications to be fluid as there is little running in the background to hog memory. It's a blessing and a curse, but as Apple want to run their user's experience, and doesn't trust their users to be able to close apps when there's slowdown.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
The more time it elapses, and the more all the competitors start to actively enable and promote multitasking in their devices, the harder it will become for Apple to hold on to this singletasking story. It will be interesting to see what kind of UI solution and story they will bring here. Looking at the Dock on OSX might be a good first guess.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Oh man I fear the day when apple will "invent" multitasking. The fanboys and girls will explode with applelove when they see the new, completely innovative feature, never before seen on any device, big or small!

Kinda like Doom, that was recently released for the iphone. I must admit I also cheered when I first got doom on my ngage... in 2003.

Either way, I heard that my friends mum tested the N900 without any assistance whatsoever, never before seen or even heard of the device. Took a while to unlock the screen, but after that it was 2 minute learning and then smooth rolling. So pretty seems intuitive imo.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

LOL I loaded Ubuntu on my Wifes Thinkpad, and put Firefox and Thunderbird exactly where she used to find it.
Browser check
Email check

Changed the wallpaper to be just the same as windows XP and she did'nt even notice she was running Linux.

They are the only two apps she uses.

I went into Apple store to try out iPhone, kept rotating the browser to horizontal expecting it to rotate, and it stayed in Portrait, struggled with the on screen keyboard. I left and went back to my very intuitive E71 Symbian device. It has a key for Mail, a key for calendar and a key for Contacts 90% of my use case for a phone covered.

Mike C

I think the rotation for the iPhone depends on force. Cause my cousin (who owns the iPhone 3G) and I both tried it and at first we struggled with making it rotate. He would have to keep shaking it to get it to rotate. But if you do it quickly then it'll usually register it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think the rotation for the iPhone depends on force. Cause my cousin (who owns the iPhone 3G) and I both tried it and at first we struggled with making it rotate. He would have to keep shaking it to get it to rotate. But if you do it quickly then it'll usually register it.
I tried it on more than one device in the shop, and nope they did not rotate. Thats not to say it was supposed to. In fact I'm not even clear that many of the apps will work in landscape, but it wont stop me from rotating the device in the hope it will.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
exactly what i hate about the iphone

why the hell do I need to change the way I operate!?

I bought this phone, it does what I TELL IT TO DO!!

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Personally, I go out of my way to avoid using the word "intuitive" to describe anything. I've found it to be entirely too subjective.

In the end, there are two items I've most often seen upheld as paragons of intuitiveness: the hammer and the nipple. UI/UX designers have a tendency to wax poetic on the perfect design of these items. However, it's common for people to grip hammers too high on the handle, reducing the effectiveness of the tool, until they are taught proper usage. And calling a nipple "intuitive" ignores the existence of lactation consultant as a career path as well as the USLCA, the ILCA, college courses, and certifying boards for those in the profession.
Intuitive to me is if you give it to most people without telling them how to use it properly use it. If they use it correctly then that's intuitive. If not, then it's not and you should hire a usability expert to help you make it more intuitive.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
bad review, very bad