hi,

does anybody know a system that transmit usbhost information to bluetooth ? it can be usefull for n900

Wait, what?
So, you want something that tricks the other device (flash drive?) into thinking that it's plugged into a computer, then beams data to the n900? Sounds kinda complicated, the adapter would actually have to be a small computer. If they do exist, they won't come in cheap

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by testarc View Post
does anybody know a system that transmit usbhost information to bluetooth ?
This has been a topic of discussion in the "N900 will not allow USB OTG!" thread. Thus far, the devices that come closest to fitting the bill are older Maemo devices, such as the N800 and N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ By the swamp
Hm. So you're suggesting that a USB host software module is written for the N900, then the data streams from that module are piped over the bluetooth to an external device that acts as the physical USB host for the peripherals causing them to be visible as standard USB devices to the system?

Never seen one of those or even heard of one, but the whole concept sounds simply pervy. Maybe doable, but the limited data rate of the BT link as well as possibly link latency (not sure how BT does on this front, as it's meant to be low power I'd guess it may suffer from slightly variable latency packet-per-packet) may well pop up as major issues. Maybe worth looking into, though I doubt the standard definitions of Bluetooth SIG may not include ready-defined profiles for such a thing. Making this work might be an excellent addition to someone's CV though

The Following User Says Thank You to Kurare For This Useful Post:
they make bluetooth usb hubs, with would be nice as then we could pair the ps3 controller and use it for games and other things. the first step is finding a bluetooth usb hub that is made for linux

yes ...
External HDD -> USBHOST adapter / Bluetooth <-----> N900 Bluetooth

Originally Posted by epson800 View Post
they make bluetooth usb hubs, with would be nice as then we could pair the ps3 controller and use it for games and other things. the first step is finding a bluetooth usb hub that is made for linux
Those are actually just bluetooth dongles strapped to a normal usb hub. A pc still has to act as a proxy between the usb device and the bluetooth adapter, which kind of defeats the purpose.

I just remembered that usb cables are restricted to 5 meters in length to guarantee the information goes through fast . I'm pretty sure bluetooth simply can't deliver this kind of speed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Other than for power reasons, why Bluetooth? If you are hooking up external devices you are going to need a power source anyways. This magical device should be using wireless G (or N if that was available on the N900) to transmit data. You'd get at least decent speed through wireless G.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
What I think you want (end result) is something like the Seagate D.A.V.E.

Use the google... lots of articles about it (though I'm not sure what happened to its release).

yes the dave sound good , but i may use SD card reader or usb thumbs because i want transfer photos from my DSLR camera to the N900 drive.

so that why i 'propose' this use of usbhost to bluetooth or wifi dongle ?
i see that thyphoon have an CFcard to USB Host adapter bu none for micro sd

Last edited by testarc; 2009-12-07 at 18:13.

Tags
accessory, adapter, bluetooth, bluetooth-to-usb host, n900, transfer, usb, usb host