Notices

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Germany
For all, who want to get rid of the default serach engine (Google) forced by Opera Mobile, here's a hack to achieve this:
  1. edit file /opt/operamobile/browser/bream/skin-vga.rsc (probably not on your phone!)
    • seach for "Google" an replace this string with your favorite search engine. But the new description must have the same length (i.e. 6 chars), if shorter fill with space (0x20)
    • change the following URL
      Code:
      http://www.google.com/m?q=%s&client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new
      according to your favorite search engine, e.g.
      Code:
      https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s
      %s is of course the search string. Again, keep the original length by filling with spaces. Btw. the "duck" has a really big advantage, you can define (start page -> more -> settings) the color scheme to dark, which gets saved in a cookie.
    • deactivate Google livesearch by replacing
      Code:
      http://clients1.google.com/complete/search?client=opera-mobile&hl=#{locale}&q=#{query}
      with
      Code:
      http://127.0.0.1/disabled_google_live_search______________________#{locale}&q=#{query}
  2. delete ~/.config/operamobile-labs/ds/8_all. The file get's regenerated out of skin-vgs.rsc upon starting opera. But be aware: You will loose all added custom search engines! This work has to be done once again afterwards.
  3. add the following lines to your /etc/hosts:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1  server1.operamini.com server2.operamini.com server3.operamini.com
    127.0.0.1  server4.operamini.com server5.operamini.com server6.operamini.com
    127.0.0.1  server7.operamini.com server8.operamini.com server9.operamini.com
    That's necessary, because Opera checks on every start for new default search engines and will undo your efforts within seconds. Again a drawback: You won't be able to use Opera Link anymore!

I didn't bother to cahnge the Icon -- you'll still have the (old) one of Google.

Hope you enjoy this little "trick"

Read original German version in my blogpost.

EDIT: The path given above refers to the Harmattan version of Opera Mobile 12; for Fremantle edit /opt/opera/share/browser/skin-vga-multi.rsc and delete ~/.opera/ds/8_all

Last edited by mpy; 2013-06-20 at 08:10. Reason: additional path info; improved hosts edit

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mpy For This Useful Post:
Great, out with google. I got through step 1, but at step 2. I cannot find the ~/.config folder. Using SFTP and 'show hidden files' is enabled.
This is under Maemo7.2 and Opera 12.10.16 No luck browsing the folders at random ..

Edit: added Opera version

Last edited by spaak74; 2013-06-18 at 23:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spaak74 For This Useful Post:
According to this package (btw. is Maemo 7.2 = Fremantle?), the config files of opera reside in
Code:
/home/user/.opera
, so the file to delete should probably be
Code:
~/.opera/ds/8_all
If you can confirm, I will update my post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpy For This Useful Post:
It's Maemo on a n900 so i believe Fremantle is installed.
Found '8_all' and deleted. Added the code in step 3. like this:

Code:
127.0.0.1 Nokia-N900 localhost
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
127.0.0.1 server1.operamini.com server2.operamini.com server3.operamini.com server4.operamini.com server5.operamini.com server6.operamini.com server7.operamini.com server8.operamini.com server9.operamini.com
When i open Opera it displays a complete black screen, with only 'Opera Mobile' in the menu area. Or maybe is it possible to post the modified files?

Just to make sure, that line starting with 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts should be exactly one line. If it's too long, split it up like that:

Code:
127.0.0.1 server1.operamini.com server2.operamini.com server3.operamini.com 
127.0.0.1 server4.operamini.com server5.operamini.com server6.operamini.com 
127.0.0.1 server7.operamini.com server8.operamini.com server9.operamini.com
Originally Posted by spaak74 View Post
Found '8_all'
Can you please confirm, that you found it at the path I guessed (~/.opera/ds/8_all)?!

Originally Posted by spaak74 View Post
When i open Opera it displays a complete black screen, with only 'Opera Mobile' in the menu area. Or maybe is it possible to post the modified files?
Black screen is indeed a messed up skin-vga.rsc if I remember correctly. I think uploading of that file ist against EULA and hence probably against TMO rules, too. But send me a PM with your email address...

Originally Posted by mpy View Post
Just to make sure, that line starting with 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts should be exactly one line. If it's too long, split it up like that:
Code:
127.0.0.1 server1.operamini.com server2.operamini.com server3.operamini.com 
127.0.0.1 server4.operamini.com server5.operamini.com server6.operamini.com 
127.0.0.1 server7.operamini.com server8.operamini.com server9.operamini.com
Got it now.

Originally Posted by mpy View Post
Can you please confirm, that you found it at the path I guessed (~/.opera/ds/8_all)?!
Sorry, yeah that's the path. The black screen remains unfortunate.

The Following User Says Thank You to spaak74 For This Useful Post:
mpy can you help me please? I change skin-vga.rsc file and it's ok. I add strings to hosts and it's ok. I delete 8_all file. But Opera is anyway update default settings each time after few seconds after run. Even if I make 8_all read-only Opera still update default searche engine each session so it's seems it's have acces to servers. I talk about Harmattan.

I found workaround. After I made all of your fixes I run Opera and wait till it update 8_all file. Next I remove all unneeded searches from search settings (whithin Opera). Exit Opera and make changes in 8_all file similat to skin-vga.rsc file. Right now Opera don't update 8_all file and I have DuckDuck go search default.

The last things is how to change Google favicon? It's obviously stored in skin-vga.rsc and 8_all files but I don't know hex code for it.

Last edited by flyingsausage; 2013-12-12 at 07:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to flyingsausage For This Useful Post:
I know the described behavior (update the default search engine each program start after few seconds), as long as you don't have changed your /etc/hosts file (see step 3 of my original post).

However, your workaround sounds interesting. The question is, if your 8_all file gets updated when opera changes the defaults on their servers... (I suppose, there is some kind of a ID / time stamp involved?!)

Concerning the favicon: I didn't bothered about that myself, so I can't give you a solution. But you might find some more information about the skin-vga.rsc file format and embedded bitmaps on this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to mpy For This Useful Post:
mpy maybe I'm dumb but I do host editing. I recheck it twice and reboot my phone with no any effect. Si I though a lil bit more and edit 8_all file. Anyway it works now. Thank you for link I look at this later.

@flyingsausage: Glad you could figure out a solution. Maybe the different behavior is due to different versions?! IMHO I don't use the latest Harmattan build of Opera 12, but Opera 12.00, Build 8.

Tags
opera, search engine