Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
A side note and a funny story: When I asked to see my friends iPhone 4S to play around with it I asked him, "I know iOS has multitasking now... how do you get to the screen to see all the running applications?" He replied, "Well, it's not like your phone - your phone is like a mini computer - there is no screen where it shows all the open applications."

It was quite discouraging, however there is a VERY GOOD possibility that iOS 6 will have that. There is NO POSSIBILITY that MeeGo will ever receive an update of that magnitude.
NOTE: Apple's philosophy is "simplicity for the user". Who cares if an app is running in the background as an actual process or is frozen?
(Also see: Apple removing the lights from OS X dock)
There is NO WAY that iOS 6 is going to get this kind of multitasking.
Double tap the Home button, opens a nice little drawer where previously-open apps lie (swipe r->l to see more previously open apps)
If you wanted to see what apps are actually running, you need to jailbreak and install SBSettings.

MeeGo {Mer/Nemo/Tizen/Harmattan (sometime in the future)}: zypper refresh && zypper install gnome

Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
I can do banking just fine with the browser, and I don't find it clunky at all so I don't know what you mean there, maybe you bank is clunky.
Can you do things like deposit checks directly from your N900? I don't currently have a smartphone, just an N800, and I think that Diablo is close enough to perfect for a mobile UI (at least compared to all the other mobile UIs I've used)...but I find myself using my wife's android phone more and more because some of the apps are darn useful. Case in point, I'm traveling a lot more for work lately and have a lot of expenses that need to be reimbursed. Just discovered a great service that makes creating the expense reports much easier, including apps on the phone that let you take a picture of the receipt and it imports all of the data for you. They have apps for iOS, Android, Blackberry, and even WebOS, but certainly not Maemo or Meego. And all of those expenses are then reimbursed by check...which used to mean weeks before I could make it to the bank to deposit them, and now I just do it from the phone in 30 seconds.

So like I mentioned: apps. If your life/line of business/work depends on one app that you cannot live without, go for the phone/os that provides it. I don't think whining on apple forums that some androird dev only released ipk and is unwilling to throw out iOS version has any sense. Pester the devs instead, might get better results. Considering that with N900 you get access to maemo, webos, android apps it really seems a moot point. Don't 'business meaning' guys have a work phone btw? In finance I doubt it will be apple (then again after Carrier IQ fiasco seems blackberry is left with any reputation for security, banks' standard so far is BB) toy, might be a neckbeard, but again, android forums will provide better insight what is possible and what not on their devices, same for iOS. You will get people in love with maemo here, so what does one expect (call it tunnel vision, we don't care)

Last edited by szopin; 2012-03-08 at 21:31. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Really guys, no one here is going to try to talk me out of buying an iPhone???
Don't get the current IPhone though. Get the next gen of it. Maybe get a N9 to play with now, then the next gen IPhone. You might see the limitations of the IPhone then. I came from the N900 as well. Love the N9, even with some of its issues...not that the N900 didn't have its own, but loved that one as well. As for keyboards, I picked up an Ion bluetooth, with btinput and btterminal, I am very happy.

Originally Posted by Maemomd View Post
Don't get the current IPhone though. Get the next gen of it. Maybe get a N9 to play with now, then the next gen IPhone. You might see the limitations of the IPhone then. I came from the N900 as well. Love the N9, even with some of its issues...not that the N900 didn't have its own, but loved that one as well. As for keyboards, I picked up an Ion bluetooth, with btinput and btterminal, I am very happy.
I am going to wait for Android 4.0 to be officially released and I am betting iOS 6/the new iPhone will be released then along with a few quad core Android phones. I will stick with my N900 until then and cross my fingers that something awesome comes out. I would take my N900 over an N9 any day, sorry.

i am a poor user only not a developer type, i have N900 after many symbians, when i purchased it i know it very well that it has only some apps. i am civil engg. and traveling 3-4 hours site to site every day and this time is very hard, but i do this with N900. even i also find N900 a complete phone, i also tried iphone 3g and some random androids, but really no one close to my N900. now i am using it without eMMC but it works, i also searching a new alternative for me and only Droid 3 is looks good to me because HW keyboard is must for me.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
Can you do things like deposit checks directly from your N900? I don't currently have a smartphone, just an N800, and I think that Diablo is close enough to perfect for a mobile UI (at least compared to all the other mobile UIs I've used)...but I find myself using my wife's android phone more and more because some of the apps are darn useful. Case in point, I'm traveling a lot more for work lately and have a lot of expenses that need to be reimbursed. Just discovered a great service that makes creating the expense reports much easier, including apps on the phone that let you take a picture of the receipt and it imports all of the data for you. They have apps for iOS, Android, Blackberry, and even WebOS, but certainly not Maemo or Meego. And all of those expenses are then reimbursed by check...which used to mean weeks before I could make it to the bank to deposit them, and now I just do it from the phone in 30 seconds.
It's a bad example for me, I don't use checks (we rarely, or almost never do in sweden afaik).

I have the asus transformer prime tablet which is a ICS droid. It's a pretty expensive and frontline android device so you could say that I have no reason to speak against it. I find it this way: Apps are typically very tailormade for some specific use, but if you want to move out of those specific use cases they were designed for you typically end up with having to use a regular browser anyway, and the n900 one is a really good one. I actually find it in some cases even better than the droid browsers (I have three different ones, and to be honest I find them using your words, "clunky"), even if the n900 flash support is outdated by now.

I have several times ended up in the following, first I try some application on the prime, doesn't really do what I want so I try the droid browser which is also kind of limited phonestyle browser, so I end up by turning to my N900 or my laptop.
Can't help it, but my view on it is that the N900 is far away from being outdated, because it still do some things better than what newer phones do these days. Don't forget: The n900 was primarily designed to be an internet tablet rather than a typical smartphone. It simply does things better because it is more like a regular computer with a more desktop like OS in the bottom rather than a typical sandboxed "single process at a time" smartphone OS.

Last edited by Larswad; 2012-04-25 at 11:49.

Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
I have several times ended up in the following, first I try some application on the prime, doesn't really do what I want so I try the droid browser which is also kind of limited phonestyle browser, so I end up by turning to my N900 or my laptop.
Can't help it, but my view on it is that the N900 is far away from being outdated, because it still do some things better than what newer phones do these days. Don't forget: The n900 was primarily designed to be an internet tablet rather than a typical smartphone. It simply does things better because it is more like a regular computer with a more desktop like OS in the bottom rather than a typical sandboxed "single process at a time" smartphone OS.
I don't disagree with you at all. I haven't been able to bite the bullet and get a smartphone precisely because I can't stand how limited the OSes are compared to something like Maemo. I also am not a fan of creating dedicated apps for each and everything, especially when it is something that could be done just as well in the browser. Case in point all the fast food restaurant apps that let you order food via the app, so you need to have an app for every restaurant you want to order from, rather than just going to their website and doing it there.

But there are other apps that take advantage of specific phone hardware that is not accessible via the browser (at least not yet). I've mentioned a couple above that are quite useful to me (I don't like getting paper checks, but since I get 3-4 a month it is nice not to have to go to the bank for them or fill out any forms). Most of the other apps I think could be pretty useful are also ones that take advantage of the camera, translating road signs into your native language, or taking a picture of a business card and having it automatically added to your contacts, etc... I'm sure other people have favorite apps that take advantage of the gyroscope, or NFC, or GPS. These kinds of features are genuinely useful (maybe not to you, but to a fairly large section of the population).

Now my dream mobile would have a form that was a cross between the N800 and the N810 (keep the dual card slots of the N800 and the keyboard from the N810), make the screen a bit bigger, and the bezel a bit smaller (but keep the physical buttons). Update the insides with modern hardware...and most importantly keep the Maemo OS pretty much just like it was/is. Add on the ability to run Android apps and I think I'd be pretty satisfied. I obviously know this isn't going to happen, yet I still keep waiting/hoping that something will get kind of close enough for me to say OK. (In retrospect, buying an N800 might have been the worst tech purchase I made, just because it means I'll never be satisfied with anything that comes after it.)

I still have my N900, going to wait for the new iPhone to come out before I buy - but I think you guys are really missing a big point here: this is the age of the API. It's pretty obvious.

Just get the iPhone. You seem to have mentioned it in every post you made here - this indicates, that you do subconsciously want it.