Posts: 247 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Yes, for some reason Apple is holding back all AR related apps. Yelp got through because they hid the AR feature as an easter egg (you engage it by shaking the phone 3 times).

I don't know about the compass being unfaithful, maybe it should drink less.
MySky works GREAT on Android. It's been available from the start. I REALLY wish it was possible (i.e. there was a compass) for the N900. :-(

does no one know if it supports ALS (alternate line service) or not?

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Switzerland
Please forgive me if it's been discussed already in this (lengthy) thread, but can anyone tell me what the Proximity Sensor might be (and might be for)? It's listed alongside the "3D Accelerometer" in "Additional features", so presumably it's not related to Bluetooth proximity detection. Or camera auto-focus. Or is it?

The Following User Says Thank You to ralphb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ralphb View Post
Please forgive me if it's been discussed already in this (lengthy) thread, but can anyone tell me what the Proximity Sensor might be (and might be for)? It's listed alongside the "3D Accelerometer" in "Additional features", so presumably it's not related to Bluetooth proximity detection. Or camera auto-focus. Or is it?
I believe is so that if you aren't around the tablet, it dims or turns off the screen.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@ralphb: the proximity sensor on iphone is located near the earphone slot just above the screen. It detects nearby objects (1-5cm from the screen?) and afaik it's ONLY used to detect if the user is holding up the phone to their ear\face. If they are, then the screen (and touchscreen) is immediately turned off to avoid unintentional input from your face and saves power.

I believe it's used similarly here (I saw some sensor 'holes' around the N900's earphone opening, one of them could be it).

Last edited by ysss; 2009-09-02 at 18:37.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I believe it's used similarly here (I saw some sensor 'holes' around the N900's earphone opening, one of them could be it).
There are 4 components on the front face of the N900 near the earpiece: the LED, the proximity sensor, the ambient light sensor, and the VGA camera.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It's OTG, so, of course.
I posted a question in the wiki about power for extended host-mode sessions, and the answer from Jaffa included a statement that Nokia does not support host mode.

Do you have any further info on OTG operation?

EDIT: My apologies to Jaffa, who was using the term "support" more precisely than many other contributors to these forums. It often seems to mean merely that two things can cohabit without actually blowing each other up.

qole has found that answering "Of course" doesn't quite cover the subject. See his post at http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...5&postcount=88

Last edited by scaler; 2009-09-07 at 13:53. Reason: Correction by Jaffa and GA accepted

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by scaler View Post
I posted a question in the wiki about power for extended host-mode sessions, and the answer from Jaffa included a statement that Nokia does not support host mode.

Do you have any further info on OTG operation?
Please see my answer in this post.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by scaler View Post
As GeneralAntilles points out in the thread qole links to, I'm not being sloppy with language here - and thought the difference between these two statements would be clear. Perhaps I should have made the first and the inverse of the second:
  1. Nokia does not support host mode.
  2. The N900 does not permit host mode.

The word "support" in the question was not the word the questioner was looking for - it's too vague and has too many meanings in IT.

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Just had 10 minutes to play with a N900 in the Nokia Store, Helsinki.

I wish I could have had more time but there were people waiting behind me and my wife's continuous "can we go now" was starting to bring me out of my trance

Overall very, very impressed and I will not be cancelling my pre-order Switching between desktops, applications and the dashboard is smooth as silk and very intuitive. The build quality is good and the screen is responsive and very sharp. The UI graphics are also pretty sweet and with the user customisation potential I think we can safely say that Nokia have taken it to the next level - chew on that Apple1

The only problems I noticed were:

1. YouTube videos did not stream well over wifi - JKK posted a very good video which also shows the same problem

http://www.umpcportal.com/2009/09/jk...o-and-podcast/

2. There is some v-sync tearing visible now and then - scrolling through the panoramic desktops and playing back a video I shot with the device

3. Whilst zooming in and out during browsing the phone had problems keeping up with the rendering.

4. Activating links in the browser was a little tricky - but I think that most of that was me not being used to the touchscreen - I also didn't have time to play with the "mouse cursor" thingy

All of the above should be fixable in firmware updates. I do not know if there will be a firmware upgrade before the production models ship (probably) but my feeling is that the N900 will need a couple of decent firmware upgrades before it really starts to fly.

Also, the device could have been better set up as a demo model. For example there were no video clips, photos or music library pre-installed - which is pretty poor given the its capabilities in those areas.

In my opinion, Nokia firmware/application development and support and community application development are the factors that will make the difference between this being a very good or a truly great device. Let there be no doubt (I know there's not much here ) the N900 and Maemo have enormous potential.

Roll on October

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Espoo888 For This Useful Post: