Notices

Originally Posted by damagedspline View Post
in the latest version the log level property is actually 'Log%20level' under the [%20General] section. I'll update the first post with this info once i'll finish with the relocation

EDIT: also the path changed and is now ~/MyDocs/.waze/data/preferences.ini
I have a [%General] section not a [%20General] section.
Anyway, I have added 'Log%20level=1' in both sections, hopefully I'll be able to submit a more complete postmorten soon.

EDIT: Logging is definitely more verbose now.

EDIT2: Looks like 'Log%20level=1' under [%General] is the one that did the trick.

Last edited by ginggs; 2012-07-07 at 15:21.

Hi,
I have just installed Waze0.09, great software, but can you tell me which voices are available? I need Spanish Latin America or similar but it don't load anything... Only UK (simon) voice is working at the moment.

thanks a lot
Franck

Last edited by careurman; 2012-06-28 at 13:41.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 505 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Israel
Originally Posted by careurman View Post
Hi,
I have just installed Waze0.09, great software, but can you tell me which voices are available? I need Spanish Latin America or similar but it don't load anything... Only UK (simon) voice is working at the moment.

thanks a lot
Franck
i am currently working on several fixes for the network layer. It might fix some sounds and translations that fail download.

i am currently working on several fixes for the network layer. It might fix some sounds and translations that fail download.
thanks !!! i'm waiting next release...

sorry to disappoint you, but the official waze was never fully opensourced (and they violated GPL license doing so). a lot of bugs that are fixed in the android version are not reflected in the released code. for that reason i had to bust my head many months and rewrite logic that they never released. Unlike the official waze, this port is fully open sourced and fill the gap that waze left. i have never tried compiling it to android as i never needed to so atleast for me the answer is: sorry, i havnt tried

No disappointment. I was expecting as much.
Think you could give it a shot to try & setup a rough baseline for android ?

I wonder now if the developer intended the original source to be synchronous with earlier builds and thats why some files are missing ? Or am i cold here ?

That was pretty lame of them to say it was open the way that they did. They certainly had a few million people going.
Including the DOT in California. lol

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...fic&id=8225311

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Sorry to distract again. I wrote a letter to Waze asking wtf is happening, why they are becoming closed source and will the source of new versions of waze will be published to the repository again.

The answer was shocking for me:

Hi Plаmen,

Indeed version 3.0 is not GPL, reason being various limitations posed on GPL and other open source related code by various stores as well as device manufacturers. These limitations carry the risk of being kicked out from these stores or being prohibited from running on these devices.

I am attaching below an example (in this case the Blackberry App World store):

BlackBerry App World Vendor Agreement Update

Dear BlackBerry App World Vendor,

We have published a small revision to the App World Vendor Agreement. Click here for new version. The only changes are in section 10(k), which clarifies that open source components are not prohibited, provided that the inclusion of those components does not compromise the proprietary nature of any RIM proprietary code and information or that of any third party (e.g., RIM or third party proprietary SDK/NDK libraries).

Compliance with permissive open source licenses, such as recent BSD and MIT licenses, should be relatively straightforward. Other common open source licenses, such as the various versions of (L)GPL are more complex. Use of components subject to such licenses may or may not be permitted depending upon a variety of factors including the specific license version, context, and use model.

Best Regards,
BlackBerry App World Team

Waze is continuing to contribute to the open source community (for example we supplied a critical Cassandra performance related bug fix not long ago), but having the client side open source is something that became an issue we needed to address.

Regards

Fej

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Open Source Capitol of the World
Took Waze 0.0.9 for a road trip. Lost all mobile signals (Gifford Pinchot Forest) and Waze went into an unrecoverable loop prompt for network connection. Even when returning to a signal available area and choosing my mobile carrier, Waze seemed not to wait for the network connection to stabilize. The select network dialog returned immediately prompting for disconnect of network connection.

If disconnect was selected, then the prompt for connect immediately appeared. And so on.

Could never get out of this loop. Ctrl-backspace would not allow task to be managed.

Eventually had to power down phone to regain control. Shouldn't Waze be able to run in GPS only mode? Understand we lose map downloads etc, but Waze would at least be stable.

Seems that there needs to be some timing added to allow a network connection to complete. And, perhaps a user prompt to continue with GPS only.

Thanks again for the efforts!

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
I have experienced the exact (d)effect with waze on my N900, just like PdxDoug.
It happens with Wi-Fi network or with Mobile internet, it doesn't matter which connection. The only way to get out of this endless prompt is to reboot the phone.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Open Source Capitol of the World
Waze was reviewed briefly in Sunday's (01 Jul 2012) New York Times Automobiles section. Largely positive review.

Wasn't clear as to which mobile device was used for testing nor was the version...

Awesome.

I think its the best app N900 has ever seen. Good job.