N9 Easy Boot is a package that enables you to boot Nemo/Sailfish/... OSes on your phone without re-partitioning using Ubiboot. You should have latest ubiboot installed already.

With this package, you can create a ext4 filesystem image of Nemo/Sailfish, put it into an existing N9 partition (e.g. /home/user/MyDocs/ partition), and boot into it from ubiboot boot menu.

It allows to boot these OSes without fiddling with your N9 partitions. And it is much easier to manage the space dedicated to these OSes. It is even possible to have several versions of the same OS simultaneously (currently, using a separate boot icon. e.g. using Ubuntu boot icon to boot another version of Sailfish)!

You can get it from: n9_easy_boot-1.2.tar.xz

(If you have one of previous versions, you can update to this version using this instead: update-1.x-to-1.2.tar.xz)

Installation instructions are included. It should be farily straightforward.

Hope you find it useful!

Note 1: In the README it is mentioned that sometimes the OSes doesn't boot and phone turns off. So far, it seems that this is cause by errors in filesystem image, which might happen when the OS is not turned off correctly specially for experimental OSes. Running fsck on the image should be enough to fix the problem (sometime just re-trying fixes it too). Example:
Code:
/sbin/fsck.ext4 /home/user/MyDocs/nemo.img

Note 2: If you are using Windows, you should be able to extract the package using software such as 7zip.

Note 3: Package updated to version 1.1, fixes boot problems mentioned in Note 1. Also, README mentions that image can be created in Harmattan, so installation can be done using Windows.

Update 1.2: Fix a bug which caused keeping watchdog busy after loading OS, which could cause high CPU usage.

Last edited by hedayat; 2014-11-03 at 20:15. Reason: Update to 1.2

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to hedayat For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by hedayat View Post
N9 Easy Boot is a package that enables you to boot Nemo/Sailfish/... OSes on your phone without re-partitioning using Ubiboot. You should have latest ubiboot installed already.

With this package, you can create a ext4 filesystem image of Nemo/Sailfish, put it into an existing N9 partition (e.g. /home/user/MyDocs/ partition), and boot into it from ubiboot boot menu.

It allows to boot these OSes without fiddling with your N9 partitions. And it is much easier to manage the space dedicated to these OSes. It is even possible to have several versions of the same OS simultaneously (currently, using a separate boot icon. e.g. using Ubuntu boot icon to boot another version of Sailfish)!

You can get it from: https://hedayat.fedorapeople.org/n9/n9_easy_boot.tar.xz

Hope you find it useful!
Pretty neat thing, using loop filesystem mount can indeed be a good alternative for many people as the repartitioning phase is the one where most people fail the first time they start using ubiboot

Nice work!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 217 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Indonesia, Banyuwangi
Wooooooooooo ....
Im waiting for this one

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irulestar For This Useful Post:
Waiting? Download link is there. :P

The Following User Says Thank You to hedayat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Cairo
Waiting? Download link is there. :P
i think what he meant was 'ive been waiting for this one'

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbnccst For This Useful Post:

You can get it from: https://hedayat.fedorapeople.org/n9/n9_easy_boot.tar.xz

Hope you find it useful!
Could you explain step by step because I've tried but I could not start again meego.....

Could you explain step by step because I've tried but I could not start again meego....

What did you do? Have you successfully installed Ubiboot and boot into Meego before trying this package? Have you followed the included Readme? How many steps have you proceeded?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hedayat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Germany - Potsdam
Did a short test. Very nice this easyboot.
I have a feature request. I think it would be nice, if the variable G_OSx_IMAGE_PATH could also be used with an index (G_OSx_i_IMAGE_PATH) like the variable with the kernel or label, to do things like this:

Code:
G_OSx_1_IMAGE_PATH="/boot/nemo-x11.img"
G_OSx_1_LABEL="Old Nemo"
G_OSx_1_FILE="/boot/Nemo/boot/vmlinuz-nemoX11"
G_OSx_2_IMAGE_PATH="/boot/nemo-way.img"
G_OSx_2_LABEL="New Nemo"
G_OSx_2_FILE="/boot/Nemo/boot/vmlinuz-nemoWay"
G_OSx_3_IMAGE_PATH="/boot/sailfish.img"
G_OSx_3_LABEL="SailfishOS"
G_OSx_3_FILE="/boot/Nemo/boot/vmlinuz-sailfish"
What do you think?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meemorph For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually, I thought about it, but didn't do it for a number of reasons:
1. It meant a little extra work, and I had already run out of free time at that time so I wanted to release it ASAP; and I was not sure if there'll be any interest in it! So, I decided to go without that feature.
2. As I said in the first post, you can abuse other OS icons for a few extra OS options (e.g. Using Ubuntu for booting another version of Nemo)
3. It is somewhat inconsistent with the current Ubiboot design, where each entry is dedicated to a single OS, and the extra menu provides only kernel selection. As in your example, such a feature allows adding an entry for Sailfish among Nemo entries!

But, as you said, it seems like a good addition. Specially, since ubiboot is currently lmited to 6 OSes, and with N9 Easy Boot you can easily have more OSes, I'll try to look into it at some point (Patches are welcome too!).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hedayat For This Useful Post: