Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
It must come down to you simply having decent reception wherever you're using it (I think the underlying issue's being triggered by poor/unreliable reception).
I & others with the same config. (inc. T$) still have issues, UNLESS we use Profilematic to switch to 2G & back to 3G, when going idle & then back to non-idle.

I'm talking about the Hidden WLAN that keeps popping up in the Internet connection dialogue,* alongside local WiFi AP's & my carrier's 3G internet.
If I go into Edit networks under Internet connection it's not there, not exactly sure what purpose it serves, perhaps just another local AP that doesn't broadcast SSID?

*which is straight under Settings.

I've had zeros issues like that when connecting to WiFi AP's so long as my signal's decent & not always dropping out.
The vast majority of users in this thread get the symptoms you describe ONLY when connecting to the net via 3G.
I have this problem when using both wifi and 3g. Might it starts when using 3g, but then I can't connect even on wifi. Restarting icd2 fixes it.

Maybe we can write a daemon to verify if there are problems with the connection and automatically restart icd2? What do you think?

Even when you have it on auto you still need to put in a automatic proxy-server address.
(which will auto-configure all the fixed addresses for the diff. protocols if/when things change)
Weirdly though, some haven't put one in & it's fixed the problem for them regardless...

Not an issue at all for my WLAN configurations, no worse than most of my other devices.

What makes you think that will help? How did you do that?

@nmd

Did you ever hear back from Nokia?
I did, but they wanted me to wipe my phone from their software suite before they escalated it to 'level 3 support', or whatever that meant. I don't have a windows installation and I don't feel like having to wipe my phone to convince them that this is a bug. I bet if enough people contact Nokia directly about the issue, we could get something to happen....all other avenues seem to be pointless.

I have also since switched my phone over to manual 2G, and the phone has yet to lose reception since. Battery life has improved ten-fold as well, as I am not constantly having to restart my phone. If I need 3G, I will just manually switch it on/off, and hopefully that will work better until we can figure this out.

Last edited by nmd; 2012-08-29 at 14:37.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
I'm talking about the Hidden WLAN that keeps popping up in the Internet connection dialogue,* alongside local WiFi AP's & my carrier's 3G internet.
If I go into Edit networks under Internet connection it's not there, not exactly sure what purpose it serves, perhaps just another local AP that doesn't broadcast SSID?

*which is straight under Settings.
So we were talking about two different things,
But my connection is broken again.

I have 1 bar and a Blue "3.5" icon but when i call my number it doesnt ring, i cant dial out or get internet. this doesnt work:
Code:
/sbin/initctl restart xsession/icd2
Also everytime Twitter starts it pops up the unresponsive dialog, everytime. I dont use any hocus pocus software for tweaking and such.

Last edited by balisingh; 2012-08-30 at 01:10.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
For unresponsive twitter you can try this
rm -f /home/user/.cache/data/twitter/*.db

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Anyone still experiencing this issue? If not, what have you tried.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
It's not a problem for me now, I don't even bother using profilematic to switch to 2g (& back again when active) when idle for x min.
Admittedly I work from home & very rarely travel (except down the road to buy food etc), so it might be worse in other areas.

*update*
I speak too soon, internet connectivity's still foobared when I use 3g, receiving & making calls is not a problem though.
Actually it seems setting to 2g & back to 3g does jack now, & even /sbin/initctl restart xsession/icd2 doesn't work! (didn't disconnect from 3g 1st, nor did I try restarting)

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-16 at 10:45.

It's not a problem for me now, I don't even bother using profilematic to switch to 2g (& back again when active) when idle for x min.
Admittedly I work from home & very rarely travel (except down the road to buy food etc), so it might be worse in other areas.

*update*
I speak too soon, internet connectivity's still foobared when I use 3g, receiving & making calls is not a problem though.
Actually it seems setting to 2g & back to 3g does jack now, & even /sbin/initctl restart xsession/icd2 doesn't work! (didn't disconnect from 3g 1st, nor did I try restarting)
I've been going most of the night without issue.

I'm going to see how long I can go. When I've had the issue, I've only noticed the worst symptoms, with all cell radios completely unusable (no text/calls/data)

I still have a feeling there's an external force at work, why would this just stop popping up ~8 months after we've had the phone without doing any updates.

Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
3G works fine. WiFi is still messed up. Loses bars completely and disconnects randomly even if I'm sitting a few steps away from the router.

It's getting worse.. it was perfect in PR 1.1, a lil prob in PR 1.2.. and now.. I have no idea if it's because I dropped my phone or just software issue =/

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^See the first four pages in this thread...
It's about connectivity issues (& sometimes calls/voice in tandem with that) that arise with cellular connections onto the net.
If anyone's getting that with WiFi please start another thread, or maybe there's already one.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-16 at 18:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
^See the first four pages in this thread...
It's about connectivity issues (& sometimes calls/voice in tandem with that) that arise with cellular connections onto the net.
If anyone's getting that with WiFi please start another thread, or maybe there's already one.
Sigh it returned.

What's scary is I know AT&T is planning on spinning down their 2G network so... crap, if Nokia doesn't fix this we're *** out.