Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Nowhere, Nebraska
Hey all!

It's been awhile since I posted, still using my n800 constantly - a 32gb mp3 for my car w/ stereo adapter

Anyway, my questions are: Is there an in-line controller for track/volume/stop/etc. that will work for the N-series? Something like this Eforcity Wired Remote Control that will let me keep the n800 in my console, but change tracks, or whatever with the control that is plugged into the 3mm jack and then has the 3mm tape adapter plug into that? They have them for Ipods (w/ that damn proprietary plug) and that Jensen thing... would that work? Or is there a similar accessorie (that's not hugely overpriced) that could do this?

Second... is volume. Even with the Taskbar applet that lets me change the brigntness and volume beyond the default controls, it is STILL very quiet (like my linux distro on my PC... solved by editing the config for alsa) is there a workaround (or a speaker or sumthin) I have to buy to get volume to acceptable levels? I like to listen in the car (obviously) and w/o headphones or the tape adapter, the soft purr of the engine drowns it out... any suggestions?

Thanks,

J

Last edited by ndoftaworld; 2009-03-03 at 17:41.

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Why not use a HID Bluetooth device (I use my sony Ericsson phone) to control your NIT

The Following User Says Thank You to fredoll For This Useful Post:
Hmm, great idea. I just got a new Virgin Mobile flair (almost NOTHING works out here in the boondocks :P ) but don't think it has mp3 controls. Gotta have BT push and mp3 right?

Thx, really good idea!

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I think HiD profile is enough
then SE phones allows to show a nice image on the screen to explain which button does what

No, you need the ability to run Java (or other) apps that can access the bluetooth stack to implement HID.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i suspect SE phones use AVRCP for its remote control stuff...

but its only a suspicion...

In regards to your second question (and sorry if this seems obvious) but did you make sure that the volume is turned all the way up in your media player app in addition to the system wide volume?

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ abuja, nigeria (currently)
also on the volume query, there really is more to it than the control panel UI reveals. this post describes info on using mplayer from canola and getting the mplayer volume up -- specifically as per the mplayer man pages:

edit /home/user/.mplayer/config like

Code:
af=volume=13.1:0
softvol-max=450
#af=volume=<v>:<sc>
#
# Where
#
# * <v> is the desired gain in dB for all channels in the stream from -200dB
#   to +60dB, where -200dB mutes the sound completely and +60dB equals a gain
#   of 1000 (default: 0).
# * <sc> Turns soft clipping on (1) or off (0). Soft-clipping can make the
#   sound more smooth if very high volume levels are used. Enable this option
#   if the dynamic range of the loudspeakers is very low.
the mplayer docs say

In most cases it is best to set the level for the PCM sound to max, leave this filter out and control the output level to your speakers with the master volume control of the mixer.
but I haven't found anything else to tweek -- and by modifying the .mplayer/config file as above I was able to shift the audio from "can barely hear over ambient on headphones" to "painful on headphones".

another one to investigate might be

/etc/gconf/schemas/osso-sound.schemas

which sets the 'master_volume' default to 70, but haven't played with this recently.

rob.

The Following User Says Thank You to robmiller For This Useful Post:
Thanks guys! I'm not exactly *sure* how I did it ( I HAVE to document everything or it's gone...) but I did notice the external jack (headphones) are WAY too quiet. I might try ur suggestion, because I'm thinking that I DID end up editing the .mplayer file

Music (thru the speakers) has always worked, I also switched to the default snd-card to alsa - it's just those dang xvids' that wouldn't... and now - I can HEAR what I'm watching! Yay!

PS. Sill looking for a line-in/headphone remote control. Ipod's gottem, that link above does - even Sony's PSP... does it have to do w/ the odd/proprietary output jack? It'll fit a 3.5mm, but it's got a 'wider' slot, for the mic on the DS I assumed... oh well.

Thanks again!!

Nd