Posts: 21 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Czechia
@Skry: Thanks to the Wiki, I finally have USB networking. modprobing g_ether (via modprobe.d, if this is the recommended method) will be one of the first steps I'll take during my new installation (hopefully I'll get to it next week or so).

@PanzerSajt: Even interest means a lot

Just FYI, Skry's Dropbox content is now available on my mirror.

The package cache (before I started an update) is there too but it mostly comprises old Arch Linux ARM packages, and (sadly) just a few Alarm-N900 ones, I simply didn't go deep enough when this project was more active. But it seems the missing parts (such as pulseaudio packages and much more) are in the ZIP above.

The Following User Says Thank You to lenoch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Attaching my packages cache list, please select only the ones you need and I'll try to publish them if there are any. Ready to help you with testing a little bit but only in case we work with Maemo chroot, N900 is still my main mobile device and I wouldn't like rebooting it to use Arch.

Do I understand correctly that we can't make Maemo work with newer kernels on N900?
Attached Files
File Type: gz int_ua_archarm_cache.tar.gz (7.0 KB, 150 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Yes and No;
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...&postcount=159

It's work in progress

See also: https://github.com/pali/linux-n900/tree/v4.7-rc4-n900
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

Last edited by mr_pingu; 2016-07-28 at 21:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
@int_ua: chroot was a very relevant use case to me until a glib update – thank you for showing a solution

I used Arch in chroot to have a working Python 3.4, swi-prolog and SSH client with support for ECSDA keys, and maybe other great stuff.

But what about sound? Do you think it is possible to play music from inside chroot? I didn't have success with plain ALSA, maybe I just didn't try hard enough. I guess a method involving PulseAudio (of a compatible version) could work: either by connecting separate instances in Maemo and Arch, or by making whatever PA might use to communicate with clients available to Arch (sockets, pipes, /dev/shm, I haven't looked)… Thinking about that, I would be surprised if this weren't solved in other projects, such as EasyDebian

The Following User Says Thank You to lenoch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
Originally Posted by lenoch View Post
But what about sound? Do you think it is possible to play music from inside chroot? I didn't have success with plain ALSA, maybe I just didn't try hard enough. I guess a method involving PulseAudio (of a compatible version) could work: either by connecting separate instances in Maemo and Arch, or by making whatever PA might use to communicate with clients available to Arch (sockets, pipes, /dev/shm, I haven't looked)… Thinking about that, I would be surprised if this weren't solved in other projects, such as EasyDebian
Based on my current experience with ALSA and/versus PA on Ubuntu I guess (!) you'll have to at least stop PA on Maemo to make ALSA work. (Stopped using PA because it sometime hits 100% CPU until it's restarted, presumably because of faulty Intel drivers).

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
OKAY I've spent four days reading through this thread from beginning to the end. Ready to install now ☺

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tcbl50 For This Useful Post:
Keep us posted I plan to give it a go over the weekend.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenoch For This Useful Post:
well it booted

what no window manager/desktop

..just joking. will start testing/installing tomorrow

off to bed!

my experience so far. Install was very easy. Had to do a lot of Google on how to use wifi-menu, wpa_supplicant. Got online..couldn't install anything..Google again. Pacman needs to be sync fine... nice. Even installed chromium sshfs...had to do ssh as the small font in console was doing my head in n changing fonts as described in the wiki refused to work... then I did an upgrade not got a fubar. And yet I had followed the instructions for upgrading as archlinux was changing libraries

That was fun. Reinstalled and started reading this thread again. Reading about different desktops and then I saw this

Originally Posted by caveman View Post
Anyone tried the latest filesystem package upgrade?

Ok, I have tried the upgrade following the procedure suggested in the forums:
Code:
pacman -Suy --ignore filesystem
pacman -Su
That worked in the raspberry pi, but not in the n900. It resulted in a broken system. So be cautious when you upgrade.
Ahhh....

Still reading and I think I love archlinux. Wanna try it on my spare PC. Fun to be tinkering