Active Topics

Hello. I have finally received my N810, which appears to be new as the ebay seller claims. I have a couple of startup questions:

The version of the OS is reported as 2.2007.51-3.

I have downloaded and attempted to install the file RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin, which I surmise is the most recent update for the N810, but so far without success.
I have recently learned that the preprogrammed nokia sites are not accessible, so I tried to search this site for ways to do it manually. My desktop OS is Windows 7, but even if I had Linux, all needed files appear to have disappeared from the Nokia site, chiefly "Update Wizard for Windows". Could some kind soul facilitate that file for me? I would be most appreciative.

I was planning to take my sweet time learning how to use the N810, as long as I was quickly able to use it for my main purpose, the Garnet-VM emulator, but the file I obtained from a member here (garnet-vm_1.0.6b_ITOS2008_armel.deb) will not install, apparently I need an OS update first or the File Manager/Application Manager install will not work (I don't yet know how to use the shell for such things).

I am hoping the update will take care of my preliminary problems (the inability to install some programs, and dosbox not working properly).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by civil; 2013-02-19 at 04:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to civil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Maybe, Wiki can help.
Best wishes.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
the default browser on the N810 is severely outdated and slow. Opera is the only decent solution as well as fennec 1.0 which is still slow but better than opera for some pages

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Washington State
Originally Posted by civil View Post
I have recently learned that the preprogrammed nokia sites are not accessible, so I tried to search this site for ways to do it manually.
Can't help you WRT Windows, but if you can boot Linux I see a copy of the old flasher tool at:

http://www.jakemaheu.com/flasher-3.0-static

It sounds like you already have the Diablo image--great.
The command line is:

./flasher-3.0-static -f -F RX44_DIABLO_5.2008.437_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -R

(Dang web form, that's all one command line.)

If you have trouble with "device busy", you need to stomp a couple of modules which are trying to helpfully run your device for you:

sudo modprobe -r cdc_phonet
sudo modprobe -r phonet

Enjoy. It's quite a device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vandys For This Useful Post:
Thanks. If I can find a way to run a linux session from within windows, I may try that approach.

I am still hoping to find the Windows utility instead.

Last edited by civil; 2013-02-19 at 04:00.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
The Garnet version I sent you was for an N800 device.

As far as I know though, it should still work on yours since it's almost the same operating system.

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
The Garnet version I sent you was for an N800 device.

As far as I know though, it should still work on yours since it's almost the same operating system.
Thanks again. I attempted to use the File Manager to install, but it complained several files were missing, so I assume they are files missing from the OS. I do not have the command line instructions, which might be needed since I do not know how to install a program on the card (I assume the File Manager installs to internal memory, not what I want).

I also happen to have the file garnet-vm_1.0.6b_ITOS2009_armel.rar, which I downloaded before from the Access site when I had not made up my mind to buy the N810. Based on the forums I assume that is one of the files that will not longer work, though for some reason it says ITOS2009 instead of 2008, and it is a slightly bigger file.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
You can read about flashing in Wiki.
I am sending an archive with flasher-3.5 executable. However, it is for 32-bit machine running Windows XP-or-Vista. I am not sure whether it works for Windows 7.
Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Washington State
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
You can read about flashing in Wiki.
I am sending an archive with flasher-3.5 executable. However, it is for 32-bit machine running Windows XP-or-Vista. I am not sure whether it works for Windows 7.
Best wishes.
I thought I read in the release notes that flasher-3.5 is not for the N810? That's why I pointed to a 3.1 copy. Please post if it worked
OK for you flashing an 810, that would be good to know.

Thanks,
Andy

The Following User Says Thank You to vandys For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vandys View Post
I thought I read in the release notes that flasher-3.5 is not for the N810? That's why I pointed to a 3.1 copy. Please post if it worked
OK for you flashing an 810, that would be good to know.

Thanks,
Andy
The one you posted is for linux, the other for windows. I will try the windows first, because downloading and creating a Linux CD will be quite time consuming by itself.

I hope I don't brick my N810 with flasher-3.5. Will try this afternoon.