I want to use my N810 in host mode to back up images from my SD-800 Canon camera. I have the necessary super-rare micro USB to mini USB cable and I installed "USB control" from maemo.org.

I launched USB control, selected "Host Mode", clicked "refresh" (don't know if that's necessary). But then two error messages popped up: "Unable to connect via USB" and "Unable to connect. Device not supported".

I've read conflicting reports in the archives as to whether my Canon camera should work. I've also read conflicting reports about additional files needed to make USB control truly functional.

What else should I try to get USB control working with my Canon camera?

After the failed host mode test, I used USB control to put the N810 back in peripheral mode. But I had to restart the N810 multiple times before the unit actually went back into peripheral mode (that is, before my PC could see the N810's memory). Is USB control really that gawd-awful?

Wayne Estes

Originally Posted by Wayne Estes View Post
I want to use my N810 in host mode to back up images from my SD-800 Canon camera. I have the necessary super-rare micro USB to mini USB cable and I installed "USB control" from maemo.org.

I launched USB control, selected "Host Mode", clicked "refresh" (don't know if that's necessary). But then two error messages popped up: "Unable to connect via USB" and "Unable to connect. Device not supported".

I've read conflicting reports in the archives as to whether my Canon camera should work. I've also read conflicting reports about additional files needed to make USB control truly functional.

What else should I try to get USB control working with my Canon camera?

After the failed host mode test, I used USB control to put the N810 back in peripheral mode. But I had to restart the N810 multiple times before the unit actually went back into peripheral mode (that is, before my PC could see the N810's memory). Is USB control really that gawd-awful?
Sorry to disappoint you, but... that's not a failed host-mode test, that's a successful host-mode test. The first message always shows up, as a friendly warning. The second one shows up when a device that's neither HID nor mass-storage is detected. Unfortunately, 30 seconds with Google turned up statements that the SD800 "uses PTP and MTP, but not USB mass storage", so you'll need to use some program that speaks one of those (maybe gphoto2, or some other libgphoto-based software) rather than the file manager.

Not sure about returning to normal mode, unless your camera tried to draw too much current, in which case the port may shutdown entirely until reboot.

Thanks for the prompt and clear reply. I'll look into the photo programs.

I suppose you realize how hilarious it is to read that "Unable to connect via USB" is a "friendly warning" that the USB connection is really working.

Wayne Estes

Last edited by Wayne Estes; 2009-02-25 at 02:58.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Wayne Estes View Post
I suppose you realize how absurd it seems when you wrote that "Unable to connect via USB" is a "friendly warning" that the USB connection is really working.
If it helps, think of the message as, "'Unable to connect via USB' as a mass storage device, so I've gone ahead and become the USB host you want me to be."

I found in the archives that DaretheBare created an installable gphoto2 program for the N810.

I downloaded gphoto2-2.4.4-1_all.deb file from Dare's web site:
http://darethehair.googlepages.com/software.html

How does an appliance user install a .deb file? Searching the archives for "install .deb" didn't reveal anything that looked helpful.

Wayne Estes

Um, just download it on your tablet. Then just go to Utilities>File manager and click on the deb. It should bring up the Application manager then you just install. Or browse to the website and click on the download link and instead of saving the deb click on open. That should also bring you to the app manger.

Downloading and "installing" the .DEB file was easy. But how do I launch the program? The web site says "command line only". How do I get a command prompt in the N810? Is that X-terminal? What command should I enter to launch gphoto2?

I can't find Gphoto2 in the File Manager. In fact the File Manager doesn't show ANY "application" files! It only shows "media" files. That's really bizarre to this PC guy accustomed to seeing all files in Windows Explorer.

So I have several fundamental questions:

1. Where are applications stored?
2. Is there an application that allows me to see application files using File Manager or a similar graphical program?
3. What is the nomenclature to run a program from the command prompt?
4. Can I create a shortcut for gphoto2 in one of my task launcher categories? Or would a script be required to do that?

I don't think I'm an idiot but I sure feel like one. It's like reading a foreign language when I search for information on any given topic. You guys have been really helpful, though!

Wayne Estes

Last edited by Wayne Estes; 2009-02-25 at 06:47.

Ya, the prompt is x-term. Checking here it looks like typing gphoto2 in x-term is how you use it. You may want to get personal menu, it should allow you to make a shortcut which will launch gphoto and do some other stuff. It's also useful to learn basic commands for the CLI of linux this site maybe helpful.

Last edited by D'ohboy; 2009-02-25 at 07:25.

According to the referenced user manual, the gphoto2 application has only a command line interface. The manual describes a program called GTKAM that provides a graphical user interface.

The sourceforge web site has a link to download the GTKAM application as a .tar.gz or a .tar.bz2 file. Is one of those files something that I can install on my N810?

Wayne Estes

I suppose you've probably already considered this, but why not just take the SD card out of the camera and connect it using a card reader? Granted that requires another special adapter, but they aren't particularly rare.

A three inch adapter cable connected to a transcend sd card reader doesn't take up very much space.