I was sending some SMS's today and noticed that the timestamps were not the correct time. Look at the time on my phone and the time on the last SMS. Is this normal? A bug? I ran into another instance where I know they sent me an SMS like 30 minutes before what it said (when I looked at the SMS is said I got it now when I know they sent it 30 minutes ago).

Start paying attention to your timestamps and see if this happens to you.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
I noticed this today as well, but I also noticed that I had time update on my device turned off so it doesn't constantly check, everything to save juice, and the time on the device was a bit off, and the timestamp from the SMS appears to be from the network, so adjust the time on your device and it should match up to the SMS timestamp.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Cute girl in the pic btw, oh yeah mine does the same thing to avatar pics too in sms with the cropping and chopping as well.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland

The Following User Says Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
I have set it to automatically update the time so I might change this to save battery as you mentioned. But regarding the screen shot above, my phone was set to automatically update.

Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
Cute girl in the pic btw, oh yeah mine does the same thing to avatar pics too in sms with the cropping and chopping as well.
Picture is from facebook using the Hermes syncing application.

Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Maybe this?

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5994
That seems to be very close. A lot of those people report the times being different by the difference in their timezone (-5 hours off for instance). In mine, they were only a few minutes off. It's probably the same bug,

yeah i also notice this too today, and she her phone is set in the same time zone

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
Its because there are 2 different times. One is supplied by the n900 (whatever you have it as) and the other comes from the service provider (for reference). The one on your phone shows when the message was received in your phone and the one from the service provider shows when the message was received by them So if someone sends you a text when you have no signal, and get signal an hour later, the time in the message info will show the time an hour early. (When your service provider received it in your pending account). Sounds complicated but i dont see it as a bug since it happens to all my phones. Some phones dont display the service provider time which is why it always seems to be correct.

Originally Posted by waleed786 View Post
Its because there are 2 different times. One is supplied by the n900 (whatever you have it as) and the other comes from the service provider (for reference). The one on your phone shows when the message was received in your phone and the one from the service provider shows when the message was received by them So if someone sends you a text when you have no signal, and get signal an hour later, the time in the message info will show the time an hour early. (When your service provider received it in your pending account). Sounds complicated but i dont see it as a bug since it happens to all my phones. Some phones dont display the service provider time which is why it always seems to be correct.

Found the problem. Set time zone update to "update automatically" and the correct time will be used.

I set it manualy to GMT+1 but then still show the "off" time.

This is a BUG of course.

Tags
communication with future