Hi,
I've been using an N900 for almost a year now.
I've just updated power kernel and some other programs and i've restarted the phone. But it is no longer able to start again. It just shows me the Nokia screen then it tries to restart itself.

My usb port is also broken for the second time and I tried to solder it but it was pointless. Is there any way to get my phone working back again? Is there any way to run the flasher without connecting through usb or starting N900 in "safe mode"?

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
You cannot run the flasher on its own when it comes to starting clean again, flasher still requires the firmware uploaded from a remote device.

The only possible `safe mode' is only enabling R&D mode, but that does not help you if you have a screwed up kernel, missing kernel modules, etc.

You never mentioned which other programs you installed (which would actually help if you did). Assuming you never played with nitdroid, or meego CE, it is a little unusual to get bootloops.

You still need to resolder your microUSB port back in, maybe you might need to solder more flux on the actual sides so that it may give the port more grip on the board. You should probably also consider filing the teeth out of those microUSB plugs you have out to prevent your yet again re-soldered microUSB port out from falling out.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I wonder if anyone (moderators) monitors device/app issues? I think I've seen (recently) two cases where the N900 stops at Nokia screen. So I was wondering if TMO has a way to alert N900 users on potential dangers, bugs, issues based on reported feedbacks.

eg. In case some software/app or updates was found to have cause problems, it would be nice to have an alert/warning. Sometimes we miss these issues when posted on threads with different subject title.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
I think that would be more work for the moderators to be frank, any number of us has myriads of ways that we choose to install (other programs that may conflict), upgrade or even configure in a way.

Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
You cannot run the flasher on its own when it comes to starting clean again, flasher still requires the firmware uploaded from a remote device.

The only possible `safe mode' is only enabling R&D mode, but that does not help you if you have a screwed up kernel, missing kernel modules, etc.

You never mentioned which other programs you installed (which would actually help if you did). Assuming you never played with nitdroid, or meego CE, it is a little unusual to get bootloops.

You still need to resolder your microUSB port back in, maybe you might need to solder more flux on the actual sides so that it may give the port more grip on the board. You should probably also consider filing the teeth out of those microUSB plugs you have out to prevent your yet again re-soldered microUSB port out from falling out.
I've never tried to install meego/nitdroid etc. Even my maemo version is 1.2 i didn't update it to 1.3 because i didn't want to flash it.
I don't remember all the programs i've tried to upgrade, there was about 20 of them. But after i updated it, WLAN switcher didn't restart my WLAN and APMD stopped working. So i thought that since its a computer i should try restarting it, which get me to where i am right now.

I will try resoldering it even if i can't stablize it i will try a temporary fix to flash my N900. Is there any other way to access my files and save my pictures in my N900? Or if i can access them in any other way, i should be able to run a fixer tool for linux.

Also, I'm in Turkey and nokia isn't selling the phone here, so there is no official help i can get.

Originally Posted by matrix1536 View Post
Hi,
I've been using an N900 for almost a year now.
I've just updated power kernel and some other programs and i've restarted the phone. But it is no longer able to start again. It just shows me the Nokia screen then it tries to restart itself.
I also updated the power kernel and it wont boot I have this same problem as matrix1536.

However when I try to reflash the device it does detect it but then says my n900 is a RX-51 hw revision 0000 and then it stops the flash.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Last edited by fabiaz; 2011-09-19 at 21:51.