Posts: 25 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam
Just got my 64GB N9 today from handtech.

Overall the device is working perfectly but I see two major problems:

1. Reboots, got about 4 to 6 reboots now in less then one day of use. That said last couple of hours I had none.

2. Applications crash, mostly the vendor installed games.. almost all crash for no apparent reason.. I also had the contact application crash while adding a nice contact.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trbs For This Useful Post:
Just got my Black 64gb today from phonesonline.ie and have been experiencing regular crashes and reboots for the last 8 hours of so..
Quite annoyed but am tempted to wait for 1.1 if it's purely crashy firmware.

Has crashed with 3rd party and nokia software equally and reboots more than just freezing

Last edited by kiwicelt; 2011-11-02 at 20:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to kiwicelt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Winchester, UK
Originally Posted by kiwicelt View Post
Quite annoyed but am tempted to wait if 1.1 if it's purely crashy firmware.
We don't currently know whether it's software or hardware. Earlier assertions that the firmware was a pre-release version (which I repeated before verifying) turned out to be incorrect.

I'm leaning towards returning my device at the moment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonquark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Athens Greece
mine came to day i dont have any crashes and reboots 16g black made in finland EU model

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zapotek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ London
I've seen an improvement in stability today, but the trade off has been that the web browser won't open! Fighting with this phone has actually become entertaining...

The Following User Says Thank You to jah25 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Riga, Latvia
Just to add data points, mine says Made in Finland, 059J187 64GB Black, firmware version 10.2011.34-1_PR_001

The reboots are once a couple of days or so, although yesterday it rebooted twice. Lockups even less often. It's not that bad but still annoying, I really hope it's software not hardware issue. Gonna take a peek at logs when it reboots again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by cpitchford View Post
Received my N9 last night.. 64G Austria Black model, which seems to match the handtec batch's product code though I bought it from a different supplier.

It "black screened of death" within an hour of use. It has rebooted maybe 60 times now. It "locks" up whilst showing the clock on a locked screen.. Can't unlock the screen even though the clock continues to update and move?! Every app is crashing, browser, contacts (about 3/5 opens will close when selecting any contact) even the xterm in dev mode crashes.. even if I'm not typing/running anything?!?!?

It's a really tough call.. I remember the pm settings for the N900 that solved random reboots with PR1.0 and that there was a fix in the next release.. but I have a suspicion my device might really be hosed and a new release won't fix this flaw..

I expected a few bugs, but its in a whole other level of crashiness.. About the only app that hasn't crashed yet is the clock app

I've seen graphics errors. Not so much lagging when scrolling, but mis-shaped apps.. apps that fill a quarter of the screen (I downloaded a file manager app and that was the first time I saw the error, though I've seen it a few time since)

Having had it out of the box for less than 24 hours (and having had to reflash once already) I'm going to see if I can pull some debug stuff out this evening when I get home..

I guess I'm asking if this crazy level unreliable-ness matches what is being talked about here, or if maybe I've got more than firmware bug problems
This actually sounds better than my experience, honest.
64GB from Handtec, Austrian, received Monday.

I have also flashed it a good number of times, always using the same firmware version, sometimes followed by eMMC (before reboot) and sometimes without.
More often than not the flash process failed at various points, alas no patterns observed. Sometimes failing at the beginning, sometimes at the finalizing stage, or anywhere in between.

Constant:
No SIM card used at all.

Variables:
2 different laptops
  • Dell Vostro 1510 / Windows XP 32-bit
  • HP Envy 17 / Windows 7 64-bit

Tried various USB ports on both.

After one failed flashing it wouldn't boot past the Nokia logo. Finally recovered by flashing (when it chose to complete) by adding -c to perform a cold flash.

My deduction is that this has to be some kind of hardware fault as no change in symptoms even after successful flashes.

I am very happy with Handtec's service and believe this is just bad luck.
However, in order to avoid potential complications with their faulty goods procedure (28 day window I think) I intend getting a replacement as soon as possible, stock permitting.
I don't see the point in holding out for the new firmware, whenever this may be, as a) It's currently just a paper weight, b) Can't see how it can be a software fault as my (successful) firmware flashes have made zero difference.

My cynical side reckons this could even, just possibly be, part of Elop's cunning plan to ensure the N9 fails, e.g. lowering the QA bar. But I'd rather remain positive and look forward to replacement. If I get impatient I may just have to source a 770 to complete my tablet family! OCD?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Faz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam
Completing my info:

Made in Finland, N9 64GB Black, firmware version 10.2011.34-1_PR_001

Going by the maps preloaded in the maps application it looks like this is a version from Austria.

Really wondering what's causing these crashes... I have found no clue's in either dmesg or /var/log/syslog. No ecc errors like I read somewhere or other messages indicating a problem...

The Following User Says Thank You to trbs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
The only third party app I've installed was a file browser app, which I've not needed to actually use yet.. Apps are crashing with such regularity its scary. I would expect if it were RAM issues, there would be kernel table inconsistencies, and killed processes would be reported in dmesg, instead they just stop, or rather I've not found what caused exit (SEGV, ILL, BUS etc)

The phone app crashes whilst I'm entering a phone number, the N9 simple cannot be this wildly unstable? The product code, for those who don't know is a number (starting 0) printed on the SIM tray.. This will identify the regional varient of the device..

The Handtec devices (and mine, unfortunately) all seem to be the Austrian 64 black device with code 059J1V4.. Maybe it really is localised to just this model? Does anyone else suffer many many random reboots on a device with a different code (any 16gb owners as affected?)

/sys/kernel/pm_debug looks like it might be interesting
Where's the bootreason and dsme logs gone on this device?! dammit! More investigating to do

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cpitchford For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Hi, firstly I'm genuinely sorry for you guys that are having problems with your new N9. I've been reading the posts here, so just in case it helps anyone go through a process of elimination, I summarise my [fault free] N9 details below:

1. To be clear 'fault free' means no reboots, freezes, or distortion issues. No material lags.

2. Source: Handtec.co.uk - arrived Monday 31/10/11. Arrived in good order, but noticed no seal on the Nokia box. ?

3. Product: Nokia N9 64gb. Made in Finland. Version: 10.2011.34-1_PR_001

4. Developer mode: OFF

5. All Stock (out of box) apps work fine

6. All downloaded apps (see below) also work fine

fMobi, qTranslate, Converter, City Scene, Shortcuts, File Manager, Filebox.

7. Issues? Well Accuweather caused a slight stall when first opened. So did AP mobile. One-off incidents.

8. Max number of apps open at one time (so far); probably about 8.

9. Accounts: Facebook, Flickr, Google, Mail for Exchange (google), Nokia account, IMAP email, Skype, Twitter and YouTube.

I think most people on here have been drooling to get an N9 for a long time. Me included. I think if you are experiencing some of the problems described in this thread, you should take a cold dispassionate view. Would you accept any product that behaved that way...answer would be no. It's obvious that some of you have been very unlucky and it's still uncertain what's causing the problem, but if there are N9s that are working fine, don't suffer indefinitely. It's a beautiful product and you should all be enjoying the most of it.

Footnote: Expansys.co.uk was due to have 16gb versions in stock on 3 November.

If I can of any further help, give me a shout. I'm subscribed to this thread and at twitter Horizon_fall

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpfsn For This Useful Post: