I just bought a Hawking USB WiFi Antenna. It plugs into my USB port and gives me excellent USB coverage of public WiFi networks. I'm wondering if I got a genderbender and plugged it into the Nokia 810 USB port would it be recognized and then provide superior WiFi reception. Thoughts anyone?

Peter

I've never really had any problems picking up wi-fi signals on the tablets. They seem to be very good at wi-fi detection.

But of course adding an aerial might make them even better...

Originally Posted by psnewman View Post
I just bought a Hawking USB WiFi Antenna. It plugs into my USB port and gives me excellent USB coverage of public WiFi networks. I'm wondering if I got a genderbender and plugged it into the Nokia 810 USB port would it be recognized and then provide superior WiFi reception. Thoughts anyone?

Peter
Do you have a model number so that I could look it up?

It is unlikely that the driver for the Hawking is already installed on the tablet.

So the process would be to figure out the chipset in the device, find open source drivers for it, and compile them for maemo.

If you are lucky, it may be one of the drivers that have already been ported.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
I am not excited about the wifi power application on my N810 especially when I compare it to my Dell V51V. The Dell will 'see' several AP's and connect that my N810 will not indicate?
Any suggestions?

It's the Hawking HWUN1. It picks up a good many more signals and at greater strength than the internal antenna of the Nokia. By the way, it's an excellent product if you need more gain for your WiFi connection. It plugs into my USB port and is seen as network connection. But as someone else has noted, this is after installing software that gives it connectivity. I don't know if it would see the Nokia without the right driver and what would that driver be?

Peter

Originally Posted by CVBruce View Post
Do you have a model number so that I could look it up?

does this antenna come with the software necessary for n810/os2008?

No. The CD is just for Windows and Macs. I'm guessing this is a non-starter, not gonna happen. Too bad. It's a great antenna.

Slightly off-topic: Since my XP computer gets connected with this thing, I have another WiFI antenna - could I use my PC to retransmit the received network connection to my 810 with the other antenna connected? Or is this just getting way too complicated to be worth it?

Peter

Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post

The Following User Says Thank You to psnewman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by wesgreen View Post
LOL dude. I have never seen anything come with Linux x86 drivers, let alone ARM Maemo drivers! If you are lucky, the manufacturer will have drivers on their website for Linux x86. No chance at all for Maemo.

The only chance you have is if there is an open source driver for your chipset. My WiFi USB only works with Windows drivers in a wrapper, so no Maemo for me. You may be lucky.

Steps to see if your adapter works:

Get a Linux (ubunut, cent, something new) live CD, and boot your computer with it.

Plug your stick in. If it works without you doing anything, chances are there is a open source driver for it. If it does not, well, you have to start using Google.

If you can find the driver, someone here will probably help you compile it for N810 if you ask nicely.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

A bit of googling shows that it uses a ralink chipset which has opensource support.

But we need to be more specfic. If you have the cables, can you try plugging the device into your n810 (via a powered hub), then put the n810 into host mode for USB.

Then get to the terminal and do lsusb - either post the product/vendor id here, or google it up and see what linux drivers are available.

Note that the drivers will need compiling for the n810, and also you will not be able to power the wifi card using the n810, it will always need external power.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post: