Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
And the email client occasional freeze on its main page STILL not fixed. Must be the hardest bug in ages to fix.
Could be related to the type of your account?
I've got (just one) IMAP account configured, and I have never had any problems like that. Currently about 6500 emails in my inbox.

The browser miss-clicking STILL there.
You mean the thing when you cannot hit the link after zooming, and had to do zoom&pan to be able to click a link?
That was fixed ages ago, and at least I have not noticed any regression like that?

The vkb intermittently not popping up on webforms STILL there.
Does this happen on some specific sites? Have not noticed it myself.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
And the email client occasional freeze on its main page STILL not fixed. Must be the hardest bug in ages to fix.
I've got (just one) IMAP account configured, and I have never had any problems like that. Currently about 6500 emails in my inbox.
I am not sure if this is the same thing Larswad is on about but I have also noticed a certain anomaly. I have 7 IMAP accounts, 5 of them set up on my Jolla. All are set up to check for emails every 30 minutes.

When the check time comes and there are emails in more than one account, you get something like "4 new emails" in the notifications screen (or is it called events view? I am confused with the terminology). Tapping on that opens the email client in its main screen, with the list of accounts and the summary preview. You can then go to each individual account etc.

However, when there is a new email in only one account, tapping the notification opens the client straight in that account (or, if there is just one email, it goes straight into that email). You can then go back to the main screen but once there, the email client freezes. You cannot scroll up and down or open any account, including the one you just came from. You have to close and reopen the app.

I had always assumed it was deliberate and considered it a "feature" but it seems to have gone away in Äijänpäivänjärvi.

The browser miss-clicking STILL there.
You mean the thing when you cannot hit the link after zooming, and had to do zoom&pan to be able to click a link?
That was fixed ages ago, and at least I have not noticed any regression like that?
ITYM "supposedly fixed". I still occasionally see it, albeit not that much now as I hardly ever use the stock browser. It happens about 100 times less frequently as in the early releases, but when it does, it does not miss the spot by a few millimeters but by half the screen.

This has definitely been mentioned and acknowledged after 1.1.2.x, with the finger pointed at the upstream engine.

The vkb intermittently not popping up on webforms STILL there.
Is TMO specific enough? It happens to me all the time. But there is usually a simple workaround. Just tap anywhere outside the form and then back in and the VKB usually pops up again.

Too much usability crap for my taste in this mobile, they're loosing the game.
I would not put it so eloquently but the sad truth is that they are losing the game. Usability issues, missing or incomplete features... stuff that die-hard fans or hackers who are used to half-baked solutions can turn the blind eye on but ordinary users expect to Just Work™.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Is TMO specific enough? It happens to me all the time. But there is usually a simple workaround. Just tap anywhere outside the form and then back in and the VKB usually pops up again.
This is a pretty annoying bug, I do confirm, it appears pretty often.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden

I am going to try be more clear, I wrote the previous post on my mobile. Even though the TJC bugs/questions filed many releases ago are quite clear.

WHEN it happens, that the email client freeze on the page where you choose either a mail account to go into or any recent mail, it always seems to happen when you have read some incoming mail in one of the accounts (automatically coming there from the notification page). Moving up from the specifc mail to the main page and then it has freezed, obviously the client is alive process wise and doesn't spin, but the icons are somehow made static now. I have one google mail account, two exchange accounts and an IMAP account hosted on my own server.
I can't say it happens on a specific account type (or not), it simply happens now and then and only thing is to close the client and restart it.

The miss click of the browser, yes it has lessened and it seems to be related to zooming. but it is definitely still there. Why it is so irritating is because it can have disastrous results, loosing information in typed forms when the intention was to move the cursor (caret), but instead some link would move it to some other page. It happens often enough to be more than a slight nuisance.
Typically when you edit text, you DO zoom into the page, that's why it seems more likely to happen then.

I can't pinpoint what really happens with the vkb, when it suddenly refuses to pop back up in some forms (even if it has been there and then minimized, maybe even due to the prior click-miss bug. Sometimes it doesn't even help to click outside of a form and then inside it, it just sits there. It CAN be brought back in but just with some random clicking here and there. It's bad and its definitely still there.

There are many other things, small, but irritating usability issues, like the display sometimes refusing to come back on when double tapping. What is it DOING when that happens? I can never pointpoint it and it isn't necessarily when it is loaded CPU wise. There's probably some daemon handling this, and maybe it doesn't get any scheduling or somehing.

So if Jolla are so eager about getting the platform supported and popular by developers and companies, why ever didn't the paid apps support reach the store? I love FOSS apps, but we can probably all admit that Jolla will never get any real attention unless there is native commercial support.

Why no .ics calendar files support?

Small things but hugely irritating.

Last edited by Larswad; 2015-04-29 at 11:54.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Small things but hugely irritating.
That was my point a few months back. As a non techy/hacking user I just find the Jolla too buggy and the lack of proper Google Play appstore means relying on other appstores i would rather avoid, or just miss out.

Here is what convinced me to place my Jolla back in its box
Originally Posted by *****
You are clearly thinking in the wrong dimesnions. SailfishOS can never compete with Android or iOS, or even Windows phone / BBOS for years. They are serving a small niche that want something different and not the same stuff as all others do. That niche seems to grow a bit lately, as people get bored with same stuff in different clothes since years.

This is a small 120+ people company doing an OS, phone and tablet, marketing, sales, lawyers, etc. It's insane if you ever compare it to other big grown OS'es with multi national corporations behind them and hundreds of smaller companys supporting them / codeveloping.
Thank you. With that post you have convinced me, and probably a few other non developer/technical users, that we are clearly in the wrong place.

To which my answer was:-

I had hopes and expectations which you have well and truly crushed. I am unworthy to drink at the Jolla alter as I am not technical enough and will return to the product for the masses.

I will take away with me a fantastic couple days in Helsinki, some great people who made owning an N9 and N900 such a great club and the realisation that I should not mess with small start ups.

Shame nothing has changed still and OS2.0 is as far out as ever. Lots was promised at the launch and thereafter, little has appeared. The commercial tie ups have amounted to nothing and native apps from those tie ups never appeared. Jolla have gone silent on twitter too

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
bockersjv: I agree with everything you say, and yet still I'm a more technical user and find it being too buggy and housing too much usability issues.

The Other Half was just vapor from Jolla's own account and basic things like battery always out of stock in the shop.

Still, I have it as my main phone. But once some alternative shows up that seems powerful enough It's bye goner.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
@bockersjv
to be honest, i can't really follow you. Not that I don't understand that some people think the Jolla phone isn't made for the masses, because there are still some things, which don't work like they expect.
But if you were happy with the N900 i can't understand that point. There were so many things where you had to use workarounds for proper functionality on the N900 (The great thing was, that there were so many possibilities to do a workaround), that I don't understand you when you rail at Jolla.

And for the Twitter thing:
Better they do programming and developing than feeding the Twitter-Feeds. Especially when there isn't much to report.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
@Larswad
I definitely agree with the battery disaster despite the fact I got a spare battery.
And I can't understand why there is still no support for paid apps in the store.

All other things I can understand or accept, even when they are sometimes really annoying.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Then, there is one other thing also: Even though myself and my wife didn't buy the Jolla mainly for the Android thing, it was a plus for doing the stuff that Jolla wouldn't yet be able to do in its childhood.

BUT, the Android alien dalvik seems to get kind of limited access to the hardware, or maybe some kind of emulated exposure of it. Because it can't browse networks (wifi hardware), it can't use the bluetooth in a way that it supports sports/health bracelets or other accessories like car diagnostics that require special profiles for serial ports etc.
So, even if the reasons to that might be explainable, like reasons of development limitations and architecture limitations and what not, it still gives a feeling of being completely fenced off from things that a regular android phone would handle. And without paid apps support, its kind of far fetched to expect any larger companies to jump on the native train.

"Sorry honey, it's a Jolla you remember? That thing you'd want is a no go, but don't cry baby, you can get another color of your other half!"
"??? uhm, yay!"

The question is, what customers is it REALLY aiming for? It's half assed in any customer profile.

Last edited by Larswad; 2015-04-29 at 13:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
@ Larswad
It's like I said, annoying things but I can live with that. A new OS isn't created in one day. So buying a device with a clomplete new OS from a small company means patience and of course some pain

But if you want to have an alternative OS on the market you have to go that way. Because if everybody thinks I want this and I want that and I want it now. There will never be an alternative. Even huge companies struggled on that. Look at Bada and Tizen and WebOS.

I'm willing to go that way and until now I'm not unhappy with my Jolla: No walled garden, I can decide what's on my phone and what not. No flood of advertisements. And a Team which is listening (No they can't make every wish come true, otherwise they would be bankrupt or God).
And be assured, I use it as my main phone.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post: