I am trying to find the differences between the two toolchains (MADDE vs Scratchbox)? can someone list them? Thanks

Scratchbox:
  • works only on Linux
  • needs a Virtual Machine with Linux on it if you want to develop on other host OSes
  • brings an N900 emulator (even though people are quick to point out that it's not really an emulator...)
  • lets you do "more".

MADDE:
  • is cross-platform (Windows/Mac/Linux)
  • is easy to install and setup
  • is just an ARM cross compiler
  • does not support Qt 4.6 development yet
  • needs an actual device for application testing

Personally, I highly prefer MADDE because having to work with a 2nd OS in a VM is just a pain in the butt (especially on OS X wrt. CMD and Ctrl keys...). If MADDE suits your needs i suggest you try it out. It even generates a nice debian/ directory for you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjaensch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ireland
I'm not 100% au fait with the differences, but I wasted days of my life trying to get scratchbox working in a VM on my windows based machine...and failed.

Madde worked out of the box and I have now managed to write a few working apps with it.

I'd highly recommend Madde if it works for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to shep For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
If you want Qt 4.6 with madde : http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009...s-on-mac-os-x/

The Following User Says Thank You to ravioli156 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the replies. I will need Qt later on but for now it is a command line app. I don't mind using VM but my main concern is which one allows you to cross compile the whole package in a couple of hours. My package uses the usual configure/Make files but has many dependencies not included in Maemo repositories.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Montpellier, France
So the easiest is to use madde.
Very easy to configure dependencies

Originally Posted by ravioli156 View Post
So the easiest is to use madde.
Very easy to configure dependencies
And now with an update Check this and this )

Daniel

But MADDE is mostly targeted for Maemo 5 and I am using a N810 device with Maemo 4.1 Diablo...I am using Linux so I don't have a problem with running scratchbox but it has given me a lot of issues. If MADDE can cross-compile for Maemo 4.1 then I throw scratchbox in front of a coming truck.

Originally Posted by Zylonite View Post
But MADDE is mostly targeted for Maemo 5 and I am using a N810 device with Maemo 4.1 Diablo...I am using Linux so I don't have a problem with running scratchbox but it has given me a lot of issues. If MADDE can cross-compile for Maemo 4.1 then I throw scratchbox in front of a coming truck.
If you have the latest MADDE installation and type:

mad list

then you should see:

maemo412-1 (installable)

now try:

mad-admin create maemo412-1

This should create the requested target for you. It might be that you have to fetch some data, but please just follow the instructions and it should work for diablo as well.

Cheers Daniel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
I'm a bit confused and my apology for this question being bit off topic but I've scratchbox installed and recently updated and upgraded but the "dpkg -l | grep libqt*" cmd shows 4.5.3~git20090723-0maemo6+0m5 and in some sites it states that to get Qt 4.6 I need to enable extras-devel repo and do fakeroot apt-get install libqt4-maemo5-dev so I tried this both on scratchbox and my n900 as I wasn't sure where to install it but couldn't install on any and get dependencies/uninstallable problem. So I would be glad to get some help/suggestions. thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post: