What about O/S updates?
I've considered the E7 a couple of times over the past few weeks, BUT and that's a big but, being primarily a network locked device, how often will updates be available.
We know Nokia can be a bit lax, but IMO the networks can be far worse, as they like to block/delay O/S updates. In this case for some E7 owners they won't be seeing Symbian Anna or Symbian Belle.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
Now, may I ask, of the things that matter to me:
Let me say right here, you're going to hear a lot of I "don't know"s. It's a new OS, an even newer phone, and somewhat expensive. Not many people have tried what you ask.

- How is multitask compared between the two? How many windows can I open of different programs? Can they keep working in background?

I opened 10, no major issues. Not all DO something in the background, e.g. Contacts just sits there. I added some info on the post above, did you go though it, or just the main post(s)?

- How does the usb host connection works? How fast the transfer is, and how big the files you tried? What are the things it can recognize(cameras, mouses, etc) while at it?

USB OTG is not something I played with yet (no cable at hand). It does have a 2.0 USB, and PC-to-phone flies, so it's not a limit there (feels faster than N900). Don't know what it recognizes, But Google seems to suggest there are several videos of people using MS Mouse, HP mouse, pen drives and the like. "E7 USB OTG" seems to be a mine of information. Also try N8, it's similar hardware and same OS.

- Can you download and play flv videos from youtube?
It can download - at least by using sites if not directly. I assume they play if added to the disk. FLV is listed as supported format, so I'm going to go and say yes.

Can you edit the keyboard layout?
- Not that I can tell. Not that I ever wondered, though. It works fine in En and Ro (RO has diacritics). Never wanted to remap keys, it simply types ă by holding A or (in T9) by cycling on "2". A > Ă > B > C. Whatever signs are not on keyboard are in the sym window that pops when sym (dedicated) button is pressed.

- How many hours does it work while on max light and playing some n64 game(or something like that for that matter)?

I played games for quite a while, but never full-to-empty on a single game to test (I only have 2 days with it). But it beats N900, that's for sure. Similar games on N900 and E7, same play pattern (2h-ish), depleted N900 from 97% to about 55. E7 still claimed 70+

What I can tell you is that with same usage pattern N900 started evening with 97, got down to 86 in the morning and, doing what I do, it barely made it home at 6 PM, beeping or in the low 10%. E7 gets home with 50-70%

- Does it have any program that emulates a terminal? Can I easily make scripts (of any kind) that can be run by it?

None by default. Didn't ask for one because I never needed it. N900 does. There is no apt, no need to parse files, and no CLI compiler. If there is one (program that does terminal), you'll also need the CLI tools ported.

However, as I understand it, it's not hard to do (port them).

- Does it have any form of game gripper?
I don't know. All games that are button-like take advantage of multitouch to do their thing. Some do it well, in the sense that it has a 360 joy by dragging, with 2 stages of pointing (walk, run), that seems superior to normal game hardware.

I am not a gamer, though, so I'm not used to buttons, thus more flexible. All games I tried thus far make use of touch and accelerometer.

As for your question, it's an accessory question. I just have the phone.

- Can I connect my ps3 control to the e7? Can I use it to play games?
How the he... Look, I don't know, I don't have a PS3, nor any other console. I do my gaming on the PC. I don't even know why you would want to use a PS3 to control an E7.

Do you mean a PS3 controller? If so, your issue is most likely software (If PS3 controllers use USB). In which case, ask for one or write one yourself.

- Can I multiboot it to something else? Or load anything else on it for that matter?
None has tried, it's a new phone. It was released in Feb 2011 in select countries. Mine has PR 1.1, compiled Mard 1st, and it came with it, so it's likely it only reached a wider market in April or even May. It's just new.

However, Meego has a shot, as there are people porting it to 10 other phones. Android is a possibility, it also runs on a lot of devices.

Still, may I ask: If you want an Android phone, why buy Symbian and ask for port? Buy an Android. They may even be cheaper. Though AFAICT, Symbian has way cooler games.

- How do you deal with the grease of the fingers?
It's pretty resilient to grease. Not immune, but resilient enough to be used for quite a while before the image is affected. Under normal (non-gaming) operation, just putting it away in pocket resets it.

When it starts to be visible, I usually left-right wipe with the bottom of my hand, it takes 300 ms and might not register. For image display, where everything matters, I swipe the screen on my shirt, it usually clears it right up.

Don't carry any special cleaning rags or anything, just standard, honest, automatic wipe-on-shirt motion seems to do fine.

It is less gathering of oil than N900 because the screen is brighter and it punches through better - also, no scratches to gather. It's not paradise, but you asked.

It might be of use to know I typically have dry skin. Also, because it requires a very light touch, it doesn't leave as much as other phones, like the Optimus that needed wiping every minute.

Also, darker themes help.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
What about O/S updates?
I've considered the E7 a couple of times over the past few weeks, BUT and that's a big but, being primarily a network locked device, how often will updates be available.
We know Nokia can be a bit lax, but IMO the networks can be far worse, as they like to block/delay O/S updates. In this case for some E7 owners they won't be seeing Symbian Anna or Symbian Belle.
OS updates aren't block-delivered, like N900. I already have PR 1.1, through dedicated software update app, that already delivered 5 updates, a la Windows Update. New maps, a few addons, Microsoft Communicator.

Also, don't get a network locked version. Mine's open, from Nokia. I have never owned a locked phone, or a custom firmware.

It's possible the new S^4 could be delivered to E7, but I don't have that information.

Remember, N900 was one OS, one device. Symbian spans across tens of devices that are supported, and S^3 may be new, but it already covers 3-4 devices and is spreading fast. Old Symbian has no multitouch, so that's over.

I remember reading S4 was designed to take over S3 in all devices, released included. But as you well know, Nokia can do 180 with no warning.

No bugs thus far, though, it's not like N900, where updates were sorely needed (locked-on wifi, stuttering phone/audio, etc).

I have had map app updates, map updates, new apps and I understand a new version of QT was released after launch (mine was embedded). So, it seems to be doing smooth.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
@ NDI, lovely boy

How much onboard storage does it have?

How big a Micro SD card can it take?

How much RAM does it have?

Does it have a BitTorrent client?

Argh, I have so many questions as I've never looked at these phones up close.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-07-10 at 02:39.

Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
@ NDI, lovely boy
-How much onboard storage does it have?
16G user, another 300M or so on-phone. Don't use phone memory save for (likely) small and fast storage. I think it uses it for swap when sending, so, keep it free. Can tell some apps to use one or the other, maybe the on-board can be swapped with a screwdriver. so phone can serve as backup location.

-How big a Micro SD card can it take?
Doesn't take one. You;ll have to rely on on-board storage or use a stick. I know it's not the same.

-How much RAM does it have?
256, like N900, but the OS is way smaller and apps are also optimized. Seems to be generally slimmer and didn't feel it swapping, even when playing big games, like HAWX or Assassin's Creed.

-Argh, I have so many questions as I've never looked at these phones up close.

Feel free to ask.

---------------

Oh, one more thing I forgot to add to the review:

E7 has over-the-air, OVI backup so you can back up with no card or PC suite. Also, it has a schedule so it can be synced automatically. How cool is that

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
wow, great review. E7 sounds like a great phone. shame I want a computer! would be a great phone for the missus though!!

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Holy cowpats!

Erm, 16GB storage.

The same as what I had in my N95 like 4 years ago. I have 18GB worth of music on this 48GB phone that I'm typing on now, soon to be expanded to 64GB!

I'd have to chop off at least 2GB of my music collection to fit it on E7 and still have no room for Apps etc.

At least it can backup a Calendar with rubbishy OVI Suite though eh?

Yeah, I think I'll pass.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-07-10 at 03:40.

come on guys, dont butcher the poor chap...

This community is like a bunch of islamist mullahs pouncing upon a woman who doesnt wear hijab, or a bunch of dark age christian priests pouncing on galileo...

appreciate if you can be tolerant of other ideas, and appreciate the plus points instead of just striking them down... otherwise there is no difference between idiots like you and the closed-minded-mullahs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IcyMoustache For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have almost no music on my N900, so the E7 has plenty of storage for me. I've never understood how people who pretend to be music or movie fans are so intent on playing them on miniscule devices that obviously can't do the media justice anyway.

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
@ndi: 1.) I only use ham for updates when the little yellow notification shows up and that's fairly quick. otherwise I prefer to search and install apps from command line and that is way faster then the ovi store app on any symbian. FAM I never tried, not interested. I hate when I have to install anything on my mum's phone(X6) I have to update the ovi app, might as well just use it from the browser like on the N900, it would be faster even like that. Please confirm that on the E7 you don't have to update it very frequently.

2.) Photo editing is possible on the N900, but both methods(ansela, gimp) I know are a bit slow. So you got a point there, though your first post said it can't be done on the N900. Can't find it now maybe you have editited it out.

I have also played around with a few symbian phones. X3 and 6 are awful(I mean the UI) N8 and E6 are quite nice, but I still like the N900 UI much more. N8 camera is the best I've seen on a mobile phone. Great pictures daytime, nighttime with flash or without.

Nice review, but keep in mind that N900 HW/SW are very old. I agree on the phone functions as well though M5 is not a phone SW it's a tablet SW with added phone functionality(u can get the same thing by installing a (phone) modem to your desktop and hooking it up to the hard line(minus the mobility)). Yet you wouldn't compare your PC to your home tel, would ya? It's just my opinion, but I understand that you had to include it in you review. Much appriciated.

Last edited by fasza2; 2011-07-10 at 04:24.

Tags
16gb storage, e7-00, nokiae7, review