Active Topics

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Hello,

Yesterday I was running two simples tasks, browsing the web and downloading 2 torrent files (using transmission) and my N900 just dead locked. I was responseless on the device for several minutes but noticed it was online, so I ssh'ed to it and noticed browserd and hildon-desktop were both sharing all my available CPU.

I decided to killall -9 browserd and the system crashed after that.

After starting N900 again hildon-desktop was again using all available CPU. browserd was not...

I restarted the system several times and nothing changed.

Now what I have is an N900 device using all available CPU and therefore running quickly out of battery. hildon-desktop process is the one eating all available CPU.

Something seems to be looping. After restart what I have is:

- Desktop wallpapers, get loaded, contact and website desktop shortcuts get loaded correctly.
- No application shortcut gets loaded.
- No widget gets loaded.
- If I click on the engine button to activate desktop-edit mode, the menu bar is just dead. Clicking it is non-responding.

It really seems that hildon-desktop is looping while loading a widget or something else.

So, I decided to ask here, where do I find hildon-desktop configuration files? Which other files, if corrumpted, would lead to such a behavior?

Since the device is mostly "frozen" 'cos of the high load averages and high CPU usage, how can I disabled widgets from the command line?

Is there anything else other than what I am intending to (finding out corrupted conf files and disabling widgets) I can try before reflashing?

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by 0xffa View Post

Is there anything else other than what I am intending to (finding out corrupted conf files and disabling widgets) I can try before reflashing?
In /home/user/.config/hildon-desktop/home.plugins
are your currently used widgets. You may try to remove
entries in this file and than restart hildon-home (or just reboot).

hope this helps

nicolai

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Seriously, I remember seeing about 10 threads for the same issue and I can recall myself answering about 5 of them individually.

Could you please use the search function the next time you use these forums?

BTW, an easy solution would be a backup and a quick reflash.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
I read most of them as well.
And even if he use the search function, I think it could be hard to
distinguish all those entries where users resolved the problem
by rebooting the device, from those where even rebooting
didn't helped.

nicolai

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Thank you Nicolai for the kind and helpful reply.

Venemo, I did search. In fact I searched and before I post the CMS engines does a search itself and I have read all 6 posts it found, none of which was related to my problem. I believe this is a recurring problem but the search engine didnt help much.

A follow-up.

I edited the file Nicolai has mentioned and removed all widget. Everything worked just fine after that. I re-enabled the widgets one by one and just found out its the RSS widget which is looping.

If I try to launch the RSS from the menu other than the Widget it fails the same way, 100% CPU for the hildon-desktop and loops forever making my N900 device unsable. So I can not reconfigure the RSS because the device just freezes, lock deads after I launch RSS.

I will investigate how to remove the RSS feeds from the command line, I believe its one of the many feeds which is making the RSS app goes nuts.

I will update this post after I fix it, so it gets to be useful to someone else in the future, just in case the search engine happens to find my post to someone interested.

Since Maemo is based on open source and is certainly openly compreensible probaby anything can be fixed without reflashing

Even if one has to recover a copy of a givem conf file from another running maemo device.

thanks again

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0xffa For This Useful Post:
OK, this morning I had the time to SSH into my phone and understand how the osso-rss-reader works. Just found out the app was getting nuts when processing the cache.

I completely removed my cache:

Nokia-N900-42-11:/home/user/.osso_rss_feed_reader# rm -rf cache/*

And everything just works again, RSS app as well as the RSS widget.

Everything is running again and load average is below 0.5:

Nokia-N900-42-11:/home/user/.osso_rss_feed_reader# uptime
11:12:17 up 2 days, 10:35, load average: 0.15, 0.44, 0.33

So, for future references, if you RSS reader goes crazy, start by removing its cache.

BTW I had around 90 RSS feeds in place. Removed some, before deciding to remove the cache. I had some thoughts on which RSS could be leading to problems, so I had to remove 'em. Didnt fix untill I cleared the cache, anyway...

If you still have problems after removing the cache/ contents you may try to edit /home/user/.osso_rss_feed_reader/feedlist.opml and remove some feeds, which may also cause high load.

A feed entry is within the <outline> tag, for example:

<outline text="Historico FUG-BR" title="Historico FUG-BR" description="Historico FUG-BR" type="rss" htmlUrl="http://www.fug.com.br/historico/html/freebsd/" xmlUrl="http://www.fug.com.br/fug_hist_rss.xml" updateInterval="-1" id="jileean" lastPollTime="1277993344" sortColumn="time"/>

Thats it.

Thanks again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 0xffa For This Useful Post:
hay brother plz help me..my phones N900..showing CPU usage 100%......plz help me..

plz help me guys..............i need a help....my phones N900..showing CPU usage 100%......plz help me.

plz help me guysssssssssssssssss

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Why dont you restart!

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Tags
crash, hildon-desktop, widgets