Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Does anybody know why evolution data server was dropped in Fremantle (according to the roadmap, it's really out, not just one of those "not yet included in the alpha"s)? And, more important: What will replace it?

I thought EDS was cool because in was so desktop-like which probably helped applications like syncevolution.

Is there a similar technology out there that will act as a common backend for all for contacts/dates/... in Maemo5?

Or does the end of EDS also mean the end of all hopes for any kind of decent PIM functionality?

Last edited by benny1967; 2009-02-27 at 12:10.

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
I would be interested in that too. I thought I'll do some syncml work for Fremantle but couldn't find any info on what the replacement for EDS should be

Worst thing that could happen is that they come up with some closed-source, incompatible-to-everything PIM stuff that does shine and work out of the box, but throws us back to the early "give us the source"-days.

And you know what? Nobody could complain. All the years since the release of the 770 proved that the community wasn't able to come up with a decent solution based on the open framework they'd given us to play with. It would be hard to convince them that now we need something open because this timewe want to do it right.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Probably it is replaced with OpenSync or something.

Wouldn't opensync provide a functionality completely different from EDS? AFAIK, it's only the synch-framework; I guess you'd still need something to call when you access PIM data locally for every day display/edit/search-functionality. This certainly shouldn't be something tied to one single application: The backend must be available to all applications on the device and should be well-supported with existing applications...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
What will replace it?
The only related item I know is coming is a RFC 2445 compliant calendar engine.

Right! I'd completely forgotten about that.... That was one of the first news we had about Fremantle. (It's probably hephaestus, isn't it?)
But that's calendar only. EDS is one backend for *all* PIM data. Standalone applications can connect to it to do whatever they want, including syncing.

I don't know... something makes me worry. I just can't put my finger stylus on it.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I'm being told that we are still keeping EDS in Fremantle.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
I'm being told that we are still keeping EDS in Fremantle.
Thank you for this information. Is the statement, "Evolution-data-server dropped", a simple error on the roadmap page then?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Not an error since that was the initial plan, but somehow it got back to the release. I couldn't find more details today, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: