Active Topics

I have used many years Gmail with N900 without problems, but last June (about 23..28th of June) I could not send messages nor receive messages any more. The problem disappeared by itself on 28th of June, but it re-appeared on 7th of July. After that I have not been able to send nor receive Gmail emails.

I have the same messages in Modest debugging log:

Code:
CamelException.setv(0x4459ad68, 307, 'Server unexpectedly disconnected: Input/output error')
CamelException.setv(0x4459ad68, 309, 'Failed to connect to IMAP server imap.gmail.com: Reading IMAP greeting failed')
However, I can send and receive emails with the Claws email client, which is available in the extras-devel repository. But the user interface in Modest is much better than that of Claws, so I would like to get Modest working again.

I wonder whether the problems with the Modest email client are caused by this change in Gmail:

http://googleappsupdates.blogspot.fi...d-rc4-for.html

Any ideas?

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
What is your setting in modest?
ssl on port 993?

But more important question:
are you on CSSU? Which version? And which version is modest, resp. libtinymail?

See also.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2016-08-06 at 18:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
After the problem started, I have played with my acount settings in Modest. I have tried to re-create the account, but no luck. Currently I have the following settings:

Incoming:
server imap.gmail.com
Secure authentication ticked
Secure connection SSL (IMAP4S)
Port 993

Outgoing:
server smtp.gmail.com
Secure authentication: Login
Secure connection SSL
Port 465

I'm not using CSSU. I have updated my N900 regularly from the standard repositories since I got the phone in February 2012.

I have Modest version 3.4.8+0m5 and libtinymail 1.1.92+0m5

Settings are okay (using the same).

And please follow above linked thread where in first post my solution for non-CSSU people is linked.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Thanks for your help - but unfortunately it did not help. I followed the instructions (extracting the files from the two tar.gz archives in the / directory) and I even rebooted the N900, but I still can't send nor receive Gmail messages.

However, I can receive messages from a non-Gmail account.

I took a backup before I extracted those files, and now when I checked the backup I can see that I already had those files! So I have followed your advice earlier when I had problems with Gmail.

The problem that I have now is a new one, and it started in June.

Hmm?

It should work, as it does here.
Another guess: double layer security switched on? (settings inside google account)
Else I do not know, sorry.

I have not made any changes in Google accounts. And as I wrote before, Gmail stopped working in June for a dew days, then it started working again by itself, until it broke again on around 7th of July. I had not changed anything when all of that happened.

And I can use Gmail on my N900 with Claws email client. And I can use Gmail on my PC using Thunderbird.

Am I the only one having trouble sending and receiving Gmail messages on N900?

What about number of messages in my Gmail account? I have cleaned up my Inbox but the "All mail" tag keeps growing...

I haven't been having any problems since the ones that prompted me to start this thread, and which were solved as explained in comment 9...

FWIW, I don't have the "Secure authentication" checkbox marked (I think it doesn't actually matter for gmail, authentication happens after the SSL connection is created?); and (unrelated) I *do* use two-factor authentication, with an application-specific password for modest.

My account is set up in modest with gmail as the provider (as opposed to a generic account with the gmail setting manually created), so choosing port 993, for example, is grayed out. Are you using a generic account which just happens to have the gmail settings, or is the account actually set up with gmail as the provider?

(I don't know of any of this matters, just trying to figure out what could be different in our setups...).

How about outgoing email via Gmail (smtp.gmail.com) -- is that working for you? If not, how is it failing?

I have attached a log which I created with the following command:

CAMEL_DEBUG=all /usr/bin/maemo-summoner /usr/bin/modest.launch -s > modest.txt 2>&1

I have two email accounts, so please ignore references to NIC and saunalahti.fi in the log.

I have created my Gmail account so that I selected Gmail as the provider, so I had the port 993 grayed as well.

I'm not using two-factor authentication.

I tried to change my user name so that it includes @gmail.com and so that it is omitted - it did not affect the problem. I even deleted my Gmail account and re-created it, but still no change.

Outgoing mail (smtp) is failing as well. I don't know which messages in the log file refer to incoming (IMAP) and outgoing (SMTP) traffic.

Regarding certificates: when running command "nsscfg -c /home/user/.modest/cache -i" it shows information about libmaemosec_certman as described in bug 9262 on bugs.maemo.org.
Attached Files
File Type: txt modest.txt (6.7 KB, 158 views)