Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-...-_b_57748.html

I thought it was an amusing article.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
A friend of mine has an iPhone and he's a self-confessed Apple fanboi (so much so he's on first name terms with the workers in the NYC Apple store and has pretty much one of everything that Apple sell!)

So you can imagine how surprised I was to find he's slamming his iPhone... call quality is crap (audio has a distinctive echo, something to do with the earpiece being too close to the microphone), the battery lasts less than a day, it has no Bluetooth stereo support (just microphone) and it won't even sync over Bluetooth. Maybe the Bluetooth omissions can be corrected in later software updates, but the current iPhone has left him pining for his old Treo.

Something tells me that the hype is now beginning to die down, and people are seeing the iPhone for what it is - a pretty poor mobile/cellular phone with iPod functionality and a 2-year lock-in but a great UI. However the great UI can't make up for lousy call quality or a battery that doesn't see you through a full day without a charge.

The iPhone is certainly not anything to worry the likes of Nokia/SonyEricsson/Samsung, and certainly not good enough to succeed in Europe without a major specification overhaul.

While he has some valid concerns, I think the battery life one smacks of a bad battery because Apple tend to underplay the battery life of their devices.

But when an article includes this sentence "I had to tell you in this way that your keys are too sensitive, that I tried to use you while driving and almost killed myself because I had to look down to use your "intuitive" keyboard." I begin to question the sanity of the writer

I've read a lot of iPhone reviews and blogs and have played with one on several occasions.

Here are my thoughts on its flaws:

http://deliverator.silverfir.net/?p=466

and here are some thoughts on my shiny new Nokia N95:

http://deliverator.silverfir.net/?p=469

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I've read a lot of iPhone reviews and blogs and have played with one on several occasions.

Here are my thoughts on its flaws:

http://deliverator.silverfir.net/?p=466
Was there anything you liked about it?

and here are some thoughts on my shiny new Nokia N95:

http://deliverator.silverfir.net/?p=469
Some reviews I've read suggest the N95 is rather expensive, slow and has poor battery life. Have you found that to be the case?

Personally, having used an N70 I think Series 60 is an invention of Satan, though it's less horrible on the N95 (I played with a friend's for a few minutes and it's definitely better than it was) and some of that had to do with the crap Orange overlaid on it. But having to keep the store of called and dialed numbers to less than 10 or it failed to pickup really put me off smart phones and I now use an SE k800i.

Originally Posted by andymulhearn View Post
Was there anything you liked about it?

Some reviews I've read suggest the N95 is rather expensive, slow and has poor battery life. Have you found that to be the case?

Personally, having used an N70 I think Series 60 is an invention of Satan, though it's less horrible on the N95 (I played with a friend's for a few minutes and it's definitely better than it was) and some of that had to do with the crap Orange overlaid on it. But having to keep the store of called and dialed numbers to less than 10 or it failed to pickup really put me off smart phones and I now use an SE k800i.
Yes, there are a lot of things I like about the iPhone. It substantially raises the bar for UI fluidity and out of the box intuitiveness. I just happen to think that all its shortcomings make it a device I don't need to own.

Some reviews suggest the N95 is expensive? The N95 is $650-750. That it is expensive is self obvious, but for some people expense is not a significant consideration and only functionality and other concerns need be weighed. I have found the device UI to be quite quick and responsive at pretty much every task save picture taking. It takes 3-6 seconds after taking an image to cycle through and be ready to take another image. The battery life depends greatly on how you are using it. If you are listening to mp3's, taking pictures, using Bluetooth and Wifi all the time and using the GPS, it is going to suck a lot more power than if you just use the phone as...a phone. I do a fair amount of all of the above (except GPS use, really) during the day and find that putting it on the charger at night before I go to bed is usually enough to get me through the next day. I would have prefered they make the device a little larger to accommodate a beefier battery and a SDHC card slot instead of the Micro SD slot , but you can't have everything I guess.

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Yes, there are a lot of things I like about the iPhone. It substantially raises the bar for UI fluidity and out of the box intuitiveness.
That's my feeling. Apple has just given the whole smart phone industry a wake up call when it comes to integration.
I just happen to think that all its shortcomings make it a device I don't need to own.
Reasonable. I just happen to think completely the reverse
Some reviews suggest the N95 is expensive? The N95 is $650-750. That it is expensive is self obvious, but for some people expense is not a significant consideration and only functionality and other concerns need be weighed.
That's interesting because it seems to be more expensive than the iPhone. I suppose it's only expensive if you don't feel the product is worth the price.
I have found the device UI to be quite quick and responsive at pretty much every task save picture taking. It takes 3-6 seconds after taking an image to cycle through and be ready to take another image.
That tends to be a general problem of large pixel count cameras though, needing to transfer a lot of data from the camera chip to some form of internal memory is never going to be quick.
The battery life depends greatly on how you are using it. If you are listening to mp3's, taking pictures, using Bluetooth and Wifi all the time and using the GPS, it is going to suck a lot more power than if you just use the phone as...a phone.
And the same would be true of the iPhone?
I do a fair amount of all of the above (except GPS use, really) during the day and find that putting it on the charger at night before I go to bed is usually enough to get me through the next day.
My K800i will do around 4 days before needing to be recharged but then I don't do anything with it other than a little 3g web access and calls and texts.
I would have prefered they make the device a little larger to accommodate a beefier battery and a SDHC card slot instead of the Micro SD slot , but you can't have everything I guess.
Micro SD's a dumb idea to me when SD is racing off into the distance in terms of storage. How long will be before you can run a laptop device on two or more 64gig SD cards in some form of raid configuration?

What the heck is so special about the I-Phone?

My HCT/Telecom MDA Compact III has a touchscreen just as well, HAS Bluetooth, build-in GPS, a UI that my 69 year old father understands easily (Press green phone, touch dial, speak, press red phone) AND can install additonal software. It plays MP3 too.

And that is a small one (less than 150€ with a Telecom Contract), the Bigger MDA's have more capacities.

So except the name of a company that gives HP a run for the High Prices, what is the great thing on an iPhone?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
While he has some valid concerns, I think the battery life one smacks of a bad battery because Apple tend to underplay the battery life of their devices.

But when an article includes this sentence "I had to tell you in this way that your keys are too sensitive, that I tried to use you while driving and almost killed myself because I had to look down to use your "intuitive" keyboard." I begin to question the sanity of the writer
LOL... I honed in on that one, too, andy. Personally I would have edited that bit of embarassing foolishness out of the article...

But having to keep the store of called and dialed numbers to less than 10 or it failed to pickup really put me off smart phones and I now use an SE k800i.
!!!

I was having a bizarre problem with my N75 where sometimes an incoming call caused a phone icon to flash on the screen and I couldn't answer. No one could tell me what was going on... now you have me wondering. I put the N75 aside due to that problem but I'm gonna try it out again and pay attention to that.. thanks!

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-07-30 at 17:25.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I was having a bizarre problem with my N75 where sometimes an incoming call caused a phone icon to flash on the screen and I couldn't answer. No one could tell me what was going on... now you have me wondering. I put the N75 aside due to that problem but I'm gonna try it out again and pay attention to that.. thanks!
It may be part of the problem. I had loads of issues with my N70 - whitescreens, switching off during calls and not ringing, just telling me there was a missed call when I had full signal.

One of the worst problems was when I'd start a call and put my handset to my ear, wait for a few seconds only to look at the handset to see it had aborted the call without bothering to tell me - no hangup tone or anything.

I was very disappointed with it and have sworn off all Nokia handsets since, smartphone or not.