Notices

R is a state-of-the art system for statistical computing. I note that it is now in extras-devel but with an indication of missing components.
If anyone has downloaded r-base-core and used it, the community would appreciate any comments regarding downloading and the risks involved. (Is libprint-utils an insuperable problem?)

Thanks

P.S. It is being worked on -- I just have to wait. See
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Tanner
and wish him well.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
It's easy - easier than learning r (or any other stat package)!
In your lxde menu you are going to find the "synaptic" program, that is a package manager, which installs or deletes specific packages and their software dependencies.
You first update its software catalog by pushing its first button "reload" (should be like that, I have the Italian version so in English it might be different).
After a longish update, click the rightgmost button "search" (or "find"?) and look for r-base.
When found, click on the little square near its name and select "install package" or some similar command.
Then, resorting to the button bar, push "commit changes" (or "apply" the equivalent command), then probably OK again, then your package will be downloaded from the internet and installed.
You already know r starts from a terminal window, I'm sure you do.

Well, let me know how it goes. You could do everything from the command line, too, but maybe synaptic is easier and can show you the thousands of available packages!

Last edited by statwrangler; 2010-02-08 at 13:40. Reason: sp, located wiki item

The Following User Says Thank You to statwrangler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Dec 2009 @ NE-Scotland
Originally Posted by statwrangler View Post
R is a state-of-the art system for statistical computing. I note that it is now in extras-devel but with an indication of missing components.
If anyone has downloaded r-base-core and used it, the community would appreciate any comments regarding downloading and the risks involved. (Is libprint-utils an insuperable problem?)

Thanks

P.S. It is being worked on -- I just have to wait. See
http://wiki.maemo.org/User:Tanner
and wish him well.
I used R in the easy-debian enviroment. it is very slow, but it is working. For small plots or similar elaborations is fine.
It is working very well with the emacs-ESS package.

The Following User Says Thank You to marmota For This Useful Post:
Posts: 76 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Pittsburgh, PA USA
First, thanks for working on this. I enabled extras devel and saw two entries: r-base and r-core-base. I was able to install r-core-base but r-base will not install whether I use the gui or apt-get. It says there are unmet dependencies (the R base libraries - the ones that are recommended are listed as broken - r-cran-boot, r-cran-cluster, etc. - 12 packages althogether). I can start R in xterm but library() shows there are no packages installed. R needs this basic packages to function.

Is there a way to fix this? It would be great to be able to run R natively on the N900 (rather than using Debian or ssh'ing to another computer.

After playing with R, I see that I do have basic functionality. For example hist, qqnorm, mean, plot etc. work. But I cannot install packages either using either R CMD INSTALL or using install.packages.

Installation is (well was, when I last looked a couple of years ago for the N800) troublesome as a compiler is required on the device. This could probably be overcome now.

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Installation is (well was, when I last looked a couple of years ago for the N800) troublesome as a compiler is required on the device. This could probably be overcome now.
I tried installing a package that requires no compilation (it's all R code). It installed some files but was not functional. I could not access or use any of the functions in the package.

I have only just installed r-base-core (n900 fremantle). My first
thought was that it is surprisingly fast to fire up (the other stats
package I could easily install was Incanter, which runs in Clojure,
and is 10-20 fold slower to load and run).

First problem I encountered was the pager was set to /usr/bin/pager so
that help() did not work: /etc/R/Renvironment needs more felicitous
choices ('more' works OK for me). The graphics demo worked beautifully,
as do a random set of example()'s I ran.

Installing R packages from source is a challenge on many platforms,
because of the toolchain required. It seems difficult to get a maemo
Fortran -- the octave port used f2c AIUI. My usual g95 does not extend to
arm, let alone armel, and I am not looking forward to making a gfortran
cross-compiler from source for my own uses. Nevertheless, at least the
recommended packages should be available as binary packages.

just 2c, David Duffy.

The Following User Says Thank You to David.Duffy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by David.Duffy View Post
First problem I encountered was the pager was set to /usr/bin/pager so
that help() did not work: /etc/R/Renvironment needs more felicitous
choices ('more' works OK for me). The graphics demo worked beautifully,
as do a random set of example()'s I ran.
This is because R assumes it's being built on the same platform as it will be run on, so yeah, you need to do some serious tweaking (and also to get the native compiler working iirc)

Installing R packages from source is a challenge on many platforms,
because of the toolchain required. It seems difficult to get a maemo
Fortran -- the octave port used f2c AIUI. My usual g95 does not extend to
arm, let alone armel, and I am not looking forward to making a gfortran
cross-compiler from source for my own uses. Nevertheless, at least the
recommended packages should be available as binary packages.

just 2c, David Duffy.
Fort77 is a script wrapper around the combination of the f2c binary and gcc, this will work on-device or in SB.

Tom Tanner has gfortran 4.4 (and gcc 4.4) packaged up at
http://n900.tannerlabs.com,
so this is what he used to make his version of R. Using this, I successfully compiled and installed R-2.12.0 along with all the recommended packages. This takes up 55 MB (including the online docs), and seems to be working fine.

Cheers, David Duffy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David.Duffy For This Useful Post:
Tom Tanner has gfortran 4.4 (and gcc 4.4) packaged up at
http://n900.tannerlab.com,
so this is what he used to make his version of R. Using this, I successfully compiled and installed R-2.12.0 along with all the recommended packages. This takes up 55 MB (including the online docs), and seems to be working fine.

Cheers, David Duffy.
I David, i would like to install R to my n900 but i cant; please could you release your file .deb for people like me( noob) which want R on their n900?!!

thank