Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard

After pushing the boundaries of what smartphone cameras are capable of with its 41-megapixel PureView Technology, Nokia seems to be gearing up for Lytro-like camera feature for its upcoming Lumia smartphones. Nokia is reportedly planning to invest in an imaging startup called Pelican Imaging, Bloomberg reports.

The California-based startup is known for its Array cameras that use multiple optics to click a number of pictures and then meshes all the data into one image. Bo Ilsoe, a partner at Nokia Growth Partners told Bloomberg, “Array cameras are on the cusp of being commercialized and Pelican does software for that. It’s very complicated to do this algorithmically and Pelican is one of the companies that have mastered this technology,” he added. Though the report doesn’t explicitly say it, but we can expect the Finnish company to add this technology to its Lumia range of phones in the future to help them compete against the Android and Apple devices.

This, if you remember, is not the first time Nokia is investing in an imaging company, as last July Nokia had acquired Sweden-based Scalado for the company’s imaging software technologies. Nokia has since then added Scalado’s technologies like face zoom and the ability to remove unwanted elements from a picture to its Lumia range of phones. Nokia also has a tie-up with lens maker Carl Ziess for its camera phone optics.

The Following User Says Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Yeah ...
Lumia lumia lumia lumia lumia lumia
i want a lumia now it has pelcian imaing bla bla..
Btw nokia is renowned for its imaging techniques i have a great experience wih em namely n70 n n82

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Yeah ...
Lumia lumia lumia lumia lumia lumia
i want a lumia now it has pelcian imaing bla bla..
Btw nokia is renowned for its imaging techniques i have a great experience wih em namely n70 n n82
you don't seem like you tried the 808 pureview and i agree on the lumia bla bla part

The Following User Says Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by myname24 View Post
you don't seem like you tried the 808 pureview and i agree on the lumia bla bla part
hey i ment the gsm equipped cams i use/used extensively also n8 for a brief tym.

Megapixels=marketing hype
lens size quality=real deal
image processing= onscreen polish for compensation
just a tip
will love to get corrected

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera, nokia