Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Does anyone know of an adapter that will let me make and receive calls with a landline using my N900 (preferably via bluetooth)?

I want somthing that will let me use my N900 as a handset for my landline, so all my telephony activities while at home can be performe with my N900 itself which usually is always at hand, instead of having to go to the landline handset that is near the wall plug (wireless landline phones are way too expensive for how often i use the landline). If possible i would rather have it work via bluetooth, so it would automaticly connect when i'm in range and there would be less wear in the wires and connectors. Ideally the functionality would be integrated with the N900's builtin Contacts and Phone progs so there woud be little difference between calling using my cell account and using the landline.

If something like that doesn't exist ready to be bought, could you point me to a tutorial on how to build one myself please? (preferably one with newbies (i don't mean n00bs) in mind, and that deals with cheap components)

If you have a home server, you could set up an asterix server as your own PBX. You would have to buy a card to adapt it to a landline.

David

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
i use this.

http://www.vtechphones.com/vtechphon...ProductID=1458

works fine and connects to my phone, and my wifes phone pretty simple. can decide to make calls using the landline and the cellphone. it does not sync all my contacts from the n900...thank god, i have over 1100! but works just like using your n900 by making the call via the cellular through the landline handset.

if you live in a small home or appartment, it should be fine. our house is a bit larger so it only connects autmatically when i am in my office. as it is bluetooth, about 30feet from the device is where the n900 should be.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
I do that with my Fritz!Box, setting up the N900 as a VOIP endpoint over WLAN. When my landline rings, so do the DECT phones and the N900. I also can make in-house calls from the N900 to the DECT phones using but the internal network.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
I do that with my Fritz!Box, setting up the N900 as a VOIP endpoint over WLAN.
I've got a Fritz!Box

Is there any guide or hint available that shows how to do that?

The Following User Says Thank You to robbie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
i use this.

http://www.vtechphones.com/vtechphon...ProductID=1458

works fine and connects to my phone, and my wifes phone pretty simple. can decide to make calls using the landline and the cellphone. it does not sync all my contacts from the n900...thank god, i have over 1100! but works just like using your n900 by making the call via the cellular through the landline handset.

if you live in a small home or appartment, it should be fine. our house is a bit larger so it only connects autmatically when i am in my office. as it is bluetooth, about 30feet from the device is where the n900 should be.
That seems to do the opposite of what i'm asking, instead of using the N900 as a landline handset while in range that thing seems to be for using landline handsets to make cell calls while in range...

edit: all these suggestions even if applicable, seem to be too complex for what i'm asking, what i'm picturing is a device almost dongle sized, that is like a landline phone, but instead of speaker, microphone and dialpad it got a bluetooth transceiver; so you pair a bluetooth cellphone (or computer) and use it's own speakers, mic and dialing functionality to make and receive landline calls.

Last edited by TiagoTiago; 2011-01-26 at 03:43.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=bluetooth

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
I do that with my Fritz!Box, setting up the N900 as a VOIP endpoint over WLAN. When my landline rings, so do the DECT phones and the N900. I also can make in-house calls from the N900 to the DECT phones using but the internal network.
The Fritz!Box looks interesting. Too bad I didn't see this sooner. I just got the Panasonic Dect 3 sets end of last year.

Tags
adapter, bluetooth, landline, no request?