I just find it frustrating that Nokia Can't be bothered (that's how it looks from here) to just throw a resonable level of resources at developing the software that would make the N8xx fantastic for consumer and geek alike.

There is just so much that Nokia could do if they had the mind to, but instead it is just left to simmer and the community.

It's good that the communitiy can do stuff, but if Nokia just put 1% of the resource that Apple probably did in developing the iPhone, then we would already have most of the things that a revolutionary device should and a lot more besides. I bet they would be selling at 10 times the rate as well.

It almost seams like they lack the vision or there is just to much inertia to make things happen.

Come on Nokia get of your Ar*e and put some real effort in.

Rant Over!!!

Zuber

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I just find it frustrating that Nokia Can't be bothered (that's how it looks from here) to just throw a resonable level of resources at developing the software that would make the N8xx fantastic for consumer and geek alike.

There is just so much that Nokia could do if they had the mind to, but instead it is just left to simmer and the community.

It's good that the communitiy can do stuff, but if Nokia just put 1% of the resource that Apple probably did in developing the iPhone, then we would already have most of the things that a revolutionary device should and a lot more besides. I bet they would be selling at 10 times the rate as well.

It almost seams like they lack the vision or there is just to much inertia to make things happen.

Come on Nokia get of your Ar*e and put some real effort in.

Rant Over!!!

Zuber
Its like a person speaks in a vaccum and is almost never heard over the drones of music playing in the head..

Nokia is facilitating the IT as a community-driven effort. The vision and innovation is being given to the community of users to exploit with Nokia providing VERY HIGH LEVEL direction and resource allocation where needed. This has been said OVER AND OVER. The inability of software to be sharpened on the IT is a community issue just as much as it is a Nokia one, and a good deal moreso since its the community that are its MAIN and ONLY voice to the consumer.

Find a way to contribute and fix your perspective please.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
Don't assume that the past dictates the present or future... or that absence of evidence means evidence of absence.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Philadelphia
I must be one of few people that does not want a phone in everything. I would hope that the next gen tablet improves on the N810, without adding a phone.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jayayess1190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
As for the built-in phone concept.
Sure - If somebody sees my n810 /and previously 770/ and is able to read "nokia" on it - it means "this is a phone".
In fact in Poland we don't have really cheap data transfer rates - every with some kind of GB limit.
If we could back in time let's say - 5 years it would be nice to have such transfers for this amount of cash but - the time passes by.
Everyone (well - almost) is getting used to min. 1-2-10MBit connection (and I don't think about cellular "super-duper" transfers promissed by HSDPA) at home.
Then - I should pay twice - once for home access, then for my pocket-access.
Since I've got internet at home, at work and at school - this would be a kind of waste for me.
Last time I was on bussines trip I had to use my E51 /connected to edge since there was no hsdpa at this spot/ for simple tasks like e-mail and www.
It was surely pain...
Why?
On mobile phone's when one uses something like "opera mini" where pages are optimized and are very small - downloading page in oryginal form (usually over 300 elements per page) takes so much time that I see it as unusable.
Today's webpages are killers for small computers - so what they do for mobile devices?
In this world - from my point of view tablets are VERY efficient in browsing as mobile devices. And everything slower than WiFi is only acceptable in critical situations.
Data lags between packets in cellular networks are so huge, that downloading standard web-page is highly inefficient.
Ok - I haven't seen iPhone3G in action but network transfer issues remain the same regardless of platform.
From that point of view - built in phone would be only a gadget for me.
I don't like the idea of such big phone but also I can't imagine using so small phone displays for the web (maybe I'm just getting older since years ago I was excited to have flat WAP rate with B/W display phone SiemensME45 then Nokia3650 and wasted a LOT of time browsing the web on them .

Hi,

Originally Posted by Jayayess1190 View Post
I must be one of few people that does not want a phone in everything. I would hope that the next gen tablet improves on the N810, without adding a phone.

I so agree with you.

Just got A N800 and and flat out would have hated it if it had come with A phone built into it.

This does exactly what I expected and want, why put something in there I would never use.

Hate cell phones with A passion, I have one but hate using it.

I hope Nokia continues with producing new models as I really enjoy my NIT.

Figures though, I used to use A Sony Clie, Then A Dell Axim x50V.

Both discontinued but still useful, I hope Nokia bucks the trend of me choosing obsolete or soon to be obsolete gear.

David

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
I must be a other one ...

And yes i hate the iPhone, too small screen, constant zoom in/out when navigate, and specially is virtual keyboard that is useless to write more than 10 words !

I hope that nokia will keep the same form factor of the n810 for futur models, and that we will not get stupid phone things in it.

In recognize in RogerS's post the hope the get to the "ultimate" device, the perfect one that will suit all needs, all kind of usage, all expectations.
Personnally, I'm convinced we will just never get to that point. Just as there is a huge variety of human communities and cultures, or even more, just as there are billions of individuals on earth, you obviously ends up with thousands or millions of different expectations, habits, .... And therefore, looking back at portable internet devices or assimilated technologies, you will always have to provide a multitude of variations in order to target all of these human expectations or needs (or, to be more honnest, industry-created needs).

I own myself a home computer, a laptop, a Nokia N95, a N810 and an Apple iPod Touch. To some extend, all of these technologies are overlapping, however each one is serving a different purpose depending on where I am, what I want to do and how I want to do it. I don't expected the whole world population to adopt my consumeristic approach. It's just that I've studied computer science, I work in computer science, and I love computer science and that the devices I own today are fitting my today's usage pattern. Android might change it a bit later on, any new technology will anyway. There's is no final and definitive pattern.

As ARJWright pointed out, anyway all of this devices as just part of the "revolution". There are just the windows to look at a garden, and just as they is a multitude of different windows, there is also a multitude of different gardens.

If you missed this article, please look for Wired's July release and do read the article about Android (if you don't have it, have a look on mygazines.com). You can make the most beautiful and perfect device, if the data carriers are not changing their behaviour and don't accept a business model change that they may perceive as hurting their benefits, if developpers don't adopt your platform, if..., if..., if..., then this is all just another rock thrown in the water.

Back to improving the N810, I really don't care it doesn't have a SIM slot. I do always have my N95 in my pocket, so if my N810 needs internet access and finds no Wifi it'll use my phone. My iPod Touch can do the same, as my N95 can also be turned into a Wifi hotspot (but I prefer a Bluetooth radio in my pocket, near my <censored> rather then a Wifi radio - I still may want to have a 3rd child). That's what I like : combinaison of technologies, the one being able to use the other when I need a new approach = the LEGO approach. What matters most, is that users of the NIT who are finding ways or ideas to improve it (of course matched to their own personnal expectations) can somehow influence the future development of it (thru forums, congress, sites like this one,...). I expect the same from iPod Touch users, and the same from N95 users.

Any time that is lost is discussions about what platform or device is best and why others who don't understand it are stupid is so much a waste of time and a neglection of the world's human variety. I don't want a uniform world.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moom For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Speaking about the tablet as a phone, would it suffice to make it behave as a bluetooth headset of your bluetooth enabled phone ?
Now that we have Bluetooth 2.0 and A2DP (or ADP?) the bandwidth should suffice for both connections, shouldn't it ?

And as we are at it, why not sync the contacts with the Contacts app in the tablet.
And also improve the "Internet Call" module with a "Phone Call" option where I can either type the number to call or choose the contact to call and let the phone handle it while using the tablet as bluetooth headset (thus using its speakers or its headphones).

I think that would be more than enough to make everyone happy. Me at least.
The phone is another device, the phone is hidden in my jacket and has its own battery. I can bring only my phone with me and leave the tablet at home.
While browsing the web on my tablet (via the phone connection or WiFi) and recevie a call, I will be prompted to answer it ON THE TABLET.
Same for SMSes.

This already happens on the Mac if you have a good bluetooth phone, like my very old Ericsson t39m (the first bluetooth phone!).
Pairing it with the Mac and using the Addressbook application I was able to make/receive calls from the Mac, reading and sending SMSes THRU the Mac.

Why it can't be done on the tablet then ?
Also consider that MANY GPS Navigation devices already do it, like the linux based TomTom One.

So... what do you think ?

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I love these threads. It's always a bit like over-ambitious mothers telling their little daughters "Why don't you put more efforts into algebra? Why don't you invite Emma someday, her daddy's rich! Why don't you wear this skirt, it makes you look so cute!" - They say all this because they love their daughters and want them to be the best and most successful kid in town.

I don't actually love Nokia. I admit there are some cool people there I'd really like to meet in person some day (and maybe then...), but thats not enough to make me love the class enemy and wish for its success. So I have no urge to tell them what to do and how to become prettier than the brat from the apple farm on the other side of the town.

What I do love, though, is what Nokia achieved for me. They offered me cool products I wouldn't have had otherwise (yes, I guess I love my tablets in a way ...). Even more important, they developed really good technologies that now even come to the desktop as well (the IM client I use on my desktop is built on top of the telepathy framework). And the best thing of all: They showcased that devices with free software can be consumer-ready and attract more than just 3 geeks. This was probably the most important achievement of all: GNU/Linux on embedded devices is here to stay, the idea of openness spreads across platforms and even reaches Symbian.

So, as for the further development of the tablet platform as such: Maybe we'll see a great new device, maybe just a disappointing Apple-Clone. But it doesn't matter. If Nokia doesn't come up with an N900 that does what I expect, there'll be alternatives. Maybe not at the same time, maybe I'll have to wait until 2009, but there will be devices that are small, connected and open. And I firmly believe that this is mainly because of Nokia showing the rest of the industry that it can be done and how it's done.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post: