Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
4) diff this kernel with the diablo kernel source in order to pick up any additional changes done by Nokia
5) download a stock 2.6.25 kernel and apply the OMAP patches
6) port the patch obtained from step 4 over to the stock 2.6.25 + OMAP patches kernel

Once that is complete we should have a 2.6.25 kernel that can run on the N810.

Now the Android part:

1) diff the stock 2.6.25 kernel with the Android kernel to get the Android changes
2) apply this patch to the kernel obtained above

After that we should have everything we need for the kernel right?
I would be very interested in the 2.6.25 kernel with Nokia patches.

But I'd be surprised if your task was as easy as you think it is; for example, what do you do if the same code has been modified by both Nokia and Google? Whose code do you take?

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
I'd be interested in collaborating, perhaps starting a project.

I've been going through the patches, lots of work.... but I'm sure it's doable.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Theoretically, you could get dalvik to write to the framebuffer on the n8x0 too.
In theory, yes. But, in my opinion, it'd be much more valuable to port it to display on X, than to have it write directly to yet another specific piece of hardware.

Displaying to X would probably be valuable to all X windows compatible platforms (other linuxes and unixes, even Macs, which have an X add-on ... and maybe even Windows, if there's X add-ons for that).

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
In theory, yes. But, in my opinion, it'd be much more valuable to port it to display on X, than to have it write directly to yet another specific piece of hardware.

Displaying to X would probably be valuable to all X windows compatible platforms (other linuxes and unixes, even Macs, which have an X add-on ... and maybe even Windows, if there's X add-ons for that).
I agree with you that X11 is the better target, but I'd point out that lcuk's work does not use standalone framebuffer access, but XV; such a port to XV would be more broadly applicable than N8x0 only.

And yes, both my NT boxes are running X servers. Cygwin's the only thing that makes sitting in front of NT all day bearable.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I would be very interested in the 2.6.25 kernel with Nokia patches.

But I'd be surprised if your task was as easy as you think it is; for example, what do you do if the same code has been modified by both Nokia and Google? Whose code do you take?
I never said it was easy. I was just outlining what steps I thought needed to be done.

The Following User Says Thank You to cyrus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm so very much out of my depth here; but I'm looking forward to seeing what the True Coders here can do... Like I said, I'd be very interested in the half-way point, the new kernel with the Nokia patches applied. I can see all sorts of reasons why that might be very very valuable, not least of which is that, if I were Nokia, and I were developing a new OS for a new, powerful platform I was building, I'd probably start with a newer kernel. And it seems to me that having that newer kernel also running on older Nokia devices might be a step in the right direction to backporting some, if not all, of the new OS (especially important, low level stuff) to the older devices...

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Is there a kernel already for the new android?

Tags
android