Poll: Which is the strongest Group ??
Poll Options
Which is the strongest Group ??

This is just a fun, off-topic thread to use up time for my lunch break.
I've somewhat gotten into Tokyo Jungle game, and came up with this fun little debate.

What is the most dangerous animal (pound-for-pound) ?

Obviously the African Elephant is number one, but that's because it is tens/hundreds/thousands of times larger than other animals. So in effort, I've given the smaller animals greater numbers to compensate. I also realize that too many numbers is also an advantage so I normalized (reduced) the quantities to better match the list. I tried including all animals worth including, and not including too many doubles. I've also removed Humans/Soldiers from this list because they would win too often.

The terrain could be Shrubs, Swamps, Rivers, Low-Density forests, Grasslands, Plains.

I've also grouped them into 3 animals per group, with what I thought was fair chances.
So without further ado, here's our contestants:

Group A:
700x Golden Eagles
350x Black Mambas
300x King Cobras

Group B:
100x Komodo Dragons
40x Green Anacondas
13x Saltwater Crocodiles

Group C:
250x Madagascar Fossa
200x Honeybadgers
150x Wolverines

Group D:
150x Cane Corsos
120x Anatolian Kangals
95x Gray Wolves

Group E:
190x Caracals
85x Pumas
70x Hyenas

Group F:
65x African Leopards
52x Black Jaguars
33x Lions

Group G:
160x Chacma Baboons
49x Silverback Gorrilas
25x Grizzly Bears

Group H:
80x African Ostriches
30x Nth American Moose
15x African Buffalos

Group I:
5x Hippos
3x White Rhinos
2x African Elephants

PS If there's anyway you want those quantities changed, or one animal substituted for another, please comment.

I'm flattered

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Group J:
1x Dave999

Hmmm, that would be difficult to top.
Not sure if it would be fair for the lions, bears, ohmy.

By the way, that animal in your avatar looks dangerous.
Where would you place that furry critter?

I'm flattered

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Hmmm, that would be difficult to top.
Not sure if it would be fair for the lions, bears, ohmy.

By the way, that animal in your avatar looks dangerous.
Where would you place that furry critter?
hehhehe, don't worry, he won't bite
by the way, Kangal is a turkish dog.
It's one of the biggest dogs on earth

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Group J:
1x Dave999
While you don't know it. You are absolutely right. Humans are by far the most dangerous one. I'm happy to be the ambassador for the humans in this particular poll.

Meanwhile my vote goes to hippos.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

I'm thinking of the Saltwater Crocs, Grizzly Bear, Green Anaconda, Pumas and the Wolverines.

I think the Crocs are a bit of a cheat: they're huge, armoured and powerful. Yet, their downside is their stamina, speed, and few numbers.

I do see them getting defeated by the Anacondas. And even possibly defeated by the Grizzly. I think the Anacondas are the more easily defeated creatures, and the bears the more adaptable ones.

However, I think the bears can be overwhelmed. I can also see the sheer numbers of the Pumas and Wolverines doing this.

Yet, I don't think it all correlates properly. I mean I just don't see the Wolverines (even when ten of them) getting wet, muddy and going through that armoured skin to take out a single croc.

So I'm going to vote for the Pumas.
They're one of the fastest creatures here. They're mid-class in strength. And can take some damage before getting killed. They also have ample numbers. I think they're the most balanced of the group, and so, the most adaptable.

However, I think the extremes of this comparison is the Eagle (can you catch them/take em all out), the croc (how well can you fight in water), and the elephant (can you pierce that armour).

I'm flattered

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
kodiak is worse than grizzly...
great to see them from a boat off Kodiak Island...
no closer though for me...or any one else who wishes to keep a pulse...
worse than kodiak is polar...
1 polar is enough for me...
they sure look cute in commercials and cartoons...
reality is different...
I've seen them up close in Churchill...real close...from a polar bear proof viewing vehicle...without that ...quickly everyone is a meal.
They'll rip off a camper door..an RV door ...a car door...a truck door...to eat you...if they can.
Survivors of attacks have some pretty horrific scars and stories to tell...
bears have a tendency to bite the face off 1st...I suppose it helps to stop the screaming.
Most definitely 1x Dave999 is a far worse adversary.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-04-14 at 02:13.

Aren't Kodiak bears, European Brown, and Grizzly bears....aren't they all the same species?
ie Brown Bears.

I didn't include Polar Bears because they weigh so much more than a Brown Bear, however thay aren't that much more powerful or dangerous in comparison.

So by choosing the Brown Bears and boosting their group number, I've essentially given bears a leg-up.

Let me ask you this do you think 5-6 Pumas can overwhelm 2 Brown Bear?

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2015-04-14 at 04:32.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
oh man...
no ..they aren't
Kodiaks are Kodiaks.
Grizzlies are Grizzlies..
Browns are Browns
and Blacks are Blacks
sure they are all bears...
but the difference is size and power.
Kodiaks are the biggest of them all.
Most downright fearless and to be feared have got to be polars
man...they think we taste great.
But yea...Kodiaks are monsters compared to the Grizzly
and grizzly is bigger than a common brown or little black.
Where I grew up in Northern Ontario old saying...
kick a black bear it goes up a tree..
kick a brown bear you go up a tree...
out in bc here they are smarter...don't even try to kick the grizzly...just keep far far away...
pretty easy out here...
every spring they come down from the mountains and by summer they are picking berries ...we have berries growing thick and higher than hedges here...so...sometimes you run into them when hiking or berry picking....you smell them long before you see them...at which point it is smart to turn around and find another place to pick berries. They tend not to bother people unless they are old...or hungry...or young..or hurt and have a hard time catching harder food...the stronger fitter ones drive the old and young down out of the mountains ahead of them...mom's with babies are the worst...and keeping a sane distance is a good idea...this last decade ...they are getting more fearless of people...rushing at people...instead of being cautious of us...respectful ...or leaving people alone...it's the encroachment of humanity on their territory ...
They can run awfully fast....a good distance away from them is best method to view a grizzly...
I've had run ins with bear and cougar out here on the island.......got wolves out here too...good proper ones on the north end of the island...people are trying to leave them be...gotta put them down if they get too familiar with us. Some moose and we also have elk...deer galore...hell this is my back yard....

her I call "Garden Muncher"

her I call "Freezer Meat"

hehe
but yea....daily ...and I mean daily...it's a parade
..gotta take a walking stick with you just to go for a walk...
buggers are cute...strip your garden bare...and during rutting season...or if there are babies near..they can attack...stomp you...not common...not usual..not rare either...smart to be prudent...closest I've come is arms length away ...not my curiousity but theirs...and these are wild deer.....thing is... these guys have been more and more habituated to humans with every passing generation...on a walk during the day...seeing anywhere from 6 to a dozen isn't unusual...dangerous for driving too...they are thick as ticks here...

as far as pumas vs bears...cats are smart...they work together...
problem is bigger the bear...thicker fur...more fat...that is the bears protection...hard to get "at" a bear with claws or teeth...bear swat = face gone or disemboweled and or thrown ...and / or limb that is swatted immediately broken and useless...
Naw...not something I'd want to consider.

here is a good sizing of a kodiak...
http://www.animals-pictures-dictiona...images/372.jpg
one swipe and your head is gone from your shoulders...
grab a leg and pull you apart like lobster legs at brunch.
light "tap" in the chest and your ribs are done.
stomp you...and they like stomping as much as raking or biting...one stomp and your new nickname isn't kangal ...it's "jelly" ...may as well just call it a day and pray to pass out while he's settling down for dinner...save you alot of pain.
much bigger than a brown. or a grizz.
and if you want to start shooting at one...boy... make sure you got enough distance between them and you...and you are using the proper rifle....are a good shot at a moving target running like a dump truck out of control straight for you...and you got plenty of shells...
oh and don't forget your "brown" pants
way too much force there in those bodies for my liking..
way too much strength and speed...
I mean...really...

naw ...all the training and domestication..doesn't matter... still keeps me respectful and at a distance...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-04-14 at 05:51.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Group K: A small vial of smallpox.