Notices

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Hi All.

Yesterday I was reading Thoughtfix's UMPC in-car GPS installation blog entry, which pointed to its (smart!) USB power injector 2: http://thoughtfix.blogspot.com/2006/...njector-2.html

Now, the author of the sixth comment reports that GPSdrive was working correctly with the power injector and a usb GPS receiver.

Is there any hope that also Maemo Mapper (which as far as I remember is somewhat based on GPS Drive) will work with a wired USB receiver?
And what about a serial + usb converter?

I do not care so much about having wires into my car, but I must care about hardware price
No problem for me in managing configure files for USB host or using a solder, tough

If you can mount the USB GPS receiver to a file from which NMEA can be read directly, then you can just specify that filename as the "GPS Receiver MAC", and Maemo Mapper should read from the file.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by gnuite
If you can mount the USB GPS receiver to a file from which NMEA can be read directly, then you can just specify that filename as the "GPS Receiver MAC", and Maemo Mapper should read from the file.
Thank you gnuite, I'll try it out and let know to the community

anyone tried USB-GPS for mapper and N800?

how does the mounting to a file works?

Any one figure this out? I am working on this idea myself...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
im guessing that what gnuite was talking about was to point maemo mapper towards the /dev entry for the usb gps device.