Active Topics

Most likely Application Manager isn't just finished yet.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Please file the bug. This is what early releases are for. Thanks!

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Same issue when trying to install mediabox.

So did someone try using >= instead of = ?
qwerty12?

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Coincidentally or not, there was an UKMP update.:
There was a UKMP update? When? The maemo.org download page for it says it is at version 1.83 and was last updated 8/12/08. Is this in devel repository?

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Filed https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4754 about this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
So I now have a confirmation that the reason is that 3rd party applications are not allowed to have strict (=) dependencies on Nokia packages.
Time to contact the package maintainers it seems...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
That would make sense if gftp-common and madbomber-data were packages made by Nokia.

I will not reupload gFTP with the change as the fault is not on my side.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
That would make sense if gftp-common and madbomber-data were packages made by Nokia.
Indeed. I've raised this on maemo-developers as it's not clear what the policy is; where it's been discussed and why it was not raised by Nokia for discussion in the developer community before implementing it.

Not only am I annoyed and disappointed, I'm worried that it could well be implemented as a complete ban on "=", because a logical conclusion of the policy principles as described above would be that any explicit package version could conflict with a package brought in in a future SSU. Indeed, the only logical conclusion of "all SSUs must work all the time" is that all third party packages must be uninstalled before applying it! (And even that wouldn't guarantee it!)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
So I now have a confirmation that the reason is that 3rd party applications are not allowed to have strict (=) dependencies on Nokia packages.
Time to contact the package maintainers it seems...
So kernel modules cannot be packaged by third parties?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
it's not clear what the policy is; where it's been discussed and why it was not raised by Nokia for discussion in the developer community before implementing it.
The policy proposed is explained in the wiki page and is implemented in the beta code of the AM. I'm not sure either why it hasn't been discussed before bt the fact is that it's not carved in stone and nobody is claiming that is bug free.

I have left more comments in the bug report. Andre and the Igalia developer in charge of the implementation are in the Desktop Summit and I have chatted with both about this problem. Maybe not too much happens code during July since most of us will be on holidays but we will find a solution for this before Fremantle goes to the hands of users and this policy is effectively enforced by the AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post: