Excellent, easy to follow guide. My compliments. Went smooth. Thanks

OK I did this and all of the USB hacks but when I connect the USB and try to go to the internal memory card (the one with the cloned OS. PERFECT PARTITIONING), the computer just says "Insert a disk in drive I:". Before it said on my N800 "Internal memory card busy" or something but I managed to fix it (thanks fanoush) but I cannot fix this. Please offer your support peoples

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by davos1 View Post
OK I did this and all of the USB hacks but when I connect the USB and try to go to the internal memory card (the one with the cloned OS. PERFECT PARTITIONING), the computer just says "Insert a disk in drive I:". Before it said on my N800 "Internal memory card busy" or something but I managed to fix it (thanks fanoush) but I cannot fix this. Please offer your support peoples
Take a look at this post/thread.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

That's what I did from the start. It also never mentions the error that I'm getting.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Yes, but not via flasher. You need to use mtd-utils. I did it few times. There is no simple way but you can use tools from initfs flasher. This is what I do:

When I like current stable system in flash (after clean reflashing and tweaking it a bit) I boot from mmc and do a backup

Code:
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /opt
./mkfs.jffs2 -r /opt -o /media/mmc1/rootfs.jffs2 -e 128 -l -n
umount /opt
There is also optional sumtool command that optimizes the image a bit for faster mounting.

Code:
sumtool -i rootfs.jffs2 -o rootfs.faster.jffs2  -e 128KiB -l -n
Sorry to dredge up an old thread. How do I mount the rootfs.jffs2 image file that is created using this technique?

Is there some modification of this method that is still valid for the N8x0 tablets?

How do you mount a jffs2 image on a loop device?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Is there some modification of this method that is still valid for the N8x0 tablets?

How do you mount a jffs2 image on a loop device?
Well, did not try but it should work. You just need losetup and block2mtd kernel module. Not sure about losetup but you can get the module from http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/modules-d...2maemo1.tar.gz in drivers/mtd/devices

here is mounting script that worked for me on Ubuntu PC
Code:
if [ `id -u` != 0 ] ; then
    echo "run this as root"
    exit
fi
if [ $# -lt 2 ] ; then
    echo $0 image.jffs2 directory
    exit
fi
LOOPDEV=`losetup -f`
losetup $LOOPDEV $1 #rootfs.jffs2
modprobe block2mtd block2mtd=$LOOPDEV,131072
modprobe jffs2
modprobe mtdblock
sleep 1
[ -d $2 ] || mkdir $2
mount -t jffs2 -o ro /dev/mtdblock0 $2
/dev/mtdblock0 is definitely wrong choice on the tablet. Do not even try, it may trash the bootloader, I think someone complained here it did. Most probably the right choice is /dev/mtdblock5.

Let us know how it went :-)

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2009-02-10 at 08:10. Reason: /dev/mtdblock0 is definitely wrong choice !!

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
You should look at the article on the current wiki, I've been updating it to be a bit more current as to how the image is made etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
that is still valid for the N8x0 tablets?
Hmm, I was thinking you want to run it directly on the tablet (to look into created backup and maybe recover one file?) but maybe you just meant to do it on regular PC? Then the wiki page may indeed help.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Hmm, I was thinking you want to run it directly on the tablet (to look into created backup and maybe recover one file?)
Yes, I want to be able to open these image files on the tablet.

I have slightly bigger ambitions than recovering files from a backup, however... I was hoping to be able to chroot into this image and run applications from within the image...

We'll see how it goes. Thanks so much for your help, guys!

I was hoping to be able to chroot into this image and run applications from within the image...
Yes, this should work. One issue is that you should mount it read only to be on the safe side (and the jffs2 image is made 100% full anyway) so stuff that tries to write there fails but it shouldn't be real problem as you can mount /tmp etc. over it.