OK, so I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to post what I did and then get a question answered. I used the "worlds smallest adapter" mentioned above by disassembling it and then just taping the micro sdhc card to the contacts with scotch/invisible tape. I know it's low tech, but it works great. With the usb portion removed, i can still close the 770's door just fine and I never had to crack open the case. (Though it is a little tight of a fit). That being said, when I pop the thing into my sd card reader on my windows box, it comes up but is readonly as if there is a lock and it is switched on. I've retaped it in different positions and compared it to a normal sd card and it doesn't look like anything is in the way of the lock position. Does anybody have any ideas? I'd love to be able to throw it in the computer, copy media files over and then swap it back into the 770.

I could just connect the 770 through usb, but then if the 770 is in USB host mode, I'll have to mess with changing to slave and host and back all the time. I guess that'd still be ok if it was easier than having to use the flasher util every time. Is there an easier way?

I could do it over WiFi, but then if I'm somewhere that it's a pain to setup...blah blah blah...

You see my dilema? Ideas anyone?

By the way, fanoush, thank you for making this possible with your patches. And thanks to everyone else for the ideas, instructions, etc...

time dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/dev/null bs=8192 count=10000
I did the perfomance test above with 10000 bytes and it finished in under 18sec

Yes I designed one for my new project to upgrade the N770 to be my next music player. It is not for everybody but we will also soon be offering memory cards already installed once I get the perfect understanding on how to easily install support for SDHC. This is the only way it is useful for production. I now use several for standard microSD cards.

craves1

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
is there any scope to replace the mmc socket in the 770 with a proper transflash/micro-sd socket?

Originally Posted by knchris View Post
That being said, when I pop the thing into my sd card reader on my windows box, it comes up but is readonly as if there is a lock and it is switched on. I've retaped it in different positions and compared it to a normal sd card and it doesn't look like anything is in the way of the lock position. Does anybody have any ideas? I'd love to be able to throw it in the computer, copy media files over and then swap it back into the 770.
The write-protect switch on an SD card is just a movable tab; no electrical contacts. It is read by a microswitch in card readers that support it. So either get a card reader that doesn't support it, or cut a piece of cardboard the width of an SD card, and slide that in behind the card to trip the switch.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-04-28 at 22:15.

I bought my 770 used a couple of weeks ago, and it still had the tiny stock 64MB rsMMC card.
After reading much of the wealth of information here on ITT, (and flashing to 2007HE, & fanoush's memory patch) I almost bought the cheap 3 in 1 adapter to use with microSD memory.

However, I found this page - http://jakekerber.vox.com/library/po...issection.html

Which suggested all I needed to do was buy a regular SD card and cut it open. I went and bought an Ativa 2GB SD card for $10, opened it up, and the insides where exactly the same as pictures in the link above.

All I had to do was cut the original plastic backing of the SD to the size of an rsMMC card, glue the memory to the backing and viola! Perfect fit.
It inserts and removes exactly the same as the original rsMMC.

I plan on buying an 8GB card soon, and I'll update on my findings.
I suspect that manufacturing processes being what they are, it is cheapest to make the smallest flash and put it in different packages.

The Following User Says Thank You to GregFM For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Please keep us updated on the 8GB ones

Has anyone seen this yet?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4GB-4G-4GO-4-G...QQcmdZViewItem

Looking at the feedback, there has been some issues with card, but there is also some very positive feedback.

Originally Posted by GregFM View Post

I plan on buying an 8GB card soon, and I'll update on my findings.
any findings yet?

Many people have talked about fitting a full-sized SD slot, but I haven't seen any posts of results yet.

Here's a walkthrough of my attempt at this modification:
http://dibblah.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/N770-SD

Cheers,

Allan.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dibblah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Dibblah View Post
Here's a walkthrough of my attempt at this modification:
http://dibblah.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/N770-SD
Nice. Wiring door switch to write protect switch is not ideal though. It works when inserting card as expected but not when removing card. Opening door unmounts /media/mmc1 (possibly doing some cached writes before unmounting) and warns you if card is locked (=umount failed, file on card is used). With this wiring card is gone before writing data and unmounting so one should unmount by hand before removing the card.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.