Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Believe me, "deflowering" your rover is the least of your concerns when your N900 is constantly between life and death... (I'm soo dramatic... :P )
"Do it, you won't regret.."
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strange1712 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Indonesia
Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
Believe me, "deflowering" your rover is the least of your concerns when your N900 is constantly between life and death... (I'm soo dramatic... :P )
"Do it, you won't regret.."
=================================
Okay, I'll convince myself that I could do it. because in a single day I use the USB many times. and I also doubt if It could stand for a long time

The Following User Says Thank You to supergaban For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
Ok, I Think I will have to get a new one from wherever there are "New" or "semi"-New ones... Mine doesn't want to charge anymore... I've tested the USB Pins and everything's all right, so it must have finally damaged the battery charging circuit... I'm Sad...
Check, if charging works for You, when using testpads beneath the battery. Schematics are bundled somewhere in the forum (picture, showing which test pad is what).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Hello people,

I just bought a Nokia N900 (march 11th 2012), and after reading the forums for a while I decided to do the preventive USB soldering that Dr. Frost is recommending.
But after opening it, it looks like this is already being done for new phones.

See the pictures below, there is a solder drop on the right side, but none on the left side. Probably because the left side would require to cut some plastic.

I don't know if I should do some soldering on the left side as well, any recommendations? I don't feel so confident cutting the plastic, is it really needed?
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lameventanas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
The right side also has abit more solder then normally, maybe even enough to hold it down, so i would say it is up to you if you want to give it more, but i think that your N900 USB actually looks pretty strong vs stock/old N900 USB.

Good to see the pictures, much easier to get now

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Is that a stock, first-hand N900 with the warranty sticker etc still intact?

If so, that's one thing that I totally did not expect from Nokia.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Is that a stock, first-hand N900 with the warranty sticker etc still intact?

If so, that's one thing that I totally did not expect from Nokia.
I think so, but I bought it from an ebay seller in hong-kong.
The box is black cardboard with nokia written in silver and no stickers.
It came with a 32 page manual, a CD with chinese and latin letters printed on it, a 5v 1.2a charger that says Nokia, and headphones. No composite video/audio output cable though.

The software version was 21.x, which is kind of strange because the latest I could find in the website when I wanted to flash it was 20.x. I think I only got 21.x after installing the CSSU.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
the soldering looks pretty bad (cold solder point at left side, mess on right). Also not Nokia original. I assume this is a refurbished device

My advice: remove excessive solder, scrape off green varnish, resolder both sides!
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jerjozwik View Post
le sigh... my usb fell out while i was traveling abroad near on a year ago. when it happened i could not believe it, then realized this forum had so many posts on the subject i though, "man if i only though to check out this forum" when i bought the phone. since then i have been using an external battery charger and letting the n900 steal my heart.

then i went and overclocked it... well... that generated a reboot loop. so i have a bricked phone now. all is not lost however, i know someone who is a bit crazy about modding electronics. he might be able to re-solder on the usb for me.

until then i have a "new" n900 coming from hong kong! first thing im gona do with it? solder down that blasted usb and grind down the cables! viva el n900!
¦-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...38&postcount=1

Originally Posted by lameventanas View Post
I think so, but I bought it from an ebay seller in hong-kong.
The box is black cardboard with nokia written in silver and no stickers.
It came with a 32 page manual, a CD with chinese and latin letters...
i think we may have gotten phones from the same seller. though mine did not come with such soldered reinforcements. mine is 100% not new though. during my break down to do the solder reinforce i noticed that all the internal components looked very dirty and tinged. the case however was in good condition. except for the kickstand magnet which seems to have disappeared.

also came with an off brand battery. the keyboard leds and status led would not illuminate. i put in my original nokia battery and everything worked. strange...