Posts: 37 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Oregon
From yesterdays Linux Insider
The Nokia N900 will be available in select markets starting in October at about $713. It's not likely to come to the United States any time soon.

"Nokia has other things in the hopper for the U.S. market, namely growing its presence and building smartphones for CDMA networks," IDC's Llamas explained. "It could be a while until we see the new devices here."
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/67971.html

This, if true really sucks. If the phone were subsidized by T-Mobile it would go for about $250.00 to 350.00 with a one year contract. Now you would have to pay full retail and if the phone is not "officially" for sale in the United States you could have problems if you need to use the warranty. The fact the phone is not up on the USA Nokia website is a bad sign as well. Bummer if true

So it just went through the FCC process so it could languish?

So far the "leaks" have been better sources (than the normal tech review blogs) and the leaks say North America in October....

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Team C View Post
The Nokia N900 will be available in select markets starting in October at about $713. It's not likely to come to the United States any time soon.

"Nokia has other things in the hopper for the U.S. market, namely growing its presence and building smartphones for CDMA networks," IDC's Llamas explained. "It could be a while until we see the new devices here."

This, if true really sucks. If the phone were subsidized by T-Mobile it would go for about $250.00 to 350.00 with a one year contract. Now you would have to pay full retail and if the phone is not "officially" for sale in the United States you could have problems if you need to use the warranty. The fact the phone is not up on the USA Nokia website is a bad sign as well. Bummer if true
If there's anything I've learned about analysts, it's that they are full of **** 90% of the time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Team C View Post

Thats because t-mobile want exclusivity and they will announce it at nokia world and then the nokia usa store will open.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
If there's anything I've learned about analysts, it's that they are full of **** 90% of the time.
I remember in 2004-ish, some highly-paid analysts predicted the Nintendo Wii would come in third place with the PS3 dominating the majority market. All they were doing was looking at what had happened in the past and extrapolated it to the future.

And remember a few months ago when there were analysts claiming Nokia had dropped Maemo in favour of Android?

And for literally years before that there were analysts claiming Nokia was going to imminently drop Symbian in favour of Windows Mobile.

Really you have to wonder what these people are paid for. The only predictions most analysts seem to get right are the ones that are so short term and predictable that no one could get them wrong. Anything long term (i.e. anything actually useful) and they just seem to spout any old random cobblers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Nokia has been making a point of focusing on the US market, and I bet we get it before anyone else. The big developer talent in the world is in Russia, India, China, and the US, and of those, the US is the only one with a recovering economy and the financials to make it a hit if it goes well.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
but i'm only guessing, not stating fact

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
but i'm only guessing, not stating fact
Congrats. You're now an analyst.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Take a look at the keynote speakers at Nokia World, after the CEO of Nokia is Rene Obermann, CEO, Deutsche Telekom.

Seems incredulous that Tmobile wont release this world wide and after FCC cert, it seems a dead cert.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dansus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Indiana
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Congrats. You're now an analyst.
I LOL'ed while eating a BK big fish and nearly choked. Thanks a lot ZJ!

Sorry, the usual thanks just didn't suffice. And I agree about your analysts statement. The only thing worse is a financial analyst.

The Following User Says Thank You to daveb70 For This Useful Post: