Active Topics

I would like to share some of my thoughts with you about things that could be made in the future and would like to ask all of you to share your ideas too.

Today i saw the video where the head designer for nokia was explaining some details about MeeGo and that they are bulding a whole new UI for it. Also he told that the system will be more inituitive (sorry if bad english).

This made me think about the platform "smartphones". If you look closely you will mention that smartphones aren't smart at all. you have to do everything yourself.

Wouldn't it be great if smartphones would become smart...? And how should that be possible. Well it could be somthing like this:

For example imagine we have a nokia N9-02 with MeeGo 2. This system would record/listen/watch everything the user is doing on a timeline basis. After sometime the N902 starts to see patterns in the way we use the device. So every morning at 7 am i start my coffee machine and read the news on my n902 and see the weather forecast. So after 50 times the phone registers the sound of a coffee machine around 7 am and searches its database for tasks that have somthing to do with this. So the N902 starts up the news and weather forecast websites for you even before you have unlocked the phone.

These kinds of things are the things i want to see in future smartphones. making a phone really smart

Last edited by sygys; 2010-12-10 at 13:31.

And then after breakfast i go to the bathroom.
Imagine what database the smartphone will search after registering my 50th fart?

Sorry Sygys. That was of course a joke. My apologies.

However imho i am not very fond of automatic features specially without user knowledge or permission. For instance i hate when an application goes on line automatically even if it is only for checking for updates.
Even the automatic updates in N900 application manager should have a settings option.
I was forced to disable all repos to disable that feature in my device.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I prefer if the devices around me become prorammable and connected instead... couple that with near-field communication tech, then the 'smartphone' in my pocket will be the rosetta stone to unlock all kinds of activities in my house.

Well I will lead a few years of very convenient and automated life before I get diagnosed with testicular cancer due to the nuts getting roasted too closely by the transmitters.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by sygys View Post
Wouldn't it be great if smartphones would become smart...? And how should that be possible. Well it could be somthing like this:

For example imagine we have a nokia N9-02 with MeeGo 2. This system would record/listen/watch everything the user is doing on a timeline basis. After sometime the N902 starts to see patterns in the way we use the device. So every morning at 7 am i start my coffee machine and read the news on my n902 and see the weather forecast. So after 50 times the phone registers the sound of a coffee machine around 7 am and searches its database for tasks that have somthing to do with this. So the N902 starts up the news and weather forecast websites for you even before you have unlocked the phone.

These kinds of things are the things i want to see in future smartphones. making a phone really smart
That's an interesting idea and hopefully see something like this in the future.

However, realistically:
The N902 will learn you like coffee and will automatically order coffee via the internet.

Unfortunately your N902 takes out a loan and purchases a coffee-bean plantation in Columbia instead.
Now that you have no money and owe a columbian drug lord about $300 million dollars in interest payments but the N902 gets you a new job.
You are now a drugs mule smuggling a cocaine across the mexican border.

Your N902 receives an over-the-air upgrade, realises its mistakes and slides into clinical depression.

Your N902 completely loses all self-respect and starts serial dating iPhones.

The N902 tries to rescue you by smuggling you out of Mexico and you start a new life in another country.

You realise you were better off in Mexico because you are starting your new life in Belgium.

Due to a bug in the last upgrade your N902 becomes "tired of living a decadant life", becomes apathetic and spends the rest of its life sitting in the corner of your living room drooling and staring out the window. (WONTFIX).

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I prefer if the devices around me become prorammable and connected instead... couple that with near-field communication tech, then the 'smartphone' in my pocket will be the rosetta stone to unlock all kinds of activities in my house.

Well I will lead a few years of very convenient and automated life before I get diagnosed with testicular cancer due to the nuts getting roasted too closely by the transmitters.
It ends on a good note though.

One day you go to the bathroom and due to the effect of the transmitter discover you've pooped out an exact clone of yourself in the toilet.

The clone ages at an accelerated rate and realising that your cancer is incurable the clone keeps you locked in the basement and takes over your life. Your clone discovers he is super-intelligent and takes over Nokia.

Nokia enters a golden age of innovation and creates the world's best phones. Nokia takeover Apple.

You discover that your clone absorbed the cancer from your body and he dies from cancer instead.
You are now cured and decide to buy a small tropical island and retire on the gazillions of dollars your clone made when he was alive.

But you still insist on owning a bl**dy iPhone!

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by sygys View Post
The future you envision is coming. Wait a few years and handsets will become smart just like you have described.

Best regards.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
skynet! :O yeah i'm not a fan of electronics automating things wihout my knowledge or permission. i definately dont want it recording everything i do. if i want the news at 7am every morning there are ways of setting that up without big brother checking whether i've had my coffee yet! in the fture i would like to see more inter-compatability, like we see with n900 and palm pre gaming, or linux apps, or remote desktop. but just moreso and easier. i should be able to control my xbox and ps3, and setup should be a simple and straightforward process. if i can actually run my applications on my home pc and move all the processor usage off my portable device, (aswell as storage etc) phones can be purely designed around form and function rather than fitting these around other essentials. i want all my electronics on my own personal network, and be able to run them at full capability from wherever i am.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

I want a device I could talk to So that whenever it lags I could just talk to it not to lag anymore.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
On a per app basis definitely yes. Globally, not so much.

Any change in your routine would show how dumb the phone is.

BTW, what you describe is what is happening right now when you are on-line. If you use a Google web app like Gmail you will notice that the ads you are served change relative to the time of day and what is mentioned in your e-mails.

I do wish individual apps would get smarter though. For instance a media player that generates a random playlist based on the first song you pick from your library. If it's a head banger tune it serves you head banger tunes. etc.

On-line apps like Pandora do this now based on seeded information.

Why couldn't the same be done with a local media player?

SLN member # 009

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Is this the sort of thing you are talking about? Then I'm all for it. Only don't make it too intelligent

Tags
could tmo, get any worse, hot air baloon, skynet