Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
I never understood why so many people are using forced rotation in combination with a (large) blacklist.

Most landscape apps are designed for that orientation. Because it is most convenient (like your app), or they where created in the pre-portrait era of the N900.
That's why I only have a small whitelist in my transitions.ini, with apps that scale/function well even in portrait mode.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Issue is it's not always that easy to find the correct words to enter in the whitelist or blacklist to make the rotation work.

Hence and thus not easy to make a whitelist GUI.
Right! Exactly! This is an operation that can have detrimental effects on your apps. It shouldn't be trivial to enable, right?

Yeah, I understand that managing these lists is a pain. But doesn't that also mean that "forced-rotate" has truly evolved well beyond a mere debugging tool, if we're worrying about how end-users interact with a whitelist?

Anyway, I don't mean to be a pain here. It just seems to me that it'd be nice to implement this feature a little differently, since it does seem to gradually be becoming a feature.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2012-10-26 at 22:48.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I think that the forced-rotation mechanism is critical to many people. Portrait mode lets you use the N900 with one hand only.

There can be a /usr/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini.d/*.blacklist, where a specific app could be blacklisted. Generally it'd be good if all the PageStackWindow-based QtComponents apps would be blacklisted by default, as they're landscape-displayed by design.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
I think that the forced-rotation mechanism is critical to many people. Portrait mode lets you use the N900 with one hand only.
Well, but you don't need to break the rotation locks on absolutely everything, do you? Sure, I can try to put portrait mode support into Pierogi, but you're going to have to hold the phone at an extremely awkward angle in order to use it... I believe there are some apps that benefit from not being forced into portrait mode.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, but you don't need to break the rotation locks on absolutely everything, do you? Sure, I can try to put portrait mode support into Pierogi, but you're going to have to hold the phone at an extremely awkward angle in order to use it... I believe there are some apps that benefit from not being forced into portrait mode.
I'm thinking about something else: if you're a developer, you create a file yourapp.blacklist, and it's taken into account. And your app is landscape only. Just as with /etc/sudoers.d

This way you can easily create portrait only apps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
I'm thinking about something else: if you're a developer, you create a file yourapp.blacklist, and it's taken into account. And your app is landscape only. Just as with /etc/sudoers.d

This way you can easily create portrait only apps.
But I already have a landscape-only app! I've built it using the official Qt rotation handling mechanism. Until the CSSU comes along and breaks this functionality.

Doesn't it make more sense to have a list of apps that need to be broken, rather than create a list of apps that need to be repaired after being broken? (And, from what I'm gathering, the size of these blacklists seems to be getting pretty large; a "whitelist" might be smaller, and therefore easier to manage...)

Last edited by Copernicus; 2012-10-27 at 15:30. Reason: Whoops, portrait/landscape switch

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
But I already have a portrait-only app! I've built it using the official Qt rotation handling mechanism. Until the CSSU comes along and breaks this functionality.

Doesn't it make more sense to have a list of apps that need to be broken, rather than create a list of apps that need to be repaired after being broken? (And, from what I'm gathering, the size of these blacklists seems to be getting pretty large; a "whitelist" might be smaller, and therefore easier to manage...)
Sorry, I made a typo!!!

I meant: this way you can easily create landscape only. If your app doesn't work nice under forced rotation, you - the developer just add one file and it's all! Your app is blacklisted.

I meant: this way you can easily create landscape only.
I'm just saying, I've already created it landscape only.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I'm just saying, I've already created it landscape only.
And this doesn't work well with forced rotation. So in my concept you'd create one small file so that hildon-desktop recognizes this as a lndscp app.

Is this a good way out?

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
And this doesn't work well with forced rotation. So in my concept you'd create one small file so that hildon-desktop recognizes this as a lndscp app.

Is this a good way out?
Well, it's certanly what everybody using CSSU seems to be doing today.

Let me try to phrase this in a different way: Maemo has an official user interface mechanism, with an official manner in which to handle rotation signals, and an official mechanism with which each app can control rotation. I am using that official mechanism.

When you "force rotation", you are essentially invalidating that mechanism. Thus, it was not my choice to cause Pierogi to be displayed in portrait mode, it was yours.

Your solution is for me to now invalidate your choice to invalidate my choice, by adding my app to the blacklist.

Sure, I can do that. I'm just saying, it might be easier to avoid all this unnecessary back-and-forth by not breaking all the rotation locks to begin with...

Tags
cssu testing