Originally Posted by jaark View Post
The solution is to get the device replaced with a working one.
My thoughts exactly (and that's exactly what I did). My replacement unit is still working perfectly after the better part of a month now. Turns on quickly and easily each and every time I push the power button.

What would people recommend to a recent buyer who has the issue? Send it back and hope the new one works right? I wish Nokia would update us on this issue. And the GPS as well, I'll be pissed if they release an N815 with better GPS.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Just posted a get around solution, hope this help, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...362#post127362

__________________________________________________ ______
- xterm
- sudo gainroot
- shutdown -r now

you are back on without running the risk of this 'N8x0 power on/off enigma'.

I am so very very very happy now, I can reboot my N800 every single f*&(*&(*^king time without worry it wont come on, I am the happyiest folk on earth..........................................WOW
I just reboot more than 5 time,boot from mmc, boot from flash.......... I am so very happy

Hey, some Linux guru, please can someone turn that into a small compiled program and I can put it in my home page of the iT, and I can just click on it whenever I need a reboot, please?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-01-14 at 14:27.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
- shutdown -r now

compiled program and I can put it in my home page of the iT, and I can just click on it whenever I need a reboot, please?
How's this related to switching the device off? You are just rebooting it without switching it off. You might actually switch it off using "shutdown -h now" but i doubt that this is technically any different from switching it off from the menu that pops up when you hit the power button for a short time. All these approaches finally trigger the same mechanisms to shut the device down and i really doubt that this makes a difference with respect to the power on off enigma.

My n810 had this problems in two of the three times a have switched it off the last three days. I have never had this before with my n800, so there's definitely a difference. Also the tips here (plugging the power supply in for at least 35 seconds, ...) didn't help. What did help was that i removed the battery for a few seconds. After that i could switch the device on.

MoG

TO EVERYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM:

Can you tell me something: is this problem a standard for ALL devices, or is this power issue a rarity?

I've done my homework for days now, and so far I have yet to find one reason as to why I should not order a N800, and I'm ordering two. One for me and one for my GF.

This power issue is extremely discouraging.

Furthermore, I have yet to read anything of a success story by sending one in to Nokia.

Has anyone with the problem sent their N800 in to Nokia, and recieved a fully functional device?

Please, let me know, anyone. This power issue, by far, makes it extremely frustrating to want to order them, as everything else I have found seems to be non-existant once I find that that particular problem doesn't really exist, through a little extra digging. But this power issue doesn't seem to have an end.

Please, let me be wrong.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
How's this related to switching the device off?
I am suggesting a way to get around this SERIOUS problem. You dont understand. NOT my problem.

akd: I am also curious to see how common is this problem. You think you can set up a poll to ask for people to cast a vote that they NEVER have this power-On problem, i.e., their device come on ANYTIME they hit the power button or however they hit it, ever since they own the device. If the vote is more than a couple of hundreds, then I will say the power on enigma is really a small batch of unlucky tablet owners.

Mine is about 50-50, so it is VERY frequent. And it happens more during the end of the day. Now, I bypass the problem by NOT turning it off, just reboot if the tablet mess up or if I have to switch to different OS. I do not have to 'fear' this problem for over 36 hrs and for the first time, I am leaving the charger in the house. Yup.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-01-15 at 14:03.

Originally Posted by SeCALPHA1 View Post
Has anyone with the problem sent their N800 in to Nokia, and recieved a fully functional device?
Yes, me

Well, not returned directly to Nokia but where I bought it from. I'm pretty sure at least one other in this thread has sent their tablet back and received a working one.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
My first 810 had the power on problem and I took it to be replaced and got a new one. Never had the problem since.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I am suggesting a way to get around this SERIOUS problem. You dont understand. NOT my problem.

akd: I am also curious to see how common is this problem. You think you can set up a poll to ask for people to cast a vote that they NEVER have this power-On problem, i.e., their device come on ANYTIME they hit the power button or however they hit it, ever since they own the device. If the vote is more than a couple of hundreds, then I will say the power on enigma is really a small batch of unlucky tablet owners.

Mine is about 50-50, so it is VERY frequent. And it happens more during the end of the day. Now, I bypass the problem by NOT turning it off, just reboot if the tablet mess up or if I have to switch to different OS. I do not have to 'fear' this problem for over 36 hrs and for the first time, I am leaving the charger in the house. Yup.

bun
Bun: Poll is open. I've decided to open the power on problems by model. If you think it can be improved, fell free to let me know.

The Following User Says Thank You to akd For This Useful Post:
Hello again, I'm back with a updated summary of my n810 experience to date:

I purchased my brand new unit on December 6, 2007, and immediately had trouble turning it on after the initial battery charge.

Unable to find a complete software / finesse solution to the issue, but loving the n810 so much that I didn't want to give it up even for a day, I eventually and reluctantly decided to send it in to Nokia for warranty repair. Their turnaround time was spectactular by anyone's standards: they received the unit on January 10th, performed their repair tasks, and then mailed it back to me on January 11th.

Now that I have the "repaired" unit back in my possession, I will tell you all something that will make your hearts sink. I STILL CAN'T TURN MY TABLET BACK ON WHENEVER I WANT. They sent back the same unit, with notes that were not as detailed as I had expected. "Fault Information: NO PWR UP/DOWN / INTERMITTEN" and "Repair/Parts Used: Full Software Upgrade & Phone Reset"

The fast turnaround time was great, but I would rather they had kept it for an extra day or two to actually test it and make sure it worked properly before sending it back.

Just a couple of days ago someone posted a brilliant idea:

xterm
sudo gainroot
shutdown -r now

Restarting my tablet is now a no-risk gamble. Thank you, bunanson.

Unfortunately, as expected (but worth a try) . . .

shutdown -h now

did not change anything, my unit is now off and cannot be turned on. I have plugged it into the AC adapter and expect it to display the battery indicator within an hour or so, and then I'll be able to power up again.............................. ok, it just came back on. That time it took about nine minutes. Not so bad for a completely unpredictable issue, eh?

Since I've had this thing back from "repair" it has recovered in less than an hour each of the four times I have tested it. All I have done to get it working again is:

Sigh
Plug it into the power adapter
Walk away

When I come back to check on it, the battery charge indicator is displayed on the screen . . . indicating that the unit is alive again and ready to be powered up.

I ordered another n810 (directly from Nokia this time) yesterday, and once I have it I will send this faulty unit back to the repair center again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ochrenaut For This Useful Post: